VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 11:19:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7 Beta2 bugs and observations  (Read 36266 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 05:30:48 pm »

so I reinstalled and this time clicked on lilo rather than grub during installation. Got error message "open /boot/vmlinuz  no such file or directory."

Am trying "none" now.

john

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 07:49:03 pm »

I'm seriously trying to get beta 2 working on my Athlon 64 desktop. I did a fresh installation and accepted all defaults (full installation, no Xorg.conf, runlevel 4).
Same problem as before, no X.

On the new beta install I could not get into X. So I installed nvidia and X opened with flying colors on my old desktop.
Don't know it this is of any help.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 04:28:40 am »

so I reinstalled and this time clicked on lilo rather than grub during installation. Got error message "open /boot/vmlinuz  no such file or directory."

Am trying "none" now.

john
Can you not boot the OS with GRUB?
Switching from grub to LILO is easy, just run vliloconf in a terminal as root.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:48 am »

Am trying "none" now.

john
I am thinking you have a problem with your install.
vmlinuz is installed by the kernel pkg.
can you post the contests of your /boot dir on that partition?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »

If you could PM me those files I would like to look at them.
In the meantime, could you try this kernel, and let me know if it changes anything?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/kernels/2.6.38.1-4vl70/kernel-2.6.38.1-i686-4vl70.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/kernels/2.6.38.1-4vl70/kernel-modules-2.6.38.1-i686-4vl70.txz

Thanks. I'll do that as soon as I have time.

Meanwhile, a new wrinkle has developed. Now when I boot and attempt to startx, I got a horrible screen that looks like an old TV whose horizontal hold is not working. There are wide diagonal lines all over, no menu bar, nothing useful at all. Also, I can't get out of X, even with Alt-Control-Backspace. I have to open another console and reboot. I've run vxconf several times and have tried using vesa through VASM and have tried hand editing /X11/xorg.conf to replace the driver with vesa. No luck.

I'll see what happens with the new kernel and report on that. No point in sending the logs at this time.

The console is okay, just the GUI is messed up.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:04 pm »

Granny, everyone with ATI graphics chipsets and anyone else with graphics woes,
We have a new ISO up with different video drivers that we would like you to test here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-STD-BETA-2.1.iso

let us know how it goes,

Uelsk8s
jimtib

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 04:31:53 pm »

I installed Beta 2.1 and ati card finally works! I used first option autoinstall and it worked great.I have tried every alpha and beta release. Using pcixpress card also with onboard radeon 200. I will pull card to test onboard graphics.
jimtib

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 04:41:08 pm »

I pulled out pcix card and rebooted with onboard atix200 and it worked great.Wireless also works great!Excellent job fixing problem.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:10 pm »

I pulled out pcix card and rebooted with onboard atix200 and it worked great.

Very interesting! I'll download B2.1 and see if I have similar results with my Radeon Xpress 200. Fingers crossed.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 07:30:00 pm »

We have a new ISO up with different video drivers that we would like you to test here:

let us know how it goes,

Uelsk8s

Any goodies on there for intel i915 users? Smiley
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 07:37:46 pm »

let us know how it goes,

Uelsk8s

Any goodies on there for intel i915 users? Smiley
Yes, there are some.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »

uelsk8s
I am thinking you have a problem with your install. vmlinuz is installed by the kernel pkg.
can you post the contests of your /boot dir on that partition?

Sorry, I can't get to the point where I can do anything.  I am reloading VL6 on it now.  When time permits, I will try 7 again.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »

Beta 2.1 did get my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 video working. Thank you, thank you!

All is not well, however. I'm getting odd behavior from my mouse. It's a USB with two buttons and a scroll wheel. If I click on something, the click usually doesn't register and I have to hit Enter to activate whatever I clicked on. Yet it does drag and drop to move things like desktop icons around. If I click on something that has a flyout menu, I have to use the keyboard to go down to whatever I want and then hit Enter. So it works partially but not completely.

I ran the Mouse section of VASM and made the proper selections. So I'm almost there but not quite. Anything else I can try?
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:34 pm »

Beta 2.1 did get my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 video working. Thank you, thank you!

All is not well, however. I'm getting odd behavior from my mouse. It's a USB with two buttons and a scroll wheel. If I click on something, the click usually doesn't register and I have to hit Enter to activate whatever I clicked on. Yet it does drag and drop to move things like desktop icons around. If I click on something that has a flyout menu, I have to use the keyboard to go down to whatever I want and then hit Enter. So it works partially but not completely.

I ran the Mouse section of VASM and made the proper selections. So I'm almost there but not quite. Anything else I can try?
--GrannyGeek
did you try running without an xorg.conf file?
can you post back the lsusb output?

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 03:02:32 pm »

The mouse problem somehow fixed itself. I didn't really do anything, it just started working right.

Maybe it was good gremlins? I usually encounter the bad kind.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: