VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:05:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-7.0-STD RC 2 READY FOR TESTING  (Read 6318 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:09:48 am »

Question has vl64bit ever been up on distrowatch's side panel?

Agreed as many people are looking for a 64-bit distro and VL is not known for that yet.

It would be nice to have the kernel headers match so that compiling packages that require the match would work without the extra steps of downloading and installing the headers.

I've not been disappointed with VLocity thus far.
The kernel-headers are not supposed to match.
We don't have enough room to include the kernel source package, or we would.

Uelsk8s
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:09 pm »

Thanks for letting me know about the headers.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 07:12:20 pm »

Bonjour!
Happy easters!

Is it possible to upgrade to rc2 from rc1 by adding rlevent directory of  "http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-current" to repo mirror list in GSLAPT? then gslapt, upgrading relevent pkgs, then system upgarded toi rc2?
is it possible?
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »

no that is for future release i.e 7.2 do not use that with present rc's

Thanks,
Vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:40 pm »

found a bug in 64bit rc2..............we need tcp-wrappers installed not there at this point also a new iptables package the one installed not working with firewall

cheers,
Vec
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »

Vec, please report your bugs at https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl70/overview
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 11:56:54 am »

Sorry all for my earlier posts re RC 2 in another section.

How do i start the default X session on vl64 rc2? When i try i get a message that the system has no Xclients file installed and it falls back to twm. The fluxbox session works fine tho.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 08:34:17 am »

Installed VLcity RC2 last week, so far pretty nice, though now I have to slowly mirror the 64 bit repo, since I had only the 32 bit one. Only had a minor glitch after installing, during first run setup where it seemed to be doing/saying nothing until I hit Enter and then it continued (seemingly) normally.

I guess this not supposed to have 32 bit app compatibility, since when trying to run the seamonkey binary from the SeaMonkey Project (or a couple of other apps I tried after that), it says it can't find the very file it is trying to run. Or is this some other issue?

PS: I can't get vlc-2.0.1 built on this using the alien restricted slackbuild setup. Anybody had any luck with vlc-2.0.1?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:09 am »

I guess this not supposed to have 32 bit app compatibility, since when trying to run the seamonkey binary from the SeaMonkey Project (or a couple of other apps I tried after that), it says it can't find the very file it is trying to run. Or is this some other issue?

you can run 32bit apps, but the 32bit libs required to run them are not present. You will need to install all of the 32bit core libs and whatever else the 32bit app you are trying to run needs. You can use the pkgs from the 32bit repo.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 08:49:29 am »

Figured that was the way to go, but thought I'd check first, since this is my first 64 bit experience... Grin

EDIT: Ok, so this would create a BIG maintenance problem, since one can't use slapt-get or gslapt to do it, or it would replace the 64 bit libs, as they have the same package basename... right?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:07:55 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 03:29:59 am »

Old mobo died, finally got a new one. Sprung for an Ivy Bridge system, because the new integrated video has been getting good reviews.

Running RC2.11 and Linux 3.4.4, system is fast and stable so far. Main shortcoming is that Ivy Bridge needs Mesa 8+ for proper 3D acceleration. Any chance that may be coming our way?
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 04:00:01 am »

Ok, so this would create a BIG maintenance problem, since one can't use slapt-get or gslapt to do it, or it would replace the 64 bit libs, as they have the same package basename... right?

Any thoughts on this? Is this what would happen, or am I way off base here? I really haven't had a chance to check what other distros do.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 06:22:16 am »

Ok, so this would create a BIG maintenance problem, since one can't use slapt-get or gslapt to do it, or it would replace the 64 bit libs, as they have the same package basename... right?

Any thoughts on this? Is this what would happen, or am I way off base here? I really haven't had a chance to check what other distros do.
I think you are right.
If there is a reason you need to run multilib you would have to be careful not to upgradepkg your base lib pkgs.
you would be forced to do it all manually.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: