VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Which VL version  (Read 1503 times)

Kimdino

Which VL version
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:16:13 pm »

Hi folks,
I was thinking about ordering up '6.0 Deluxe Edition' but unsure if this will fit my requirements. My hardware is hardly what Vector is aimed at as it is a system that most MS users would drool over but the fact is that I like VectorLinux. The quad-core Phenom and RAID5 drives just mean that I have a system that stays lively and responsive whatever is asked of it. I only want mature, stable software hence my love of an admin-friendly version of Slackware.

I have been running VL for about three years, ever since I ran screaming from Kubuntu forcing me to upgrade KDE to 4.x. I fell in love with KDE 3.5 from its debut and still see KDE4s overcomplication  as a backstep. So I discovered VL and also fell in love with that. I would like to move onto using a 64 bit distro again so am asking if a suitable candidate exists.

So what I am wanting is 64 bit, KDE 3.5 and, last but not least, a nice VL sticker to cover up the grubby patch on my box where a 'Designed for M@%...... ...?£ws" sticker used to be. Can anyone advise me on which version to order/download?

Cheers, Kimdino

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Which VL version
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:08:28 pm »

There is no 64-bit version of VectorLinux. I think the only KDE 3.5 (3.5.10?) is the Classic KDE version, which is a free download.

I don't know if there is any work going on with a 64-bit version. They have been started in the past but never finished or released.

I don't think any stickers are available, but someone uploaded some nice designs if you want to print your own on a label of your choice. Look here:
 http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7432.0

I printed my own a few years ago and have them on my two desktop cases.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

Kimdino

Re: Which VL version
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »

Thanks. In that case I'll stick with the KDE classic I currently have installed. Though I think I might just make a donation anyway for the value I've been getting for the past couple of years.