VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 05:31:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HowTo: Get Skype to recognize your audio hardware  (Read 3134 times)
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: December 28, 2006, 01:55:17 am »

VectorLinux uses ALSA for its sound controller system. The mosts recent versions of ALSA create a ~/.asouudrc file in the user's home directory.
If you get an error when using Skype, saying that there is a problem with your audio hardware, then open Tools --> Options --> Audio devices
Make sure that ALSA is selected as the master device, not OSS.
Then in a terminal (as a regular user), type:

Code:
mv ~/.asoundrc ~/.asoundrc.BAK

That will force Skype to use the main sound controls, and you should be able to make your calls  Wink
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:46:20 pm by easuter » Logged

stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:10 am »

It works that easily? I should have tried that out before. It took me a while to get it working(http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=859.0). Is the alsa dmix problem fixed already? Or is it just with my computer?

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:10:02 am »

Is the alsa dmix problem fixed already? Or is it just with my computer?

Yeah, I think so. I found various mailing lists refering to this kind of problem, and the easiest one mentioned was to simply move ~/.asoundrc.
It works for me  Smiley

tab0reqq

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:33:48 am »

Hi. Its my first post.

What i did to make Skype work with my hardware. First of all i downloaded RPM package for SUSE not Source.
then
Code:
rpm2tgz rpm-skype-package-for-suse.rpm
su
installpkg rpm-skype-package-for-suse.tgz
after all i had all 100% working. Before (with source package) i couldn't get it work Smiley

p.s. Sorry for my english Smiley

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:55:14 am »

Hi. Its my first post.

What i did to make Skype work with my hardware. First of all i downloaded RPM package for SUSE not Source.
then
Code:
rpm2tgz rpm-skype-package-for-suse.rpm
su
installpkg rpm-skype-package-for-suse.tgz
after all i had all 100% working. Before (with source package) i couldn't get it work Smiley

p.s. Sorry for my english Smiley

Thanks for sharing that info. Smiley
However, the tarball provided by skype is binary only, and that way you can place the components in the right place.

SuSE RPMs might not install everything to the correct locations....well in this case it looks like it did Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: