Just got back after three weeks away and eagerly downloaded beta 1.10 for a try out. Still no joy with the text installer on my IBM p4 or Compaq P3, the machines just lock up a few seconds after the uncompressing the kernel message. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but it misses out the "loading init.lz" stage which appears in the GUI installer. Am I the only one having problems with the text installer or am I the only one using it?!
Installation with the GUI installer went off OK. The screen resoluton was set rather low (800x600) but could be adjusted after logging in. The login screen is changed from earlier betas and looks less attractive now, especially as it was displayed at a low resolution (for me). Incidentally, the installer identified the iso as Beta2, not 1.10 as downloaded.
It's good to see the number of installed apps steadily increasing, along with the expanding reps. But I couldn't successfully load the extras rep from any of the sources I tried - is it supposed to be active yet? Testing and patches worked OK though. I tried quite a few of the pre-installed apps and installed others using Gslapt so I'll just note what didn't work for me.
Clicking Help in the menu opened the browser but it couldn't find the target page.
After installing audacity it wouldn't run, "error while loading shared library libwx_gtx2u_richtext-2.8.50.O"
I installed Firestarter and tried to start the interface from a root terminal (a normal user can't access it) but got the error "While connecting to session manager: Authentication Rejected..." and "GLib-GIO: ERROR: gdbusconnection.c:2279 ..."
Streamtuner installed OK but it's set to use xmms as the default music player, so it gives an error message when attempting to play a stream. It's easy to change it to audacity in the settings, but it's better not to have to.
htop has a missing dependency, ncurses>=5.7 and lyx has one too, util-linux-ng>=2.18