VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 08:09:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving / to a new partition  (Read 760 times)
fogpipe
Vectorite

« on: April 30, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »

I have a 30 gig partition thats doing mostly nothing so im thinking about moving / to it.

This is my plan:

mount the destination partition on /mnt/x, cp -ax / /mnt/x, edit lilo.conf and the fstab on /mnt/x/etc to reflect the changes, leaving the original / as backup, pray, reboot.

Any advice or cautions appreciated. Thanks Smiley
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »

probably a better idea to do it by dir so you dont end up in a loop copying /mnt/x to itself

Code:
cp -ax /boot/ /etc/ /lib/ /sbin/ /usr/ /bin/ /home/ /opt/ /root/ /srv/ /tmp/ /var/ /mnt/x/

then you can make the other dirs

Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/x/dev /mnt/x/mnt /mnt/x/proc /mnt/x/sys
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »

probably a better idea to do it by dir so you dont end up in a loop copying /mnt/x to itself

Code:
cp -ax /boot/ /etc/ /lib/ /sbin/ /usr/ /bin/ /home/ /opt/ /root/ /srv/ /tmp/ /var/ /mnt/x/

then you can make the other dirs

Code:
mkdir -p /mnt/x/dev /mnt/x/mnt /mnt/x/proc /mnt/x/sys

Good point  ! i proabably would have thot about that about the same time i ran out of disk space Grin

Thank you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: