VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 07:18:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot get VL SOHO 6 to open  (Read 4735 times)
Pet3M0ss

« on: February 19, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »

Trying to get VL SOHO 6 to run on a Dell Inspiron laptop with ATI mobility Radeon and AMD TurionII P520 processor. It's a refurb lappie from Dell.

Used the Win7 partitioning app to get partitions set. I plunk in the ol' VL 6 SOHO discs and things seem to go pretty nicely. I opt for LiLo instead of GRUB for a boot loader. On reboot, LiLo is looking good, everything loads up until I get to the gui multiuser part, and then nothing but black.

OK, I start fiddling with VASM and vxconf to hammer out the Xorgsetup arrangements for Vector Linux. After much experimentation (I believe ALL the options), I find that the ATI config at least gets me from going to gui multiuser script line to a black screen with a pointer. Pointer does travel all about.  Hmmmm, I see the hard drive light seems to be doing a lot of work. I cont-alt-F4, and the screen opens what is happening on the hard drive (not pretty). The thing is scrolling like I was compiling something really big. Lots of lines with "kglobalaccelerator" in a never-ending stream!

I get tired of the Matrix cloning and hit Control-C. Stuff stops and I have a command line. I try root and try to "startx" from the command line. Some error message shortly returns with a line about an Xorg server tied up in some sort of error.

Any suggestions?? I don't know if the problem is incorrect vxconf or if the KDE is messed up. I tried to install VL Standard on another partition, but the install aborted itself before it would load any packages.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:18:09 pm »

To see if it is a KDE problem change the window manager
by this command:

xwmconfig

Change to another WM and try startx again.

Bigpaws
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:03:28 am »

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10835.0

Side notes:
Referring to above - VL 6 SOHO use KDE 3.5 - which is regarded as very stable
(Caveat - The "alternate DE"  was proposed (Joe 1962 kernel post),  since the VL version was upgraded but not revealed)

Posting of logged files - which  contain error Msgs, will help to trouble-shoot
See /var/log/ files (other directories may also have relevant content)
~ Such as /tmp or  your /home/

Vector should default to vesa or generic ati  drivers @ install -
NO minimum resolution being enforced (if edid probe is correct)
Useful tools :
scanpci
xrandr
http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/xorg.conf.5.html

If unable to correct  display problems,  please post your xorg,conf content

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:05:39 am by rm-r » Logged

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:54:57 am »

I'll look to see if SOHO installed an alternative windows manager. Xfce is (I believe) and extra, and I'd have to get further along to make that work.

Thanks for the tip on checking for the files in /var/log. I often wondered if there was a place where I could read what was happening behind a gui booting screen.

Some sort of default must work cause the boot screen is being rendered beautifully. I suspect I am caught in some sort of KDE loop.

Thanks for the tips. I will report back when I can reboot near another computer. Not that I expect a rapid reply, I just need to be able to record error messages directly to get them correct. I have "tractor's disease" (Allis-Chalmers).  Grin
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:00:20 am »

If you run the command
dmesg
you'll see the course of the startup. If you want to save dmesg as a file, try this:
dmesg > dmesg.txt

That should direct the dmesg messages to a text file called dmesg.txt. Also check dmesg for information when you plug something into a USB or Firewire port and want to see if the system accepted it and where the system thinks it is.

If you want to copy error messages you may get at a command line when you attempt to start a program or do another operation, you can swipe them with your mouse, which will copy them to the clipboard. You don't hit Control-C or any other keys to do the copy. It's a Linux thing. Then hit the mouse wheel or the middle mouse button in a forum reply window, or open your text editor and hit the mouse wheel. This will paste the message at the position of your cursor. Pasting empties the message from the clipboard and if you want to paste it again, you'll have to do the swipe-to-copy thing again.

/var/log/messages is also a great place to look for information on what's happening.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

> " I often wondered"   LOL - take care what you wish - it may get  granted_

Addits to
Granny & Bigpaws  good suggestions

Dmesg is always created @ successful boot-up

The boot process  file  gets logged "essentially"  as (latest) /var/log/messages
Display  events log is (Xorg-O.log)  or (Xorg.errors.log)

Running  the command dmesg ("piped to")  >    (chose_any_file_ name_desired) takes the output as directed by the (>)
&  creates a  plain ascii file  which can be read at leisure
NOTE  - that file will reside in the directory the command was run

To check if any  newly plugged in device (or removable media) has been found by system:
Normally, all  really wanted ,  is latest system events -
Alternative to wading through all - Run command (dmesg| tail ) 

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/iodirection.html

"tail"  outputs only (configurable amount ) of  last lines Re  events, loading OR unloading
The funnny looking symbol (|) is the  "pipe" optional  parameter  .  The upper-case of  (\ ) key

While often useful ,
 Quote:  " If you want to copy error messages you may get at a command line ":
 Result can be puzzling -  I.E.,   failed command
Output event also depends on default command  behavior
Example  - command is executed but no output is normally displayed to screen

When in doubt, please refer to the command's  man or info pages
One excellent alternate resource: http://linuxreviews.org/man/

Most distributions  include man pages - but that does not help - if/when the  name/spelling
 (or even existance) is not already known

HTH

Pet3M0ss

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:06:48 pm »

Thanks for the help. SOHO has "twm" as an alternative window manager, and twm did work.

I think I had a poor install. Picked up the VL 6 standard disc and used the "old" tui for installing. Played with cfdisk to set up new partitions. Install went fine, but for some reason the network card would not configure. Some kind of mind tricks!!

Because I have to use the machine, I bailed and re-installed Win7. Will have a go again when I cool down and have more time to check out what might be happening.

Thanks guys!
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:17:18 pm »

Pet3Moss

(How is that pronounced petty-moss?)
Ok that does it - You are now ostracized  ~
Hmmph Windows indeed (just kidding -  whatever works is the best solution for anyone)

Hope to see you back soon -  (always check the download's md5sum first ) 

Best wishes

Pet3M0ss

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »

AA Haa, rm-r, as I am presently posting from another VL-SOHO 6 install, you cannot (by order of the Great Penguin) ostrich me  Tongue

Using the same disks, I braved through another install. Basically, on boot, everything goes fine until the screen says "going multiuser" where I assume it's getting ready for the log in. Everything for the gui halts. When I return to the text screen, the scrolling madness is going in starts and stops. I hit Contrl+c and things halt. I Contrl+c again and I get ~$. So I type "startx", and bang, I'm on the desktop!! No real log in takes place. Most strange. I will check the logs to see if there is something useful.

Now as I try to work my way around KDE 4 (memo to self- install Xfce window manager ASAP), I find I cannot get the Gslapt to open. My thoughts were to upgrade stuff as maybe some patches have been made that would make this thing run better. If Gslapt isn't viable, what are some options?? If I'm going to have to build my own packages from source, I might as well use Slackware

Sometimes things improve with reboots, so I will keep slugging and looking for patterns.
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:14 pm »

Ah-Ha!!  And I thought I was the only one that was having this problem:
everything loads up until I get to the gui multiuser part, and then nothing but black.
..I have tried to install SOHO 6 several times on my P4--2.8Ghz--1G ram--160G hd Dell G270 Optiplex,  and even on  my older Dell G150 Optiplex (P3--1Ghz--512mb ram--160G hd).  Same thing happens every time.  I get to the part were it says its going to the multiuser gui...........then it just sits.  And sits.  And sits.  And sits.   Cry
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:41:04 pm »

Occasionally my Dell Inspiron laptop with VL6 Light goes black during startup. It's video-related. I'm just glad it works at all.

What I discovered is  that the startup is continuing under the black screen. When disk activity stops, I type in my user name, wait a few seconds, then type in my password. The screen is black while I'm doing this and I can't see what I'm typing. I do use runlevel 2, so underneath the black is text, not a GUI.

Than I type
startx
Lo and behold, X starts and I wind up at the IceWM desktop.

Give this a try if your screen goes black and stays there. It's a kludge for sure, but it gets the job done for me.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 08:02:11 pm »

ni ghthawk,

You might try Alt+F1 at hang up time (or various Fx combinations). Mine was sometimes scrolling and sometimes locked. The Cntrl+C is then used a couple of times to get a command line login. I previously posted I thought the boot  bypassed the user login, but on a second boot, I did in fact log in somewhere along the line (gets a little confusing when you don't know what you're doin'). I can log in as root, but never get the startx to open the desktop. As a user the startx works, but it is quite slow booting the KDE. Gslapt icons do not respond, and the command will not respond as root from a shell. This may sound strange, but the laptop seems to be quite hot while in action. My last old laptop died under a VL install, so maybe I am just a little gunshy.

I tried the "blind" log in, GrannyGeek, but no success. Actually, my black screen experiences usually had an unresponsive cursor at the very top left. The Alt+F1 treatment would go to the rolling script where the Cntrl+C stopped the looping. If the problem is video-related, why do all the graphics look so polished at the start and when the desktop appears??

Using a DVD from a Linux for Dummies book, I installed openSuSe 10.3 without using any cheat codes. I was able to launch KDE-classic Live CD by using lots of "noapic noapm ide=nodma... etc." While KDE-Classic did run well, vliveinstall, setup, etc. would not install to the hard drive. Vector Standard 6 installed after a lot of coaxing with boot parameters, but it does not recognize the ethernet card (follows that no internet connection means no upgrades).

Well, enough ranting. I gave Vector Linux a shot, but it's been too unpredictable.
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 08:27:56 pm »

If willing - what about trying a newer VL version ?

Conversely, @ boot prompt, try passing vga=ask to see what console modes are available

That sets graphical frame-buffer vesa standards for GUI log-in window screen
Once desktop is started, xorg.conf  sets desktop graphics, using compatible GPU  chopset driver
(when found & activated)

Pet3M0ss

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:57 am »

Is VL7 maturing enough for a go??
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:49 am »

Downloads are  waranteed to refund cost of purchase

VL 7 announcement of  beta  states  "This release is a major update from VectorLinux 6 "
Changes since are fast & furious

Nothing  odd Re you H/ware ~ generic ati/vesa generally give no problems
If you followed tips Re logs, those should have indicated underlying cause

Users can only relate experiences w/their own systems
It is up to Vectelopers to read reports, pin down bugs ~ post fixes

Best wishes

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: