VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 12:38:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7 Beta2 bugs and observations  (Read 36349 times)
jon

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:44 pm »

couple observations from quick tire-kick in vbox only:

version no. in installer README needs updating

rc.firewall
   IPT="/usr/sbin/iptables..."  ->  IPT="/sbin/iptables..."

ffox version -> 3.6.16 / 4.X

all in all, pretty much fun and nice work to all!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:36:48 pm »

Beta-2.0

/etc/rc.d/rc.S: line 237: /sys/power/tuxonice/do_resume: No such file or directory

exaile not playing audio CD.
No URI handler implemented for "cdda".

gnome-player open with Audio-Disk-File-Manager will not play.
Error Failed to open cdda://sr0/Track%208.wav.

opening gnome-player from Menu will play, however, does not react properly 
to controls.

Clicking on CD icon Eject Volume: Failed to eject "Audio Disc" Not Authorized

firefox reports on terminal:
(firefox:3952): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function. 
User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:50:59 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:28 pm »

can you try booting that same computer with "nomodeset" added to the kernel commandline?

If I did it right, I got the worst results ever. I boot from the installation CD and used this line:
linux root=/dev/sdb11 ro nomodeset

When that proved to be a disaster, I tried
linux root=/dev/sdb11 ro -nomodeset

The results were the same as the previous try.

I was going to copy the error message but I've decided to try a completely new installation just in case there was some glitch the first time. If I continue to have the same problem, I'll report the error messages.

I downloaded the proprietary ATI driver from amd.com but it won't install; it doesn't like the version of X.

I'll continue to pursue this if the fresh installation doesn't help. Meanwhile, it works only with the vesa driver and at 800x600.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

I downloaded and installed the proprietary NVidia driver on the Sempron with GeForce 6150SE.  So far things are much better. I was already getting 1280x1024 with an xorg open source driver but mouse scrolling was jerky, some edits were slow, and glxgears scores were wretched.

All fixed with the NVidia driver and glxgears scores are the fastest I've ever had.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 01:35:20 pm »

I did more installing and configuring on the Sempron computer. I cannot get j-pilot to hotsync with my Sony Clie. I'm researching the error message with Google but so far, no joy. I didn't have problems getting it to work on VL7b1.8, but on beta 2, I can't do it as root or user. Either way, I always get a "Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND" message. /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 exist and are set so any user can read, write, and execute.

I easily played an audio CD with Gnome MPlayer and Xine, but couldn't figure out how to play an audio CD with Exaile or MPlayer.

I wanted to install a Windows program using Wine (Family Origins--worked in earlier releases of VL), but I can't figure out how to access or run a data CD as user and you have to be user to install Wine programs.

As has been reported, automounting CDs, flash drives, etc. as user is not working in XFce. In the case of the Family Origins CD, I couldn't mount it even as root because dmesg didn't report that a CD had been inserted and I didn't know what to call the /dev so I could mount it somewhere. It kept telling me it was a read-only file system. Automounting of drives hasn't been working since the alpha stage. I get a "Permission denied" any time I try to do it as user.

There seem to be major changes in udev. Maybe they have something to do with my inability to hotsync with my Clie and to automount removable drives.

That's all for now.
--GrannyGeek

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 05:39:16 pm »

There seem to be major changes in udev. Maybe they have something to do with my inability to hotsync with my Clie and to automount removable drives.
Granny as user either just do startx (not startxfce4) from tui boot method or use the gdm login manager this invokes some special consolekit directives needed so a user has correct permissions to automount and such. The hotsync problem not sure about but will research too.

Cheers,
Vec
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »

Granny as user either just do startx (not startxfce4) from tui boot method or use the gdm login manager this invokes some special consolekit directives needed so a user has correct permissions to automount and such. The hotsync problem not sure about but will research too.

Cheers,
Vec

I have reported this problem several Alpha versions back that a user cannot
mount flash drives, camera, etc. when in runlevel 2. Startx will not do it.
Now GrannyGeek apparently dislikes just as myself gdm or other display managers.
So a better solution has to be found for those using xfce4 and like to work in runlevel 2.

Since I use fluxbox with xfce4-panel it is not a problem. I have the Mount Devices applet
tweaked that I can easily mount/umount any device with one click. Cheesy
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 04:23:58 pm »

Thanks. startx worked for me and the removables drives and a CD were automounted for me as user. I don't know why it doesn't work for Pita. I did make XFce my default desktop environment with VASM.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »

I have reported this problem several Alpha versions back that a user cannot
mount flash drives, camera, etc. when in runlevel 2. Startx will not do it.
Now GrannyGeek apparently dislikes just as myself gdm or other display managers.
So a better solution has to be found for those using xfce4 and like to work in runlevel 2.

startx in runlevel 2 does work for me now. Yes, I prefer runlevel 2. The reason is that if I want to be out of X and at a console I can do it simply by exiting XFce. I don't like having to run init 2 or opening another console just to get to an X-free command line.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 07:16:27 pm »

Beta-2.0

Made a new install. Used vasm to put window manager which seems anyhow
set for xfce4 only. Yes, now in runlevel 2 "startx" to start xfce4 user can mount
flash drive. With command startxfce4 user cannot mount flash drives. This
command is shown to be used on opening login.

Opening login screen says "fluxbox: startfluxbox, startfluxbox-desk."
Neither one works.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 09:11:49 am »

I'm seriously trying to get beta 2 working on my Athlon 64 desktop. I did a fresh installation and accepted all defaults (full installation, no Xorg.conf, runlevel 4). Same problem as before, no X.

These are the last two messages before it quits:
gdm-binary[2381]: no suitable security token driver could be found
gdm-binary[2831]: WARNING: Failed to start X server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0

At that point, I have to reboot in order to get a prompt. The keyboard is still responsive and I can get into another console (with Control-Alt-F2, for example).

Do you want to see the end of my xorg log file?  It's a hassle to get it from that computer to this one, but I can do it.

The display works fine in VL6 SOHO Deluxe using the Radeon driver (Radeon Xpress 200 onboard graphics). I can't settle for 800x600 using the vesa driver. It's too awful on a 1600x1200 monitor.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 11:21:52 am »

I'm writing this with Firefox in the Athlon 64 box. Alas, with the dreaded 800x600 resolution.

I've set up my nfs network and can attach any log or configuration files that might help solve this problem. I looked through several log files (Xorg.0.log, syslog,  messages, debug) but I didn't see anything that could help me figure out what's wrong. But since my understanding of those messages is very poor, maybe somebody else could find some clue.
--GrannyGeek

jimtib

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 12:52:29 pm »

I finally got vl7 to work on one of my computers with ati graphics.It only works on my newest computer a quad athlon 2
I had pci xpress card installed and I had to use vesa but when I removed the card it recognized my onboard HD ati video.I still cant get it to work on my older comp amd64 with 200xpess onboard video.I installed zenwalk 7 and the video works fine on both my computers.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 01:13:41 pm »

I'm writing this with Firefox in the Athlon 64 box. Alas, with the dreaded 800x600 resolution.

I've set up my nfs network and can attach any log or configuration files that might help solve this problem. I looked through several log files (Xorg.0.log, syslog,  messages, debug) but I didn't see anything that could help me figure out what's wrong. But since my understanding of those messages is very poor, maybe somebody else could find some clue.
--GrannyGeek

Granny,
If you could PM me those files I would like to look at them.
In the meantime, could you try this kernel, and let me know if it changes anything?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/kernels/2.6.38.1-4vl70/kernel-2.6.38.1-i686-4vl70.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/kernels/2.6.38.1-4vl70/kernel-modules-2.6.38.1-i686-4vl70.txz

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »

I just downloaded beta2 and stupidly accepted the default bootloader (grub).  now when I try to run it, all I get is "grub>."  Do I have to go through a complete reinstall to get lilo back?  Or does someone know what I tell grub?

When loading VL 7 I attempted to load VL7 on / and thought I kept /home for my data. I also think / is on hda2, or so I attempted.

John
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:52:52 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: