VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 06:20:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector 7.0 when and what?  (Read 3151 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: April 20, 2011, 04:59:15 am »

Is there any news of vector 7.0 and what changes will it include? When is the expected release time?

Steven
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »

Soon™

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »

Soon™

Are you kidding? Wink
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:47 pm »

Vector Linux 7.0 "Duke Nukem" Standard will be released October 21st.

Here's the announcement.

Wink

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:58:21 pm »

vector7 rc2 will be within days please everyone test it will not hurt your computer or make your your children green but it will speed up the release process. The faster we get the bugs reported and solved the faster we can release. I could have released this months ago with lots of bugs as the other distros do but not my style. Hope you all appreciate that. Vector 6 was such a good release that I don't want to disappoint anyone with with a sub par vec7 release so hang in there. We are working on some aspect of it on a daily basis. Thanks for your support and patience!!!

Cheers,
Vec
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:50 am »

Vec,

You know I was joking, right?  I know I have a weird sense of humor, so if it looked like a jab or an attack, it wasn't.

By the way ... I have RC1 installed (another machine), and it works great.  The only bugs I've discovered are known bugs in certain applications (and just a few of those).  No install problems, no troubles with any of the tools, etc. and so on.

That being said, I am eagerly awaiting the final of 7.0 ... I think it's going to be fantastic.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:15:47 am »

I'm very eager for the final version of VL7 Standard, not only because I've been using VL7 throughout the testing as my main OS, but also because I want to put it on the old computer I retired in March so I can get rid of it.

It's my old 1.3 GHz Celeron Tualatin, 1 gig of RAM, Radeon 9200 video card with 128 megs, two 80-gig 7200 rpm hard drives, and a fairly new DVD DL burner. The main reason I retired it was that it did a terrible job with streaming video and I do like to watch TV shows and DVDs on a computer. I may see if I can get $30 or $40 US for it, or I may give it away. I hate to ask money for it because those drives must be 8 years old and while they pass surface tests without errors, one of these days one or both will give up the ghost.

It would probably be more appealing to the public if it had Windows on it, but I don't have a legal copy of XP I could install on it. It works better with Linux anyway. I'm hoping that with VL7 and Firefox, Picasa, Thunderbird, Libre Office, and our great Linux media players, whoever gets it will realize they have it all and can do fine without Windows.

So until VL7 Standard goes Gold, the computer is sitting in our hall. It's just the carcass--no monitor or keyboard taking up space.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:58:40 am »

I'm very eager for the final version of VL7 Standard, not only because I've been using VL7 throughout the testing as my main OS, but also because I want to put it on the old computer I retired in March so I can get rid of it.

It's my old 1.3 GHz Celeron Tualatin, 1 gig of RAM, Radeon 9200 video card with 128 megs, two 80-gig 7200 rpm hard drives, and a fairly new DVD DL burner. The main reason I retired it was that it did a terrible job with streaming video and I do like to watch TV shows and DVDs on a computer. I may see if I can get $30 or $40 US for it, or I may give it away. I hate to ask money for it because those drives must be 8 years old and while they pass surface tests without errors, one of these days one or both will give up the ghost.

It would probably be more appealing to the public if it had Windows on it, but I don't have a legal copy of XP I could install on it. It works better with Linux anyway. I'm hoping that with VL7 and Firefox, Picasa, Thunderbird, Libre Office, and our great Linux media players, whoever gets it will realize they have it all and can do fine without Windows.

So until VL7 Standard goes Gold, the computer is sitting in our hall. It's just the carcass--no monitor or keyboard taking up space.
--GrannyGeek
...gee, granny,....if I was close around there,...I'd snatch that ol' computer up in a heartbeat!  I have several of the older PCs,...and they work just fine with linux (well,...with such distros as VL and such).
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »

VL need more voluntary packager/developer/tester. With more peoples involve then can speed up the VL7 release date.   Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: