VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 04:58:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to install packages manually?  (Read 4966 times)
ngahbesola

« on: April 01, 2011, 12:15:48 am »

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to install packages manually? cuz I can't get my internet connection working with VL 6. With ubuntu I've done it "manually" with the keryx software here http://keryxproject.org/. It is an offline package management but just for debian and derivatives distro. Is there an analogue program with VL 6?

Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:59:10 pm by ngahbesola » Logged

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:38 am »

u can manual download the *.tlz file from below link but you need to download the dependencies files as well

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/
furydragon

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:51 am »

Yes, You can do it.

First download required packages on your disk (it can be .tgz or .tlz or .rpm archive).
Run console and midnight commander in it as root.
Find your package.
Press F2 and choose install.

It's simplest way.

Other way is installing packages in console with slapt-get tools. Probe
Code:
slapt-get --help
for help.
During install put full path for packages you want install.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:42:03 pm »

The command for manually installing packages is
installpkg
which you run as root at a command prompt in the directory where the packages reside.

You can install several at once by doing this:
installpkg *.tgz
or whatever the extension is.

You do, of course, have to download the packages in order to have them available to install. You could do this on someone else's computer and copy them to a flash drive to move them to your computer.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:07:55 pm »

If you use slapt-get or gslapt to download the packages, it will be in your /home/ftp folder...
ngahbesola

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:34 pm »

Hi everybody,

u can manual download the *.tlz file from below link but you need to download the dependencies files as well

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/

Thanks for all the replies. I found the list of packages here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/ and for instance if I want to install the R software, it gives me the following info :

PACKAGE NAME:  R-2.9.1-i586-1vl60.tlz
PACKAGE LOCATION:  ./base-apps
PACKAGE SIZE (compressed):  17025 K
PACKAGE SIZE (uncompressed):  66970 K
PACKAGE REQUIRED:  aaa_base >= 12.1.0-noarch-2 | glibc-solibs >= 2.7-i486-10,cairo >= 1.6.4-i586-1vl60,cxxlibs >= 6.0.9-i486-1 | gcc-g++ >= 4.2.3-i486-1,expat >= 2.0.1-i486-1,fontconfig >= 2.4.2-i486-2,freetype >= 2.3.8-i586-1vl60,gcc >= 4.2.3-i486-1,gcc-gfortran >= 4.2.3-i486-1,glib2 >= 2.16.3-i586-1gsb,libICE >= 1.0.4-i486-1,libSM >= 1.0.3-i486-1,libX11 >= 1.1.4-i486-1,libXau >= 1.0.3-i486-1,libXdmcp >= 1.0.2-i486-1,libXext >= 1.0.4-i486-1,libXmu >= 1.0.4-i486-1,libXrender >= 0.9.4-i486-1,libXt >= 1.0.5-i486-1,libjpeg >= 6b-i486-5,libpng >= 1.2.35-i586-1vl60,libtiff >= 3.8.2-i486-3,libxcb >= 1.0-i486-2,ncurses >= 5.6-i486-3,pango >= 1.20.0-i486-1,perl >= 5.10.0-i586-1vl60,pixman >= 0.10.0-i486-4,readline >= 5.2-i486-3,tcl >= 8.4.18-i486-1,tk >= 8.4.18-i486-1,zlib >= 1.2.3-i486-2
PACKAGE CONFLICTS: 
PACKAGE SUGGESTS: 
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
R: R (statistical computing and graphics)
R:
R: R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics
R: R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear
R: modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis,
R: classification, clustering, ...) and graphical techniques, and is
R: highly extensible.
R: License: GPL
R: Authors: R Project
R: Website: http://www.r-project.org/

I understand that the required packages that I should download with the R-2.9.1-i586-1vl60.tlz package is given by the field PACKAGE REQUIRED: but what does it really means?
For instance, what does this line : aaa_base >= 12.1.0-noarch-2 | glibc-solibs >= 2.7-i486-10,cairo >= 1.6.4-i586-1vl60,cxxlibs >= 6.0.9-i486-1 | really mean?

After downloading all these required packages manually, I know that I should download the dependencies of all these required packages too. How could I know that I can stop to download some packages? cuz normally some packages should already be on my system.

I know that it will be a hard work but till now it is the only way that I found to add some softwares to my fresh VL 6 install. Maybe is it possible to write a script to automate it?

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:29 pm »

aaa_base >= 12.1.0-noarch-2

mean u need same or higher version of package install on your system.

You can use pkgtool or slapt-get --search xxx to check your currently installed package

monfen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:32 am »

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to install packages manually? cuz I can't get my internet connection working with VL 6. With ubuntu I've done it "manually" with the keryx software here http://keryxproject.org/. It is an offline package management but just for debian and derivatives distro. Is there an analogue program with VL 6?

Thanks in advance,

Which version of VL 6 have you installed - Standard, Kde-Classic, Light or Soho?!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

Because you may already have the dependencies on your system, here's another way you can find out what you need.

Install just the R-2.9.1-i586-1vl60.tlz package using installpkg, as previously noted. After you install the package, run
ldconfig
as root from a command line. Then run R from a command line. If it starts up and runs fine, you're all set and do not need to install dependencies. If you get an error message complaining about a missing file, note the name of the missing file (usually something from /usr/lib) and see if you can download it from the repos just as you did the main package. Install the dependency and try again. When you stop getting complaints and the program starts and runs, you're done.

This can be tedious when you don't have an active Internet connection on your system. However, it sure beats downloading bunches of packages you may already have.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
ngahbesola

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance,

Which version of VL 6 have you installed - Standard, Kde-Classic, Light or Soho?!

I've installed the Standard version.

ngahbesola

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »

Because you may already have the dependencies on your system, here's another way you can find out what you need.

Install just the R-2.9.1-i586-1vl60.tlz package using installpkg, as previously noted. After you install the package, run
ldconfig
as root from a command line. Then run R from a command line. If it starts up and runs fine, you're all set and do not need to install dependencies. If you get an error message complaining about a missing file, note the name of the missing file (usually something from /usr/lib) and see if you can download it from the repos just as you did the main package. Install the dependency and try again. When you stop getting complaints and the program starts and runs, you're done.

This can be tedious when you don't have an active Internet connection on your system. However, it sure beats downloading bunches of packages you may already have.
--GrannyGeek

OK, I think it's a more convenient way.

ngahbesola

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 11:12:22 pm »

ldconfig

--GrannyGeek

I've got this error message after installing R-2.9.1-i586-1vl60.tlz package and running R from a command line :

/usr/lib/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but I don't see libgfortran package in the list of required package for R. With which may it come?

In the process below, I don't really understand the ldconfig part. When I run the ldconfig command it returns no output. Is this normal? What should this command do in this case?

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:15 am »

It seem R require gcc-gfortran which is not available in the VL repo. Will try to build it and move it to VL repo.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:30:40 am »

In the process below, I don't really understand the ldconfig part. When I run the ldconfig command it returns no output. Is this normal? What should this command do in this case?

You must run ldconfig as root. You won't get output. ldconfig updates the systems' knowledge of libraries and library links. I don't really understand it, but if you add new libraries the system needs to know about it and that's what ldconfig does. It's probably unnecessary to run it most of the time when you install something, but it doesn't do any harm and doesn't take a lot of time on anything but an extremely slow computer. Using slapt-get or gslapt takes care of this automatically.

You might want to look at
man ldconfig

I see there is a Verbose mode, which prrints current version number, the name of each directory as it is scanned, and any links that are created. I've never used it. If you want Verbose mode, you do the command this way:
ldconfig -V

I hope you manage to get R installed.
--GrannyGeek

pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:16 am »

It seem R require gcc-gfortran which is not available in the VL repo. Will try to build it and move it to VL repo.

gcc-fortran is also needed by R in VL7. It is also missing in VL7 repos.

EDIT:

After closer inspection, R only needs "libgfortran", NOT the actual fortran compiler. It seems "libgfortran" should be part of the gxx-libs or gcc-libs package
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:54:55 am by pierce.jason » Logged

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: