VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 04:14:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 Beta1 bug thread  (Read 41789 times)
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2011, 03:19:30 am »

Hi,

I'm having touble with hibernate on vl7 beta1

when I try to hibernate with
Code:
hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/ram.conf

The notebook hibernates, but I can't get it out of it.
Is there another way to do it ?

cheers

registered user #393337

2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ / 4 gb ram / GeForce GT220 / 500 gb HD / VL7 Std

Samsung NP110 / VL7 Std
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2011, 04:50:25 pm »

When I log in to text mode, I get the welcome messages twice. Same thing if I use "su -" (but not just "su").

Looks like /etc/profile.d/vasm.sh gets sourced by the login script, and then .bashrc?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2011, 05:59:04 am »

Trying vcpufreq with p4-clockmod:
- userspace, performance and powersave OK
- ondemand or conservative:
Code:
Unable to set the desired scaling governor.. try modprobing corresponding governor module: # modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
Code:
root:# modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Error persists.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:26 am »

When I log in to text mode, I get the welcome messages twice. Same thing if I use "su -" (but not just "su").

Looks like /etc/profile.d/vasm.sh gets sourced by the login script, and then .bashrc?

This annoyance is caused by your ~/.bash_profile

.bash_profile sources your ~/.bashrc again, so to get rid of the annoyance, what I do is change that line in ~/.bash_profile where is sources .bashrc like this
Code:
. ~/.bashrc > /dev/null 2>&1

That way, you only get the message once.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 04:44:25 pm »

B1.6 via vinstall-iso-ng:
On reboot gets to:
Code:
ldconfig: Renaming of /etc/ld.so.cache~ to /etc/ld.so.cache failed: No such file or directory
gtk-update-icon-cache: Failed to open file /usr/share/icons/Faenza/.icon-theme-cache: File exists
(gtk-update-icon-cache:XXXX) GdkPixbuf - WARNING **: cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory
The last line repeats until I hit Ctrl-C, upon which it goes directly to text login screen without completing rest of initialization. I can run Autosetup, users, passwd etc, but the loop re-appears on next boot.

There is a directory /.hg with some junk in it. Digging down to /.hg/store/data/ I find a file referencing sbbuilder-0.4.12.2-noarch-5vl60.tlz
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »

Upgraded to Beta-1.8.iso

Flash drive now mounting and an icon showing, however, not the usual vl-hot.
User can mount  volume and to unmount it asks to 'Eject Volume'

Camera can be mounted by user. Same icon as for flash drive. Shotwell  opens
pictures of camera.

More testing later.

exaile not playing audio CD.

gnome-player open with Audio-Disk-File-Manager will not play.
Error Failed to open cdda://sr0/Track%208.wav.

opening gnome-player from Menu will play, however, does not react properly 
to controls.

Audacious now playing audio CD.

xine now playing audio CD immediately. mp4 plays picture only.

CD now being ejected by clicking eject on icon.

Flash playing in Opera.

abiword, gnumeric will not open: Bus error

Menu-Accessories-root-terminal does not open after given password.

Now is my Tea-Time. Grin
What wonderful teas the Chinese do produce.

Fluxbox running well!

Menu-Terminal  Emulator: Failed to execute default Terminal Emulator. Input/output error.

Menu-System/Accessories-Terminal produces nothing.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:59:33 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

I got a new computer to replace my geriatric 1.3 GHz Celeron. It's a HP Debranded Sempron LE-1300 with 2 gigs RAM, NVidia nForce 430 chipset and GeForce 6150SE graphics. This is a slow CPU, single core, but considerably faster than the Celeron computer. It is also upgradable to multicore AMD processors. It is all-SATA and totally different from my old Celeron desktop. The Celeron was a very Linux-friendly computer. I was holding my breath that the new Sempron would continue that tradition. So far, so good. Video, wired network, sound worked without effort on my part.

I got the new computer because it had modern things I wanted, such as SATA support, support for huge  drives, and  PCI-e. Also, it was very inexpensive. It appears to be brand new and I think HP wanted to clear out inventory. The CPU is slow but it also runs very cool and uses little power. I wasn't looking for anything near state-of-the-art. If it proves to be too slow as I use it for a while, I'll upgrade the CPU.

I want to transfer my Linuxes from the old computer. My first attempt with tar files did not work and I didn't want to wait for ideas about how to do it, so I installed VL7 beta 1.8 from a CD I burned. It installed without issues, though I had to use 800x600 in order to have a picture that fit on the monitor screen. I was using an extremely old 1024x768 LCD monitor. However, when I first rebooted after installation so I could continue with vasm, the startup stopped at a point pretty deep into  loading. I turned off the computer and booted again. Stopped at the same point. It all happened too fast for me to get much information about where it stopped.

So I tried installing with my VL7 beta 1 CD. This went fine and the first reboot loaded VL without a stop. I always boot at runlevel 2. The open source nv driver is loading. I do have an issue of the desktop screen overflowing the monitor screen. The new computer now has its permanent monitor attached: a 19" LCD with 1280x1024 resolution. I did rerun X setup with VASM. I'm wondering if this is an NVidia problem, as VL7b1 with the same monitor and the old computer had no screen-not-fitting problems. That computer had a Radeon 9200 video card and used the open source radeon driver.

Anyway, whatever difference crept in between VL7 beta 1 and VL7 beta 1.8 gave me a severe problem. Once I get the desktop screen aligned with the monitor, things should be pretty good.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2011, 08:34:36 pm »

However, when I first rebooted after installation so I could continue with vasm, the startup stopped at a point pretty deep into  loading. I turned off the computer and booted again. Stopped at the same point. It all happened too fast for me to get much information about where it stopped.
Granny......... we tried something new with beta 1.8 which is supposed to reboot your computer. Would you mind trying beta1.7 as its the same but without the new code. Trying to find out if that is source of your problem....... Huh

Cheers,
Vec
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:40 pm »

Trying to upgrade libgphoto2 reports failure:
libgphoto2: Depends: hal >= 0.5.14-i586-4vl70

In Beta-1.8 there is only hal-0.5.14-i486-3
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2011, 12:50:35 pm »

No luck with Beta 1.8:
On the first boot it said it had to run mkfontdir and some other stuff, upon completion of which it said that VL installation was complete and it had to reboot. Well, after it did reboot, it gets to the same place and reboots again. And then just keeps rebooting whenever it gets there.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2011, 01:16:43 pm »

Budulay

Is your locale set correctly (affects fonts)

How is Utf-8 /unicode  utilized
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:48:23 pm by rm-r » Logged

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2011, 04:40:25 pm »

Granny......... we tried something new with beta 1.8 which is supposed to reboot your computer. Would you mind trying beta1.7 as its the same but without the new code. Trying to find out if that is source of your problem....... Huh

I would, except that I'm no longer having the problem. When I couldn't get the right aspect ratio for the screen, I decided to install beta 1.8 to another partition to see if I could get the correct ratio there--and also to see if the reboot problem repeated on a new installation. When I originally installed VL7b1 and 1.8 on my new computer, it was attached to a 15" LCD monitor. I wondered if I'd have the same problem if I installed with the computer attached to the correct monitor (19", 1280x1024). This time when I did the first reboot in beta 1.8, it got to a login prompt. I've done a few reboots, warm and cold, and the hang hasn't repeated.

I still have the aspect ratio problem. It should be 5:4 but it looks like 4:5. Things are distorted so that the screen is too long and disappears at the bottom of the monitor. I didn't use the monitor buttons to resize the screen because doing that messes things up for other OSes or VL versions. I found that running vxconf set nouveau as the driver. I think that's the "improved" open source NVidia driver. Actually, when I used that one, I got a screen of garbage. The nv driver messes up the aspect ratio for the 1280x1024 resolution. I discovered that the vesa driver does okay at 1024x768. I haven't tried nv or nouveau at 1024x768. I haven't tried the proprietary NVidia driver, preferring to wait until it's included in VL7. I'll use 1024x768 until there's a solution for the 1280x1024 aspect ratio.

My old computer with an ATI Radeon 9200 card had no problems displaying 1280x1024 correctly, so my guess is that this is somehow related to NVidia.

Other than the aspect ratio, the things I've tried so far in beta 1.8 have worked fine.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:05:18 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2011, 05:38:52 pm »

W/due regard to this topic as to report beta results, that ignores why any may be  reported

This "aspect ratio" appears to be a common complaint
As far as can be readily noted, it's directly related to ability of any driver  DMA being adequately  probed,
then  applying  found parameters

Varied utilities may assist, (xrandr,  xvidtune etc)
While all above is known to users experiencing such problems, how to aleviate is their  question

ATI catalyst doesn't support Linux running older cards~  often requiring  generic drivers (ati, vesa)
Generic "nv" may not render virtual sizing correctly
Nouveau seems an improvement to nv

Opensource released proprietary drivers are still best (unless strict observations to Gnu.org  Re FOSS is desired) 

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=562255

Example - View above, download bug file, note  results

How any user wishes to apply data is a personal choice:

There is no right vs wrong, all boils down to matter of least inconvenience  desired vs desire
to accept status quo or keep the faith in any developers' capability

Vink8

Vec

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:21 am »

I am an absolute beginner, therefore have patience!

Inside the file of recapitulation

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/PACKAGES.TXT

@Vector (or to whom it may concern)
pay attention to

requiredbuilder-0.16.2-i586-2vl59.txz
chrony-1.24-i586-1vl60.txz
directfb-1.4.3-i586-2vl60.txz
gslapt-0.5.3d-i586-1vl60.txz
mingetty-1.08-i586-1vl60.txz
os-prober-1.29-i586-3vl60.txz
pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.5-i586-1vl60.txz
slapt-get-0.10.2g-i586-1vl60.txz
vcpufreq-2.4.2-i586-1vl60.txz
vlart-6.0-noarch-1vl60.txz
vlgui-6.0-noarch-1vl60.txz
vlinit-6.0-noarch-4vl60.txz
xdelta-1.1.4-i586-1vl60.txz

seem intended to Vec5.9 Vec6

to dep. request of
gambas2-runtime-2.22.0-i586-2vl70.txz
gksu-2.0.2-i586-1vl70.txz
libproxy-0.4.6-i586-1vl70.txz
MPlayer-20101119-i586-1vl70.txz

also @ Kidd and @ rbistolfi
inside
sbbuilder-0.4.12.4-noarch-1vl70.txz
PACKAGE REQUIRED:  perl >= 5.8.0-i586-1vl59 | perl >= 5.8.0-i586-1vl60

Wishing a clear time to all the men and women of good wish!

Until feb 2011 beta, I have repeatedly found this line
|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|

(After DESCRIPTION: and Before the Real description)

I believe that a 'quality packager' have to 'polish up with care' files before up-link (to avoid appear not nedded lines like this 12^ as inside [old link] http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/packages/a/consolekit-0.4.3-i586-1vl70.meta).

(For instance inside:

atkmm, autoconf,
cairomm, consolekit, cython
dbus, dbus-glib,
epydoc,
perl, pstoedit, python-lxml,
vala,

PACKAGE NAME:  directfb-1.4.3-i586-2vl60.txz
directfb|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
directfb: Packager: vl60@vector.Linux.vnet on 27-Apr-2010

fribidi,
gc, glibmm, gnome-common, goffice, gsl, gst-python, gtk-murrine-engine, gtkmathview, gtkmm,
hyphen,
libcanberra, libcfg+, libdc1394, libffi, libgee, libgexiv2, liblastfm
and so on...)

@ nightflier
I'm not requested 'What' ruler is, but (if you 'want talk') 'Why' nobody see and erased all this (duplicated, no more needed) rulers before 'yesterday nite' beta!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:55:52 am by Vink8 » Logged

| Opera 11.11 | Skype | Kismet | Ecofont Vera sans |
Pentium III + 256 MbRam + nVidia Riva Tnt + Aureal au8820 Vortex 1 -
- Bluetooth Cambridge Silicon Radio -
- Canon i-Sensys Lbp8900 - scanner Lg ScanWorks 600p FB62DD -
- Y C@m Oregon Scientific DS3899 Vend.0553 Prod.0202
Samsung N150 Plus
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2011, 07:05:33 pm »

Vink

How that packages list is generated may be automated
What quality assurance checks are run is unknown_

Maintainers do best ,  mistakes  Shocked "will"  happen,  all Vectorites are encouraged to participate
w/this effort (*BIG job)  to prepare V6 Pkgs to V7 (Pls note how rapidly   beta versions are uploaded)
This is ALL part & parcel of  polishing any version prior to release class announcements

If you believe present procedures are flawed:
VL community would welcome any  script supplied  to check data-base for errors

E.G.: Naming conventions  of Pkgs, version corectness etal

Please NOTE:    There ARE  guides posted to use of sbbuilder

Since I have often  expressed  Embarrassed   opinions Re what may seem preferable option to solve  temporary VL glitches
(using VL default utilities vs CLI methods)

It seems only fair to point out, critiquing sans offering alternatives is not helpful to any

However, as all are  personal viewpoints, the final arbiter is acceptance or rejection by peers

Best wishes

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: