VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 11:04:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 Beta1 bug thread  (Read 46605 times)
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« on: February 09, 2011, 03:33:37 am »

I just installed it on my Samsung n110 netbook
Everything is working properly except the touchpad.
It recognized it during the installation but I can't scroll and move windows with the touchpad.

Great work!

greetz

nic

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:40:49 am »

I just installed it on my Samsung n110 netbook
Everything is working properly except the touchpad.
It recognized it during the installation but I can't scroll and move windows with the touchpad.

Great work!

greetz

nic

This may be an xfce4 setting somewhere.... I remember in the past my touchpad wouldn't work by default, until I went to the settings and enabled it.

jimtib

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:01 am »

Is there a problem with using ati  video. I installed on two different computers one with onboard and one with a pcie card and i have to use vesa on both. One is amd64 single core and the other is amd quad core. I have had to use vesa since about alpha 4.12and have installed every alpha since and also on beta1. The radeon driver worked fine on 6.0. I have tried all the options to setup x and vesa  is all that works.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:08:05 am »

Install to my T61 was fine. Localization is still broken (attempting to use UTF8 makes nano and MC unusable from the desktop).

I'm having problems with builds under the beta as well. Seamonkey build fails:

Code:
file_id.cc: In member function 'bool google_breakpad::FileID::ElfFileIdentifier(unsigned char*)':
file_id.cc:98:20: error: 'fstat' was not declared in this scope
gmake[6]: *** [host_file_id.o] Error 1
gmake[5]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[4]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: *** [libs_tier_toolkit] Error 2
gmake[2]: *** [tier_toolkit] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make: *** [default] Error 2

I've yet to trace the source of the failure. Something missing?

I've also had a strange problem with another build. The latest version of Medit builds fine, but, after installation, attempting to use the help function calls Abiword, not the default web browser, as it should. Don't understand that one either....

Can't say I like the way the task list works much - there seems to be no way of grouping tasks only when space on the bar gets low - the options are always or never, which is a bit annoying.

I had some initial problems with the network functions in Thunar, but they seem to have settled down. Initially, any attempt to open a network share resulted in an error message:

Code:
Failed to open "Docs".

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus).

Paul.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:04 am »

For an md5sum, I get

b018ab549c75ffc1da79d0fdbc748891  VL7.0-STD-Beta-1.iso

What do you get?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:12:35 am »

For an md5sum, I get

b018ab549c75ffc1da79d0fdbc748891  VL7.0-STD-Beta-1.iso

What do you get?

The same, so I guess we're ok. Thanks!
jahLux

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:06:31 am »

Downloaded/burned CD and had great difficulty installing. Unsuccessful/incomplete attempts on 2 different Panasonic laptops.
Finally installed - with difficulty - on my custom built AMD QuadCore/4GB/12 partitioned 1TB HDD Desktop m/c.
LILO refused to install from GUI installer - finally installed using install CD in "Manual Install" mode to 'Repair LILO'
This Beta is definitely NOT ready for primetime . . . . . . just sayin'  Wink
caieng

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:15:40 am »

Greetings.

Apologies, for having goofed, and submitted this first message earlier this morning to the wrong section of the forum.  Haha.  Nobody is perfect, right!

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12807.0

To summarize that message:  I failed to install the beta version, also, i.e. as others have reported.

Later on this morning, I then attempted to install in a third computer, a much more modern motherboard, with PIV "D" cpu, and DDRII RAM, and succeeded, ALMOST. 

At least, I made it past the two errors described earlier today, at the wrong place in the forum.

I arrived at the same error, as a year ago, i.e. create a user.  This problem has still NOT BEEN FIXED!!!!

I entered the usual single letter, I always use, (for I enable autologin, so no need for a complicated user name or password), and obtained an error message, saying that I needed to change the user name, because that one was already in use....Huh  how can that be, I am installing it for the first time!!!

This is not a new error in the installer, it was there already in 2010.  The installer needs to accept a single letter name, and a single letter password, else,
ENABLE AUTO LOGIN, right from the get go, which, in my humble opinion, makes A LOT MORE SENSE, and is consistent with a first class hotel accommodation, instead of a hammock in the barnyard.

When I acknowledged "my mistake", and signaled my willingness to change my user login name to some other letter of the alphabet, the installer instead exited the routine, as if finished--a second bug, in the same part of the installer, same as a year ago..... 

A very minor, but esthetically unsatisfying point:  the disk does not automatically eject, upon completing the installation....... It is acceptable to compel the user to push the button, but it is just not slick, to do so.  Looks like we are camping out, instead of staying at a reasonable bed and breakfast.....

After reboot, a lovely login screen appeared, very classy, however, it refused to grant entrance.
I know from past experience that I will be obliged to reboot again, with the cdrom, and fiddle with the login business.  That's really not what I desire, so I am going to hold off doing anything further, until these various problems are solved.

As before, please let me know if you need any log files, posted, or sent by email.....

regards,
CAI ENG
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:52:07 pm »

A very minor, but esthetically unsatisfying point:  the disk does not automatically eject, upon completing the installation....... It is acceptable to compel the user to push the button, but it is just not slick, to do so.  Looks like we are camping out, instead of staying at a reasonable bed and breakfast.....

I much prefer it when cdrom does not auto-eject.

My computer case has a door across the 5.25 bays and auto-ejection always bangs the drive tray against the door.

Also having the user manually push a key for eject, will prevent the tray from remaining extended for a long period, if the user walks away to get some coffee for example. Additionally and probably most importantly, if the cdrom auto-ejected, and the computer auto-rebooted... The cdrom would be retracted at boot up and installer would boot again ;P

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:04:38 pm »

Install to my T61 was fine. Localization is still broken (attempting to use UTF8 makes nano and MC unusable from the desktop).

I'm having problems with builds under the beta as well. Seamonkey build fails:

Code:
file_id.cc: In member function 'bool google_breakpad::FileID::ElfFileIdentifier(unsigned char*)':
file_id.cc:98:20: error: 'fstat' was not declared in this scope
gmake[6]: *** [host_file_id.o] Error 1
gmake[5]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[4]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: *** [libs_tier_toolkit] Error 2
gmake[2]: *** [tier_toolkit] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make: *** [default] Error 2

I've yet to trace the source of the failure. Something missing?

Paul.

new gcc requires explicit listing of includes in sources. there may be a gcc-4.3 patch out there for seamonkey, otherwise you will have to upgrade to the latest beta version.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:43:16 pm »

Installation with vinstall-iso went smooth. I did not add a user when asked as
is my habit. Add it later and again this time with no problem using 'adduser'
/root was set to my-user-name:1000.
From terminal
code:
'Chown -R root:root /root '

does correct it. vinstall-iso must have picked something wrong.

Sound card was found correctly with USB webcam plugged-in, however, alsamixer
could not be found for sound card only for USB webcam. Unplugging webcam
alsamixer could not be found, not such file or directory.

gkrellm is still not opening. Invalid instruction.

My printers were found have to supply yet the ppd.

gslapt working installed dillo, joe, sendmail, mailx
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:07:57 pm by Pita » Logged
burpnrun

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »

Permissions in /root and subdirectories/files are a mixture between root, and the user specified in setup, for user and group.  Fresh (full) install into a Virtualbox VM.  Using "user" account, desktop appears.  Signing into/using root account is impossible since it throws up the .dmrc permissions error and drops into a terminal, immediately after password is entered.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:33 pm »

I installed today on my 1.3 GHz Celeron, my usual testing machine. My first attempt to install hanged the computer early in the process; the initial "choose resolution" screen hadn't come up yet. I had to turn off the computer with the power switch. After a cold boot the installation went fine. I used 1024x768 because I was always unable to use 1280x1024 in the alphas and I figured that probably didn't change.

I'm sure you know that there is a bunch of udevd error messages during startup.

I haven't had time to do a lot of customizing and installing, but here's what I've found so far.
Opera's license agreement is still a blank screen.
For the exit screen I have only Logout option. Restart and Shut Down are grayed out.

I had no problem creating a user during installation; 1000 was correctly assigned as UID. I'll have to check on the /root problem others reported. I never log in as root; I always log in as user and su to root, do what I have to do, and exit back to user. Also, I always use runlevel 2. I really hate GUI logins because it's more complicated to get out of X.

Tomorrow I hope to install beta 1 on my faster desktop computer (Athlon 64 X2 4200+). I didn't try an alphas on it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:03:17 am »

Booting with USB webcam disconnected starts alsa correctly.

Results for some players:

mplayer plays audio CD.

xine takes about one minute before it has made up its mind to play.

the next 3 players could not play. Here is output:

:$ audacious

** WARNING **
Audacious has detected that your ALSA device has a broken timer.  A         
workaround
is being used to prevent CPU overload.  Please report this problem to your
Linux distributor or to the ALSA developers.

ALSA lib pcm.c:7245:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured

:$ gnome-mplayer

(gnome-mplayer:3050): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for 
`cdda:///': The specified location is not mounted

(gnome-mplayer:3050): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to
error parsing markup: Error on line 2 char 29: Invalid UTF-8 encoded text in
name - not valid 'Lang nimmer g\xb4seng'

:$ exaile
WARNING : Failed to connect to HAL, autodetection of devices will be
disabled.

Clicking on Audio Disc Icon, then Eject Volume gives:
Failed to eject "Audio Disc"
Not Authorized
and nothing is ejected.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »

More testing and installing today.

Audacity won't start. Message: audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Flash is not working in Opera. I see a new version of Flash has just come out. I'll install the plugin and see if Opera works after that.

SeaMonkey is working fine. The complaint about a missing dependency continues in Gslapt, but there are no error messages when I start SeaMonkey from the command line.

Something changed the address of my DNS server to my router's address. I don't know what it was. Will confirm the next time I boot. I ran netconfig and fixed it.

I had installed wine 1.3.11 from the /home/ftp directory on my VL7 a4.22 directory and the few programs I run under Wine worked well. Then I updated to 1.3.12 from the VL7 testing repo and Wine stopped working. It claimed a mismatch of wineservers. Rather than struggle with that, I uninstalled 1.3.12 and reinstalled 1.3.11 and my under-Wine programs are working well again.

Haven't installed my printers yet and didn't have time to install beta 1 on my other desktop computer.

I've figured out how to get my Panel launchers and Panel set up to my liking.

In all, it's doing pretty well. I haven't tried the script for LibreOffice yet.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: