VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: changing my desktop environment.  (Read 764 times)

vectuser390

changing my desktop environment.
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:02:04 am »

Hello everyone, I'm a new to vector and I'm having some difficulties tweaking it the way I want.
I Installed the vector light edition, however, I chose to do a "complete" installation, rather than customizing which packages I needed. The results? I ended up having  gnome,lxde and xfce.

I would like to  use only lxde. I've already uninstalled xfce, but if I try to uninstall gnome and its libraries, 99% of my applications  would be removed along. My guess is my current apps depend on these gnome libraries, so my question is this:

How to safely remove gnome and install a full lxde environment with lxde applications and login manager? (I currently have GDM)
My current repositories do not seem to have many lxde applications....

Thank you.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: changing my desktop environment.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:42 am »

Uninstalling Gnome would take you a lot longer than re-installing from scratch.

A full install of Light 5.9 defaults to LXDE, 6.0 would give you IceWM. The other ones must have gotten pulled in from the repo after your initial setup.

vectuser390

Re: changing my desktop environment.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:20:21 pm »

I think I made a mistake. I actually had the standard edition, no wonder 512 Mb of RAM seemed too little. I'm downloading light 6.0 right now, I've never tried IceVm but I'm sure it is very light and speedy, which is the only reason why I wanted lxde.

Thanks for your help, :)