No, I did not use ldd on source nor did I look too deeply into the log files. It was a quick-and-dirty test.
I did give another method a shot and had better success. I downloaded the debian deb package; converted to tar.gz package using 'deb2targz'; renamed to .tgz package; installed using 'installpkg name_of_package.tgz'; edited the /etc/timeouts config file to disallow a specific user from logging in; ran the daemon; and tested the user that was disallowed. Everything mostly works. The package gets installed and is immediately usable. The daemon runs and stays running. I then tested the disallowed user and they are able to login but after about 5-10 seconds they get a message indicating that logins are not allowed at this time and they are dumped back to the login screen. Overall, fairly successful - I'm not going to get much done in 5-10 second intervals, especially if it involves the internet.