VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 07:29:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL and Enlightenment  (Read 7078 times)
warpman

« on: April 10, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »

Hi guys. I used to use VL a while back and now I'm planning to come back to it. I have a couple of questions:

1. Which version of VL should I download?

2. I would like to install Enlightenment only and not KDE or GNOME. Or maybe install KDE for a while until I get everything working under Enlightenment. Are there any packages available to do this or do I have to install everything from the Enlightenment website?

I am currently running Slackware and Ubuntu.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
warpman

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »

OK... so I went ahead and loaded and install VL 6.0 light and install it on a virtual machine running VirtualBox. The only issue I had at the beginning was with the mouse but after I install the VirtualBox additions everything is working just fine. At this moment so far so good.
Next step? Download and install Enlightenment. I will keep you guys posted.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

Yep, please post back and report on how you get on. I don't know if other people have already done what you are doing, but the lack of replies suggests it's not common.
Andy
monfen

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:30:50 am »

http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/testing/ap/ - There are the testing packages of Enlightenment for VL 7.0 if you need them.
I think Enlightenment will get more and more popularity in the following years - it has great and unique features while using very low resources.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:44:15 am by monfen » Logged
warpman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:52:24 pm »

OK... so I went ahead and downloaded the enlightenment files from GARR's Networks but I couldn't install the .txz files. I don't know how to install those files. So, now I'm going to try to install the files from SlacksBuilds.org. I will post my results later on.
monfen

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

OK... so I went ahead and downloaded the enlightenment files from GARR's Networks but I couldn't install the .txz files. I don't know how to install those files. So, now I'm going to try to install the files from SlacksBuilds.org. I will post my results later on.

Try to download all the required .txz packages for Enlightenment in some folder, then start the console from that location and write in it installpkg *.txz - this should work for you.
Or add this source http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/testing/ to the gslapt package manager, activate it, refresh the information from the sources and make query for enlightenment in the search box.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:42:14 am by monfen » Logged
warpman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:19:18 am »

Try to download all the required .txz packages for Enlightenment in some folder, then start the console from that location and write in it installpkg *.txz - this should work for you.
Or add this source http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.0/testing/ to the gslapt package manager, activate it, refresh the information from the sources and make query for enlightenment in the search box.

No go... I get the following message: Cannot install packagename because the file does not end in .tgz, .tlz, .tbz or .tar.
I have try the command that you mention before and it gave me the same message. I will keep on trying. Thanks for you help.

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:40:33 pm »

I went ahead and loaded and install VL 6.0 light

There are the testing packages of Enlightenment for VL 7.0

I don't know for sure but I am betting packages made for VL 7.0 will not work on VL 6.0 light.

warpman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:39:14 pm »

I went ahead and loaded and install VL 6.0 light

There are the testing packages of Enlightenment for VL 7.0

I don't know for sure but I am betting packages made for VL 7.0 will not work on VL 6.0 light.

I think you're right. The question is how or where do I download VL 7 light? or do I have to download the standard version? I don't see VL 7 under the download area.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 12:05:54 am »

VL7 is still in beta/rc stage.
warpman

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »

VL7 is still in beta/rc stage.
That is what I thought. Thanks for the info. I guess I have to keep working on the slackbuilds.org packages. Thanks for the info.

I have another question, how do I determine if my computer already have the requirement? Is there like a command to identify the packages? I guess I can always use gslapt to see which packages are installed.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:40:14 pm »

I have another question, how do I determine if my computer already have the requirement? Is there like a command to identify the packages? I guess I can always use gslapt to see which packages are installed.

I often look in /var/log/packages. There is a lot of information in those files, not just what is installed, but where things went.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
warpman

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:32:15 pm »

I often look in /var/log/packages. There is a lot of information in those files, not just what is installed, but where things went.
--GrannyGeek

Good idea GrannyGeek. Thanks.
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:28:43 am »

There are new E17 packages going into the 7.0 Testing repositories.

The primary problem you had with installing them before, is that you need newer package management software inorder to handle the new txz file extension. To add support for TXZ to 6.0, checkout this thread http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12771.msg79489#msg79489. You won't have to do the whole list of steps since you don't want newer kernel, these are the ones of most interest to you:
# slapt-get --install xz
# xz -cd pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.5-i586-1vl60.txz | lzma > pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.5-i586-1vl60.tlz
# installpkg pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.5-i586-1vl60.tlz

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:17 am »

Don't know if this helps, but I installed Enlightenment using the SlackE17 package. It's only one package to think about;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/slacke17/files/slacke17/r59882/

It's for Slackware 13; there used to be a Slackware 12 package (which would work in Vector 6) but I don't know where it is.

CP.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:05:39 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: