VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 11:20:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: vinstall-iso update??  (Read 8156 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

Uh-oh.. tried install of A4.22 (from within another A4.22 installed from CD). I saw it working its way through the package names, but in the end only aaa_base and vlconfig2 made it to the target partition. Two more attempts yielded same result.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:16 pm »

Uh-oh.. tried install of A4.22 (from within another A4.22 installed from CD). I saw it working its way through the package names, but in the end only aaa_base and vlconfig2 made it to the target partition. Two more attempts yielded same result.
The CLI installer is broken on 4.22
thats what i get for trying to speed it up Smiley
it is fixed now though
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 07:30:59 pm »

LOL!.. not only was it fast, but also efficient. I tried another install without rebooting first, and the whole working partition got wiped clean. That's why my alpha testing is done on dedicated machine.  Wink
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »

I got similar results:
Tried installing A22 from A21, the first time installer told me that I either had a corrupt hard drive(scared me there for a second) or bad partition. Tried again. Now that was a real bad idea as it turns out - now I get kernel panic while booting A21 Shocked

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 01:27:44 am »

LOL!.. not only was it fast, but also efficient. I tried another install without rebooting first, and the whole working partition got wiped clean. That's why my alpha testing is done on dedicated machine.  Wink

So that was it was. I installed from my /usr/local/ partition and when it was finished
/usr/local was absolutely clean.  Luckily I have  a good back-up of that important partition
so damage was just time lost.

Can I try the beta version now safely again with vinstall-iso? I have no other way
at the moment.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »

So that was it was. I installed from my /usr/local/ partition and when it was finished
/usr/local was absolutely clean.  Luckily I have  a good back-up of that important partition
so damage was just time lost.

Can I try the beta version now safely again with vinstall-iso? I have no other way
at the moment.

I did not wait for an answer, downloaded BETA this morning, tried to install
again with vinstall-iso-ng and paid the price:

partition /usr/local wiped clean again Huh Huh Huh it seems in split seconds
and nothing installed.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:41 pm »

I did not wait for an answer, downloaded BETA this morning, tried to install
again with vinstall-iso-ng and paid the price:

partition /usr/local wiped clean again Huh Huh Huh it seems in split seconds
and nothing installed.
the script is updated. please download and try again.
It is important that you reboot between running this script, especially if it doesn't complete successfully the first time.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 06:16:51 pm »

Thanks it worked this time, posting out of BETA with dillo.

I really like this good old way of installing. Never had a love for GUI installer.
The whole installation including setup and rebooting took about 50 minutes.

Interesting /root was all set to my-user-name:1000, therefore could not log-in. Chown to
root:root and all worked. I had not added a user yet.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:50:29 pm by Pita » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: