VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 12:09:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating Firefox  (Read 2794 times)
Alb

« on: March 06, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »

Hello,
I've just updated Firefox to version 3.6.13 on my VL 6.0 Light, from VL repositories. In spite of that, as soon as I launched it, I was invited to update it to version 3.6.15, downloading that update from the Mozilla-Firefox Server. I know that with Linux things are different and that the best way to update an application is downloading it from the repositories. So, I did not download anything. Is it correct?
Best Regards
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »

You are correct, it is usually best to stick to the versions in the repositories.

That said, there is currently a problem with the updating mechanism of our repo. I like to keep my browser up to date, so this is what I did:
As root, in a terminal,
Code:
cd
mkdir -p firefox/src
cd firefox/src
wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/source/testing/net/firefox/3.6.13/src/mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/source/testing/net/firefox/3.6.13/src/mozilla-firefox.desktop
chmod +x mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
mcedit mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
at this point, find the version number (3.6.13, at line 14) and change it to 3.6.15
press F2 to save, F10 to exit, then enter command:
Code:
./mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild
it will take a while. When it is done:
Code:
cd ..
upgradepkg firefox-3.6.15-i586-1vl60.tlz

You may delete the /root/firefox directory when done. No guarantees. Use at own risk.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »

firefox version 3.6.15 is in the repo now.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »

The repo (testing) version 3.6.15 seems to work fine.  I am in habit of also installing the new adobeflashplayer by downloading the tar.gz version, expanding it in pcmanfm and then copying libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  Don't know if there is an easier way to update flashplayer, but am now in the habit of doing this. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Alb

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:21:58 am »

Thank you all,
As for the new adobeflashplayer, I downloaded the .rpm one, converted to .tgz by means of rpm2tgz and installed.
Best Regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: