VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Updating Firefox  (Read 3180 times)

Alb

Updating Firefox
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »

Hello,
I've just updated Firefox to version 3.6.13 on my VL 6.0 Light, from VL repositories. In spite of that, as soon as I launched it, I was invited to update it to version 3.6.15, downloading that update from the Mozilla-Firefox Server. I know that with Linux things are different and that the best way to update an application is downloading it from the repositories. So, I did not download anything. Is it correct?
Best Regards

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Updating Firefox
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »

You are correct, it is usually best to stick to the versions in the repositories.

That said, there is currently a problem with the updating mechanism of our repo. I like to keep my browser up to date, so this is what I did:
As root, in a terminal,
Code: [Select]
cd
mkdir -p firefox/src
cd firefox/src
wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/source/testing/net/firefox/3.6.13/src/mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/source/testing/net/firefox/3.6.13/src/mozilla-firefox.desktop
chmod +x mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
mcedit mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
at this point, find the version number (3.6.13, at line 14) and change it to 3.6.15
press F2 to save, F10 to exit, then enter command:
./mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
it will take a while. When it is done:
cd ..
upgradepkg firefox-3.6.15-i586-1vl60.tlz

You may delete the /root/firefox directory when done. No guarantees. Use at own risk.

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »

firefox version 3.6.15 is in the repo now.

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »

The repo (testing) version 3.6.15 seems to work fine.  I am in habit of also installing the new adobeflashplayer by downloading the tar.gz version, expanding it in pcmanfm and then copying libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  Don't know if there is an easier way to update flashplayer, but am now in the habit of doing this. 
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Alb

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:21:58 am »

Thank you all,
As for the new adobeflashplayer, I downloaded the .rpm one, converted to .tgz by means of rpm2tgz and installed.
Best Regards