VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 01:52:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which VL version  (Read 1308 times)
Kimdino

« on: February 05, 2011, 01:16:13 pm »

Hi folks,
I was thinking about ordering up '6.0 Deluxe Edition' but unsure if this will fit my requirements. My hardware is hardly what Vector is aimed at as it is a system that most MS users would drool over but the fact is that I like VectorLinux. The quad-core Phenom and RAID5 drives just mean that I have a system that stays lively and responsive whatever is asked of it. I only want mature, stable software hence my love of an admin-friendly version of Slackware.

I have been running VL for about three years, ever since I ran screaming from Kubuntu forcing me to upgrade KDE to 4.x. I fell in love with KDE 3.5 from its debut and still see KDE4s overcomplication  as a backstep. So I discovered VL and also fell in love with that. I would like to move onto using a 64 bit distro again so am asking if a suitable candidate exists.

So what I am wanting is 64 bit, KDE 3.5 and, last but not least, a nice VL sticker to cover up the grubby patch on my box where a 'Designed for M@%...... ...?£ws" sticker used to be. Can anyone advise me on which version to order/download?

Cheers, Kimdino
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:08:28 pm »

There is no 64-bit version of VectorLinux. I think the only KDE 3.5 (3.5.10?) is the Classic KDE version, which is a free download.

I don't know if there is any work going on with a 64-bit version. They have been started in the past but never finished or released.

I don't think any stickers are available, but someone uploaded some nice designs if you want to print your own on a label of your choice. Look here:
 http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7432.0

I printed my own a few years ago and have them on my two desktop cases.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Kimdino

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »

Thanks. In that case I'll stick with the KDE classic I currently have installed. Though I think I might just make a donation anyway for the value I've been getting for the past couple of years.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: