VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 06:44:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot get VL SOHO 6 to open  (Read 5321 times)
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:39:48 pm »

The logs might tell something, but I am not proficient enough to access them even if I get a good LiveCD to work.

My Slax USB stick boots up without any obvious hitches. Slax doesn't seem to find the ethernet card or wifi. I'm not convinced the video card or window manager are the problem. With the power management stuff for laptops, I think something is timing out too soon. Vector may have cheat codes that are scripted differently (like noacpi may not be the same as acpi=off). I tried as many combinations as possible to boot the install, but post install, you have to let 'er run. I left the machine unattended for some time thinking maybe it was doing an fschk and needed time.

Anyway, I will wait 'til the bugs are worked out of VL7 before I try this again. If I can access the VLSOHO partition on this drive, I will try to retrieve those logs.

Thanks for all the patience and help.
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »

post install, you have to let 'er run

the laptop seems to be quite hot while in action. My last old laptop died under a VL install, so maybe I am just a little gunshy.

HOW LONG   Shocked - if stuck in a loop, &  devices  constantly spun up/down, CPU cycles are  maxed,
 ALL  creating heat ~ So YES - overheat...  Esp   on a laptop, may occur

Unfortunately, (user preventable) subsequent damage is not covered in terms of  Wink  warranty policy
OTOH, (while)  Below URL may amuse, provide diversion from frustrations:

http://www.oocities.org/ftcc_operatingsystems/chapter_4a.htm

Distro developers may  wish to ponder  this tibit:

CPU Cycle Time (Running Queue Time):  The amount of time the CPU spends in executing a job.  It may also include the OVERHEAD  required to service a job, such as saving the process control block during context switching.
If a job in the READY state cannot proceed because a required device fails, it should be sent back to the HOLD state, not the WAITING state.

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »

If I can access the VLSOHO partition on this drive, I will try to retrieve those logs.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Highly recommended - /w large amount of included powerful tools, most any task desired becomes readily possible

~ Access errant installs, (including Windows)  compare Sysrescue configuring of own hardware_

~ Restore boot loaders - repair files systems - possibilities of use use are restricted only by  user timidity

Hey,   It's only software ~ why not explore/expand knowledge ~ENJOY  new-found computer skills

(Nobody wasn't  Wink born  an "expert")

Trinity: ~ They still call me nobody:
barber's son asks his father if there is anyone in the world faster than Beauregard, to which the barber replies "Faster than him? Nobody!"

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: