VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 10:11:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel onboard video chipsets, VL 7, and the 2.6.38 kernel  (Read 1585 times)
fogpipe
Vectorite

« on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:06 am »

The best video perfomance i have been able to get with the betas of VL7 and intel onboard video has so far been with the 2.6.35 kernels and the 2.13 xf86-video-intel driver, even then x would sometimes go into software mode, it never totally died or left the screen unusable tho.

However, after switching to the 2.6.38 kernel and the 2.13 xf86-video-intel driver and libdrm 2.4.23-i486 (the versions of both included in the first VL7 beta) i have experienced the most stable video yet with the VL 7 beta. This is the kind of performance im used to getting from x with good hardware.

See this article as a reference:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_clarkdale_q111&num=1

I wasnt able to try the recommended versions of mesa and libdrm in the above article with the 2.14 driver. (no x dev headers in VL7) but with the 2.13 drivers, libdrm 2.4.23-i486 and mesa 7.9. X is solid.  Hoping that someone will consider this re the final release version of VL 7.

Thank you

UPDATE: it just crashed after about 10 hours, right after i posted this  Grin Unlike some configurations of kernel and intel driver tho, it didnt leave the other ttys frozen or blank, it jsut went into software rendering mode so it was easy enough to restart x. Looking forward to trying the config in the above link with the 2.6.38 kernels when there is some X devel stuff for VL7

UPDATE: Still flaky i guess the 10 hour stretch was a fluke. Im sticking with VL6 and the 2.2x kernels till the release. I give up.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:49:51 am by fogpipe » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: