VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 03:29:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7 Beta2 bugs and observations  (Read 36442 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:27 pm »

Please report bugs, comments and anything of use to help us get to vector7 final here . Please only reports from a full installation of the current beta2 should go here.

Thanks,
Vec
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:29:21 pm by vector » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »

I downloaded the ISO, checked the md5sum, and burned a CD. I installed on my two desktops: Athlon 64 X2 with ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics and Sempron LE-1300 with NVidia GeForce 6150SE graphics. Installation went fine on both systems, although I had to use 1024x768 in order to get a screen that didn't extend beyond the bezel of the monitors (1600x1200 and 1280x1024).

Alas, I cannot start X and get a graphical desktop, no way, no how, on either system. I've tried all the options in VASM. It could be that I need to use the proprietary ATI and NVidia drivers, but you wouldn't think that X would not start at all with open source drivers, even VESA. And yet that is the case.

So I can't do any testing of beta 2 until I can get X to start. I'm writing this from VL7 b1.8.

startxfce4 is no longer available, only startx.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »

Grannygeek,

Can you try the text installer and see if you get different results?
I have startxfce4 in /usr/bin on Beta2, so it should be there.

Thanks,
Uelsks8s
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »

No problems using hosted ISO install. Nice job cleaning up the boot process, no errors behind splash screen on my machine.   Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »

I'll try the text installer tomorrow and report the results.

I just now checked and there is only startx, not startxfce4 in my /usr/bin directory.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:13:13 pm »

Beta-2 installed with vinstall.

init 2
unable to start fluxbox

xinit: Unable to run program "/us/bin/startfluxbox": No such file or directory
Specify a program on the command line or make sure that /usr/bin
is in your path.

ls /usr/bin/startfluxbox
/usr/bin/startfluxbox

startfluxbox
xmodmap:  unable to open display ''
Error: Couldn't connect to XServer

In /etc/X11/xinit there is no xinitrc.fluxbox

startxfce4 in init 2 flash drives cannot be opened by user  Cry

Opening programs (abiword, gnumeric, shotwell, etc) from terminal one gets:
/home/user/.gtkrc-2.0:15: Unable to find include file: "~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

In xwmconfig there is no fluxbox!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:38:42 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »

I did a text install from the CD and had the same problem.  Can't start X. If I type startxfce4 I get
-bash:startxfce4: command not found.
There is no startxfce4 command in /usr/bin.

startx does not start X. I looked at the Xorg log but most of it I don't understand and couldn't see what makes X unable to start.

My md5sum was fine but I burned the CD with xfburn. Would it be worth switching to my VL6 SOHO Deluxe partition and burning with K3B?
--GrannyGeek

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »

Granny something is definitely wrong try k3b see if it goes better......... Grin

cheers,
Vec

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »

Beta-2 installed with vinstall.

init 2
unable to start fluxbox

xinit: Unable to run program "/us/bin/startfluxbox": No such file or directory
Specify a program on the command line or make sure that /usr/bin
is in your path.

ls /usr/bin/startfluxbox
/usr/bin/startfluxbox

startfluxbox
xmodmap:  unable to open display ''
Error: Couldn't connect to XServer

In /etc/X11/xinit there is no xinitrc.fluxbox

startxfce4 in init 2 flash drives cannot be opened by user  Cry

Opening programs (abiword, gnumeric, shotwell, etc) from terminal one gets:
/home/user/.gtkrc-2.0:15: Unable to find include file: "~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

In xwmconfig there is no fluxbox!

Did some tweaking. From console startx will now either start fluxbox or xfce.
j.a.watson

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:04:15 am »

I have started installing Beta2 on the variety of laptop and netbook systems I own.  So far two done, one ok and one not.

Fujitsu Lifebook S6510 - Graphic installation successful.  Very nice installer, congratulations.

Samsung NF310 - This is a netbook, with a 1366x768 display.  When running the graphic installer, I had to choose 1024x768 to get everything to fit on the screen.  When it got to user account setup, the first screen where I should put in the root account password did not fit in the window, the password entry areas were off the screen, there was no scroll bar and I could not get the arrow or page key to work, so I could not enter the root password.  I finally gave up, aborted that installation, and I am now running the text installer on this system.  That looks like it is going to work, of course.

Overall, congratulations the new release is looking good despite this minor glitch.  I know all too well from experience that netbooks with strange/small displays can be a pain.  If you are interested here, I can provide results for various other such systems, some of which have a rather unusual collection of screens, touchpads and network interfaces.

jw
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:47:49 am »

Sorry to ask "retro" questions, but I can't download and install anywhere near fast enough to keep up and I have read nothing here regarding the following issue: Has the NTFS external drive mounting via udisk been fixed? I am currently on Beta1 and it still mounts read-only, not using ntfs-3g. I have read a lot about udisk, policy-kit, console-kit, etc, etc, and have still not found a published fix. I rolled my own xfce-4.8, udisk, upower and stuff back in the first alphas, which didn't have those yet, and had the same problem.

Another thing, has sleep and hibernation been worked on? I notice there is no tuxonice for 2.6.38 and the one for 2.6.37 is supposedly unfinished. I have found a lot regarding fixing this issue, but nothing has worked for me yet. I can sleep the notebook with "echo "mem" > /sys/power/state", though it sometimes seems to wake itself up without pressing the power switch (this never happened with VL6 SOHO on the same notebook).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:26:22 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »

I burned a new CD, this time with K3B in VL 6 SOHO Deluxe. This time the installation on the Sempron went fine. I think the last CD medium was defective or the burn was bad.

I'm getting 1280x1024 and didn't have to do any tweaking. Everything I've tried so far has worked. I'm having a bit of a display problem for some text on programs running under Wine. The text sometimes bounces a bit and may disappear for a few seconds. I haven't tried any tweaking yet.

The video driver in xorg.conf is this:
Driver      "modesetting"

The onboard video is NVidia GeForce 6150SE.

I'm happy that Tuxcards is included. That's a "must have" program for me. I'd love to have K3B included, as it's my favorite CD burning program for any operating system. In the past I've added K3B without adding all of KDE.

I also installed on my Athlon 64 X2 with Radeon Xpress 200 graphics. Oh dear. That didn't go so well. X won't start if I use the radeon or ati driver. I have to use the vesa driver to get X running and the maximum resolution I can get is 800x600. On a 1600x1200 screen, it looks awful.

The Athlon 64 X2 computer has had problems with VL7 before. I was unable to get X started on a late alpha of VL 7. VL6 SOHO Deluxe runs perfectly with the xorg radeon driver.

Beta 2 seems much improved over the last beta I installed (1.Cool.
--GrannyGeek

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:36 pm »

I also installed on my Athlon 64 X2 with Radeon Xpress 200 graphics. Oh dear. That didn't go so well. X won't start if I use the radeon or ati driver. I have to use the vesa driver to get X running and the maximum resolution I can get is 800x600. On a 1600x1200 screen, it looks awful.
Granny can you try that machine with no xorg.conf file see how it goes.............just name /etc/xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak or something. Let us know if anything changes.

Thanks,
Vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 02:06:23 pm »

I renamed xorg.conf and did startxfce4. Alas, it didn't work. No X. I did save the Xorg.0.log file and will post it later.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 02:52:39 pm »

I renamed xorg.conf and did startxfce4. Alas, it didn't work. No X. I did save the Xorg.0.log file and will post it later.
--GrannyGeek
can you try booting that same computer with "nomodeset" added to the kernel commandline?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: