VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 08:28:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Few quick Questions?  (Read 8140 times)
dragonscorn

« on: March 25, 2011, 04:11:23 am »

Having used mainly Ubuntu for the last 2 years, I recently downloaded Vector 7.0 Beta 1.
I was very impressed by the polish and ease of the Distro.

Just noticed though that Vector 6 was 2 years ago. If I used Vector 7 as my main Op System would the software get updated as I went along, or would I have to wait for Vector 8?

Also my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD2400, how easy are the proprietary drivers to install? and is there instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Finally, I've noticed beta 2 is now out but my beta 1 doesn't seem to have updated, would I need to do a fresh install of Beta 2 and then the final release? or will this take care of itself?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:22:31 am »

VectorLinux does not provide distro upgrade as ubuntu do. The only way to upgrade to a new version of VL is through a fresh installation.

We do provide software update through slapt-get or gslapt but due to lack of man power it may not be as fast or efficient as other BIG distro. We will try our best to make all software as update as possible. If you want some new or updated software you can post it in the forum, packagers will try their best to make it available...

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »

Also my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD2400, how easy are the proprietary drivers to install? and is there instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Not so sure on the proceedure for Raedon (bit of a nVidia man myself) but I'm fairly certain that a requirement for either set of proprietary drivers are that you have the kernel source code installed as well (it should be one of the packages available initially)

From the nVidia side of it, provided the source is installed, the driver installation is fairly straight forward (and automated if I recall) so I would suspect the same to be true of ATI.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »

Go to amd.com and look at the drivers page. There is a sort of form you go through to select your card and your operating system and get a link to the proper driver. There are installation instructions. It should be easy (the drivers are binary files) but if your card is not current, ATI has no support for older cards.

Once VL7 goes final, it will be quite a while before there is a VL8. After VL7 Standard comes out, there will be VL7 Light and VL7 SOHO. Both of these will go through a testing cycle (alpha, beta, release candidates). So if you go with VL7 Standard, you can count on a year anyway before you'll need a new version. During that year, GSlapt will have updates for programs, new packages, security fixes, etc., that will keep your installed VL7 up to date.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
dragonscorn

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:56 am »

Thanks for all your replies, when VL7 goes final, its certainly going to get a place on my machine. Smiley
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06:27 pm »

Does anyone know when vl7 is going final?

Steven
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:42:43 am »

Does anyone know when vl7 is going final?

I'm sure we'd all like to know that.  Smiley

I'm not an insider and have no knowledge beyond what everyone else knows. In previous versions, a new VectorLinux goes final "when it's ready." I believe beta 2.1 is the current version being tested. We can expect a release candidate before Final or even another beta if there are additions or bug fixes that need more testing.

This is the download link for VL7 b2.1:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-STD-BETA-2.1.iso
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 05:04:36 pm »

There is a RC version if u all want to try it

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/vec7/VL7.0-STD-RC-0.3.iso
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »

There is a RC version if u all want to try it

Just keep in mind that it is not a release version. Do not complain or post bug reports about it. Wink
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:46:21 pm »

I have the source build scripts and binarys for catalyst for VL7. Look under the "X-rated" forum on here. I believe catalyst drivers will be included in VL7-final release, if not before then.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: