VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 05:57:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 Beta1 bug thread  (Read 45357 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:09 pm »

Trying to play audio CD with gnome-player by clicking on Audio Disk icon
error 'Failed to open cdda://sr0/Track%207.wav.' is reported.

However, opening gnome-player from Menu-Multimedia audio CD does play.

Since I booted with webcam plugged to USB port alsamixer shows
USB 2.0 Camera as Card. This does not deter CD to play.

When I unplug webcam I get
 In the midst of the word he was trying to say,                     |
|                       In the midst of his laughter and glee,                           |
|                     He had softly and suddenly vanished away---                        |
|                       For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.                             |
|                                                                                        |
|                     (Lewis Carroll, "The Hunting of the Snark")                        |
|                                                                                        |
|                            The sound device was unplugged.                             |
|                         Press F6 to select another sound card.                         |
|                                                                   

Press F6 and select audio card shows all the control of the usual alsamixer, however,

@~:$ alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

Flash plays both in opera and firefox, however, w/o sound. Will try on next
booting with webcam unplugged.

~/skype_static-2.1.0.81/ crashes when trying to make a test call.

skype: pcm_null.c:130: snd_pcm_null_start: Assertion `null->state == SND_PCM_STATE_PREPARED' failed.

[1]-  Segmentation fault

Booting with webcam unplugged flash plays in opera with sound.

Got gkrellm up and running by copying gkrellm from VL6 over to VL7-BETA. Wink
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:01:20 am by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 11:06:02 am »

When I insert a flash drive, it doesn't automount. I think I selected vl-hot on this old Celeron because I don't want polling going on. It needs all the help it can get!

If I try to mount the drive as user, it won't do it and gives me an error message:
Failed to mount 4.0 GB Filesystem
Not Authorized

I can mount the drive as root.

Any solutions? Or is this related to those udev error messages that flash on the screen during startup? I'll switch to HAL and see if the flash drive is automounted, or at least mountable by user.
GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 02:23:44 pm »

I installed beta1 on my Athlon 64 X2 desktop. It has onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics. Installation went okay. I rebooted into runlevel 2 and continued the setup with VASM.

Alas, I can't get into X. I believe others have also experienced problems with ATI graphics. Note that on my other desktop with ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card I have no problems and VL assigned the correct driver automatically.

In beta1 on the Athlon 64, the xorg radeon driver was installed automatically. This driver has always worked in earlier versions of VectorLinux. The final error message is
xinit:unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

I edited xorg.conf, substituting the ati driver for the radeon driver. Results the same. I edited xorg.conf, substituting the vesa driver. XFce did start but at 800x600 resolution, which is pretty grim on a 1600x1200 monitor.

So I guess I'll give up for now and await a fix or the second beta. I was really looking forward to running VL7 on a much faster computer than my warhorse 1.3 GHz Celeron.

I should also mention that a got a hang on the Athlon 64 fairly early in the installation process. I turned off the computer with the power switch, did a cold boot, and this time the installation proceeded smoothly. I also got a hang on the Celeron the first time I tried to install beta1. A cold reboot solved the problem and no further problems occurred during the installation.

The Athlon 64 theoretically should be able to use the proprietary Radeon driver. However, when I've tried the proprietary driver supplied with VectorLinux it hasn't installed correctly and I had to use the xorg radeon driver. I never got around to trying the proprietary driver downloaded directly from ATI. The Radeon 9200 on the Celeron cannot use the proprietary ATI driver, as ATI does not provide drivers for old cards.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:50 pm »

~/skype_static-2.1.0.81/ crashes when trying to make a test call.

After changing sound devices in skype it is working now. Test call possitive.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 11:50:14 pm »

If I insert a flash drive I get:

:$ thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
thunar-volman: Unknown block device type.

and it is not mounted.

If I mount it manually as user it is empty even so it files have been loaded in VL6.
Back to VL6 all files in that flash drive show.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 07:34:02 am »

Alright, I tried this in a virtual machine for now (I'll install to a real partition later). Here's what I found:

- the bootscreen on the cd still says it's VL core.
- after installing, there were troubles setting up the user: the user "me" was already found on the system. This seems like the same problem "Caieng" is facing:
I entered the usual single letter, I always use, (for I enable autologin, so no need for a complicated user name or password), and obtained an error message, saying that I needed to change the user name, because that one was already in use....Huh  how can that be, I am installing it for the first time!!!

This is not a new error in the installer, it was there already in 2010.  The installer needs to accept a single letter name, and a single letter password, else,
ENABLE AUTO LOGIN, right from the get go, which, in my humble opinion, makes A LOT MORE SENSE, and is consistent with a first class hotel accommodation, instead of a hammock in the barnyard.

When I acknowledged "my mistake", and signaled my willingness to change my user login name to some other letter of the alphabet, the installer instead exited the routine, as if finished--a second bug, in the same part of the installer, same as a year ago.....

After rebooting, I could not log in as normal user because there was none created. Logging in as root caused problems too though, I only got a terminal. I added a user to the install with vasm.

The login and desktop look very psychedelic.. is this default? I'm not sure wat kind of audience we're trying to attract here..
Pidgin doesn't seem to have an icon in the launcher bar thing.

Alright, forgot about the rest of the bugs for now.

@Pita: your audio problem can be fixed like this: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4888.0

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 01:07:59 pm »

A few more problems on the 1.3 GHz Celeron...

Exaile won't start. Error messages:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 51, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 48, in main
    exaile = main.Exaile()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 78, in __init__
    self.mainloop_init()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 495, in mainloop_init
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_pixbuf_format_get_type

Shotwell starts but won't import photos. I wanted links to them rather than the files themselves. File names are grayed out. Error messages:
Code:
(shotwell:16971): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_window_set_default_icon: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (icon)' failed
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/003/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/004/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/005/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/005/002: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/005/003: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/006/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/007/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/007/002: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/008/001: Permission denied.
Audacity won't start. Error message:
Code:
audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed the new plugin for Flash. SeaMonkey and Firefox are working fine with it. Opera still thinks it doesn't have a Flash plugin, even though I copied the plugin file to /usr/lib/opera/plugins

A general question: What are Functions and Readme.Functions in the services? They aren't checked in Installation but do I need them? What are they for? I always install Fuse because I use NTFS drives in Windows but I don't know what Fuse does. Do you need it for sharing NTFS drives?

I ran the script for LibreOffice and it installed fine, as far as I can tell.
--GrannyGeek

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 04:29:37 pm »

Boot-up message:
Code:
/usr/lib/libtalloc.so.2 is not a symbolic link

Text login screen broken by message:
Code:
Local time zone must be set--see zic m
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »

Thanks Headacher!

@Pita: your audio problem can be fixed like this: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4888.0

Its seems to be working at least sofar with twice booting. Had to create file sound.

Now,
cron/crontab does not work.  crond is running:
$ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/cron status
crond running with Process ID 1956
yet no commands are executed. My crontab file is the same as in VL6,
permission settings at all at 600 root:users.
In vasm services cron is enabled for user.

Edit:
Got crontab working now. It was a matter of the setting in /etc/group
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:07:23 am by Pita » Logged
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 11:30:56 pm »

Still can't install on any of my machines with the text installer, it's been the same with (almost) all of the alphas I've tested. Is anyone using it successfully? Luckily the GUI installer works, though I miss the ability to check the CD for defects that you get with the text installer, as well as its speed. Once installed the beta looks nice and seems stable. Some problems found as below.

Can't install Thunderbird, missing gconf>=2.3.1.1

I always set up my (wired) network setting through vasm. When I click on the Wicd icon and check the connection properties all the fields are empty except for host name. Is this normal? I've never used Wicd before.

I've got a strange problem with svg files not showing up. For example, when I install the xfce-mount plugin the icon (which is an svg) doesn't show. And when I try to run Shotwell from the menu it won't start, and when I run it from the terminal it gives an error message "Resources.vala:663: Couldn't recognise the image file format for file /usr/share/shotwell/icons/crop.svg". I've not seen this error in any of the betas and no-one else seems to have reported it, so perhaps it's just me. Could it be connected in some way to the fact that I uninstalled the Cairo Dock?

I'm able to play movies and mp3s in all the players, but Gnome Mplayer mutes the sound every time it opens.

Gslapt used to offer to save passwords, a useful feature, but doesn't at present.

I blanked a CDRW using Xfburn and after that it wasn't recognised any more (on any computer) and can't be used. I'm not sure what happened, but it's not a test I want to repeat too often as these a $1 a plop.

Andy

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:06 pm »

Andy,

>> Can't install Thunderbird, missing gconf>=2.3.1.1 >>

The same thing happens with SeaMonkey in Gslapt. However, I could install it by telling it to install despite the "missing" dependency. It works fine once installed and there are no complaints when I start SeaMonkey from the command line. Have you tried installing Thunderbird despite Gslapt's complaints?

I had the same problem with Shotwell but for some reason, it finally did start. However, when I try to add links to photos, I got the error messages I listed in my message above and Shotwell terminated.

My CDRW's are about 10 years old and are limited to 640 megs, so I can't use them to burn VL7 beta1.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:36 pm »

When booting today mouse would not work and report gpm [failed]
Checking in ../init.d/gpm -t was set to auto. Chaged to imps2 and mouse worked.

Further
:$ shotwell

** ERROR **: Resources.vala:663: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/shotwell/icons/crop.svg

Checking crop.svg with geeqie there is only a blank and at botton it says empty.

ls -l /usr/share/shotwell/icons/crop.svg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10299 Jan 16 20:38 /usr/share/shotwell/icons/crop.svg

Further:
When I connect my camera nothing is mounted. In VL6 it is mounted
automatically and I can view pictures even with mc.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 05:54:22 am »

Thanks GrannyGeek, I followed your advice and installed Thunderbird ok. As for the CDRW, although I couldn't use it in my two Linux machines, I put it in a Windows XP box and copied data to it with no problem. A bit strange, though I have have had incompatibilities like that on occasion.
Andy
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 04:46:09 pm »

Installed RealPlayer and working.

Installed gthumb-2.12.2 and working as well properly.

Why gthumb, well I am used to it and find it the better of the lot. For one
thing it always finds my camera to transfer the pictures which I cannot
say of the other programs for that. In VL6 I have to use gthumb- 2.10.12.

It would be nice if VL could incorporate gthumb in its repertoire.
demigaucher

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 04:20:59 am »

Hi all

I described my first attempts elsewhere (which was clearly the wrong place):

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12807.0

Now I finally succeeded, but I confirm the observations made by Jimtib and GrannyGeek:
I tried all possible combinations for the graphical interface, and the only one which worked
was VESA, with which the fonts are blurred and usable only for tests, but unacceptable for a
definitive installation.

Surprisingly, the alpha version, issued some time ago, did not gave me any such problem
and booted in a clean graphical mode the "usual" way (as with VL6.0).

More posts later.

Demigaucher
happily running VL6.0 on a shuttle X
with AMD Athlon X1900+ @1463 MHz, 512 MB ram
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: