VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 06:17:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 Beta1 bug thread  (Read 45052 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 03:20:21 am »

Installed kernel-src-2.6.37-i686-3vl70

Trying to install nvidia with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.19-pkg1.run
nvidia-installer.log gives:

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 96.43.19.
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.37/source'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/2.6.37/build'
-> Performing rivafb check.
-> Performing nvidiafb check.
-> Performing Xen check.
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
   executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make clean'...
-> Building kernel module:
   executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.37/source S
   YSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.37/build'...
   NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
   make CC=cc KBUILD_OUTPUT=/lib/modules/2.6.37/build KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/
   modules/2.6.37/source SUBDIRS=/tmp/selfgz2300/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.19-pkg1
   /usr/src/nv modules
   make -C /lib/modules/2.6.37/build \
   KBUILD_SRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.37 \
   KBUILD_EXTMOD="/tmp/selfgz2300/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.19-pkg1/usr/src/nv" -f
   /usr/src/linux-2.6.37/Makefile \
   modules
   /usr/src/linux-2.6.37/Makefile:546: /usr/src/linux-2.6.37/arch/i586/Makefile
   : No such file or directory
   make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.37/arch/i586/Makefil
   e'.  Stop.
   make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
   NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
   nvidia.ko failed to build!
   make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
   make: *** [module] Error 2
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.

Strange the same nvidia version installs in VL6 and there is no ...i586 and ...i386
has no Makefile.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:26 am »

What's with all the dbus output during the boot process?
or is that just me? something about rules and stuff.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 09:20:24 am »

Strange the same nvidia version installs in VL6 and there is no ...i586 and ...i386
has no Makefile.

you either need to run the installer from a text login or you need to "unset $ARCH" before running the nvidia installer
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »

Alas, I can't get into X. I believe others have also experienced problems with ATI graphics.
I edited xorg.conf, substituting the ati driver for the radeon driver. Results the same. I edited xorg.conf, substituting the vesa driver. XFce did start but at 800x600 resolution, which is pretty grim on a 1600x1200 monitor.
Granny, I had troubles with ati graphics when alpha testing VL6SOHO. As I understand it, the 'ati' driver is a dummy driver that actually attempts to pick the correct opensource driver for the graphics card (in your case, 'radeon').  During my troubles my system was attempting to load the rage128 driver both via 'ati' and 'r128', and the final resolution was that the driver (r128) was not included in that particular alpha release. I do recall that I was able to grab the 'r128' driver from a previous release and place it in the correct modules directory to get the graphics working correctly. I wonder if your situation is similar, and if you simply copied over the 'radeon' drivers from the most recent VL7alpha if it would fix your graphics issues. I don't recall the exact location of where all of the ati graphic drivers are stored but it was not a place I would normally look. If I can track down the location I'll let you know. Hope this helps (and makes sense).
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 04:46:36 pm »

What's with all the dbus output during the boot process?
or is that just me? something about rules and stuff.

Just do what it says in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-vl-hot.rules and it will stop.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »

I wonder if your situation is similar, and if you simply copied over the 'radeon' drivers from the most recent VL7alpha if it would fix your graphics issues. I don't recall the exact location of where all of the ati graphic drivers are stored but it was not a place I would normally look. If I can track down the location I'll let you know. Hope this helps (and makes sense).

I'll give this a try. I don't think it will work, though. My other desktop with VL7 beta1 has an ATI Radeon 9200 card and I use the xorg radeon driver. It works fine on that computer, but in VL7 beta 1 on the computer with ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, the radeon driver does not work. I'll try to find the radeon driver in VL7 a4.21 and see if it works better on beta1. Maybe I'll luck out.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:56 pm »

VL 7 is "Beta" ??
Fear not, all other linux variants have glitches -even sources based
> Mutally exclusive "blockages" - profile overlays, CVS vs GIT)
> Forks of forks - "parent" vs borrowed upstream sources !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caieng:
Default password utitiliy Cfg is to set 8 keyboard characters as lowest allowable.
3 failed login attempts - then exit to CLI interactive shell
A user "can" root access /etc/shadow, blank out anything between *first two*  colons

E.G. root : xxxxxx :xxx: xx :etc_  >  root : (delete all  here)   : 
 named_user  : xxxxx :     > named_user : (delete_)  : 
  Then create user later w/edited *login.defs* conventions (Please see  /etc/login.defs)

BTW it's only a simplistic two-line bash command to create a user, set password
 Besides, it is bad practice to use "one-letter login" 
 OTOH _ If you are the  only user - why use any password if you find it  "inconvenient"
GYI log-ins - that is a subjective opinion only
The  downside - you miss login processes & notifications-all for the sake of "convenience"
NO time is saved   
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Pierce.jason:
 This may shed some light/reconfigure behaviour

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/sr.html
 Burpnrun:

Virtualbox environment may mislead user as to what to expect Re Hrd/Sftware experiences:
 It is only a reflection of compatiblity between VM tools & Distro tried
 GG:
 You may already be aware - there is a diference to (su) vs (su -l)
> and Esp. "temporary"  (sudo)
 > Please refer to shells, & user (caller) for inherited  environment profiles
 NTIM _ I fully agree  ~ GUI anything merely hides the underlying processes,
 side-steps the LINUX learning curve
 VL hot > latest  udev (and hot-plug) should be the present standard
 See Hal configuration Re polling

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL
  As always - read your relevant logged error files

Cordially all, - Hope above may help in some small way
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:43:30 pm by rm-r » Logged

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:26 pm »

has no Makefile.

you either need to run the installer from a text login or you need to "unset $ARCH" before running the nvidia installer

I only tried to install from the console. That did not work.
However,  now nvidia is up and running.  The command is "unset ARCH" not $ARCH
after one let install run first and fail.

Thanks Uel
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:33 am »

I may have posted about this before, but just in case I didn't...

I'm unhappy with the way the various media players are working. Today I'm playing quite a few of my music files and want a playlist so I don't have to run them individually. I can't get any of the players to do this right.

I did make a good playlist in Gnome-Mplayer, but it didn't play the music in the order listed in the playlist. These are classical music files and it's important for them to be played in the proper order, not randomly. Also, it didn't list the correct title of the track being played. It had a title for another track. What's up with that???<g>

So then I tried Mplayer, but it was hard to create a multitrack playlist from several directories. If I did get more than one file into the playlist, it wouldn't play the list unless I selected each track when I wanted it. Xine did the same thing and if I tried to add a file to a playlist, it replaced all the files already in the playlist. It's quite likely I just don't know the right way to create a multifile playlist in MPlayer and xine, but I can't find anything in Help to tell me how to do it if there's some trick.

Exaile does a good job with playlists, but Exaile doesn't work on VL7. This is what I get at a command prompt:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 51, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 48, in main
    exaile = main.Exaile()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 78, in __init__
    self.mainloop_init()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 495, in mainloop_init
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_pixbuf_format_get_type

So it seems I can't go through a playlist with any of these media players.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 02:02:18 pm »

"I can't find anything in Help to tell me"

Granny - is this (found on-line)  of any help ? 

"Mplayer and mplayer-gui can be installed at the same
time, because they contain differently named binaries and there is no
conflict. The trick is to build MPlayer once with --enable-gui, rename the
resulting binary to "gmplayer" and then build it again, without GUI, but
keeping the rest of ./configure options the same.

To provide man pages for all MPlayer suite binaries (mplayer, gmplayer,
mencoder), you can use man-links instead of regular symbolic links.
Creating a mencoder man page linked to mplayer is as simple as:

echo ".so mplayer.1" >> mencoder.1

A similar trick can be used for "man gmplayer". This avoids problems with
gzipped man pages and symbolic links."

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »

rm -r--

No, what you quoted isn't of any value because these media players need to work out of the box. I'm reporting a problem in running what should work simply by clicking on the name in the menu. If it doesn't, it needs to be fixed. Starting it from a command line is for the purpose of seeing if the app won't start because something is missing or is not set up correctly.

I don't consider man pages to be "help." Mostly, I find them incomprehensible and so do many other Linux users. They are sometimes useful for examples of syntax.

>> mencoder man page >>

What the heck is that and do I really want to know?<g>

At any rate, this is something that needs to be fixed in the distro, not by individual users.

I'm probably your worst nightmare as a user because I'm not a fan of the command line and I don't care if it's "more efficient" because my system is efficient enough without going through geeky commands I have a lot of trouble remembering. I don't do anything that requires that kind of efficiency anyway.

I don't hate the command line and there are a very few commands I use frequently enough to remember what they are, but I'll usually use a GUI tool if it's available.

In alpha/beta/rc testing we're trying to find what doesn't work so it can be fixed. We're not trying to get it to work *just for us*.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

rm -r,
I'm sorry I didn't say thanks for posting your message and for taking the time to look things up and pass them on. I do appreciate the effort.
--GrannyGeek

rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »

Granny:

I fully understand - You are very welcome - IMO,  everyone *should*  use their system in any manner that is best for themselves
(and I appologize _ so used to sources based O/systems -  tend to forget  many do not  want to be  CLI oriented)

(A prime example of * why* more attention  to  CLI may be  desirable:  Please note how you typed my user-TAG)
 man rm  see the "space" you applied to a parameter - that could be system FATAL

~ It was useful in the least - giving pause to script -kiddies a while back, when I.P mail server was compromised
Schadenfreude  (best scene) some Linux miscreants had reason to swear

Few years back, my outlook was "hard-core";   Unspoken but thought.... what do (collective) "you"   want

"Just a free Windows"    - So I have mellowed - but LOL ,  perhaps not so it's noticeable 

Tho' I do think testing needs three types of input:
User reports,  developer responses &  sometimes - developers NEED alternate info
It is noted,  many variants become myopic - focus  on system-specific/developed  "modus operandi"

Best wishes

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:45:49 pm by rm-r » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 05:31:39 pm »

(A prime example of * why* more attention  to  CLI may be  desirable:  Please note how you typed my user-TAG)
 man rm  see the "space" you applied to a parameter - that could be system FATAL

I've been wondering why you'd use that for your screen name. I didn't look closely enough to  notice if you had a space. I still don't understand why you'd use it, space or not, because there could be a disaster if someone typed it with space and as root at a prompt, for some unfathomable reason.<g>
--GrannyGeek

rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 03:07:13 am »

Granny

> " I didn't look closely "  Ahh -  that was the message -
The outcome of most glitches eventually re-enforce that insight

*Disaster*  hardly  - it is only software,  not life

Why use any such now - previously, it was but one safeguard employed to avoid what appeared to be
the INITIAL bytes of a rootkit attempt (I.P.'s OWN  e-mail server was compromised TWICE)

Changing I.D. & password only  "slowed" events - Encryption requires KEY for recipients

Chrootkit (later stronger RKhunter) revealed  suspicious (logged) activity
The mere fact I found such bytes - indicated "script-kiddy"
Now -  it serves to remind Linux devotees to not be lax to details
BTW - That error is well known to most CLI users - as the CLASSIC mistake of all

If a GUI addict, they might reflect on saying: "You are forever but one click away from...."

TAG !  <--- That word is so descriptive, any might be  a  phonetic play_on_words Re actual name
Says much  the same as ~ Im-i      

Any Language - spoken/ written or  A.I. coding - can be a delight or abused  ;
As to which, - Plse excuse the Mea Culpa ~   this is all off- topic 

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:42:29 am by rm-r » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: