VectorLinux
April 25, 2014, 12:25:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 20110504 goldendict-1.0.1 [VL7.0]  (Read 3176 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:08 am »

stretchedthin has built a new Goldendict package for VectorLinux 7.0.

Code:
goldendict: Feature-rich dictionary lookup program
goldendict:
goldendict:
goldendict:
goldendict:
goldendict:
goldendict:
goldendict: License: GPL3
goldendict: Authors:
goldendict: Website: http://goldendict.berlios.de/

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:14:56 am »

I installed it but it doesn't seem to be running for some reason.  I'm using VL7.0 standard (with XFCE).  The version I installed is 1.0.1-i586-2vl70.  Here is what I get when I try to run it:
Code:
vector:/~
mark:$ goldendict
goldendict: error while loading shared libraries: libhunspell-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
vector:/~
mark:$

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »

I installed it from VL repositories and it runs fine but I have no idea what to do with it....apparently I have to buy an English dictionary for it to work as a normal dictionary.  However, it does give me wikipedia.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:42 am »

That's odd that it runs fine on your machine but not mine.  I do have hunspell installed as well, version 1.3.2-i586-1vl70. 

Is there a way to get Gslapt to list dependencies of packages?  There seems tab for this in the package listing, but it's empty.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:46:58 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »

I downgraded hunspell to version 1.2.14-i586-1vl70, and now goldendict works.  sledgehammer, could you let me know which version of hunspell you have installed?

I then did a basic upgrade to the entire system, and both hunspell and emelfm2 were upgraded.  So, now goldendict is broken again.  emelfm2 works fine still, however.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:19:42 pm »

Version 1.0.1-i586-2vl70

from the repositories

Applications Menu>System>Gslapt Package Manager.  I have testing repository enabled.  To do this, go to Edit on the Gslapt pull down menu, then to Sources, then enable testing repository.

John

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:15:45 am »

Currently I have the following installed on a regular VL7.0 (IE, without testing):
goldendict 1.0.1-i586-2vl70
hunspell 1.3.2-i586-1vl70

goldendict does not work.  However, it did work when I had the hunspell downgraded to 1.2.14-i586-1vl70. 

From your post sledgehammer, you state that you have version 1.0.1-i586-2vl70 installed, which I'm assuming is the regular version of goldendict, since it corresponds to my version (and it corresponds to the version which stretchedthin first posted about).  Since your version of goldendict works and mine doesn't, I wonder which version of hunspell you have installed on your machine.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:00 pm »

1.2.14-i586-1vl70

I don't know what hunspell does and don't know if I use it.  I would like very much a good dictionary on my hard drive that would work with goldendict.  Any ideas?

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

From a search I found this site, though I didn't really have any luck with it.  I struggled for quite some time with gcide, and finally got it working.  Gcide is a very extensive 1913 Webster dictionary, which I quite like (it also comes with some modern stuff from WordNet).  I tried for hours the other day to get goldendict to recognize the file and failed.  Today, I tried once again, and it worked.  It's a mystery to me why it decided to work today, however.  But, I now can confirm that the program can read dictionary files.  It has worked with the Internet sites it has listed as well (as long as they're activated via Edit/Dictionaries/Websites), though I prefer to just use the gcide file.

Is there a place to report Vector package bugs?  Or is this forum the place?  I ask because I feel that it's a bit of a bug that goldendict only works with a downgraded version of hunspell rather than the current version that comes with VL7.0.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:56:19 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:09:52 pm »

I believe you will find a VL7 bug thread in Distro Development, under "cooking up the treats" in the vector forum

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44:36 pm »

Reporting the bug here will do just fine.
I've been reading the thread. Will look into it.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:00 am »

I struggled for quite some time with gcide, and finally got it working.

I downloaded gcide, opened it, and pointed goldendict to the proper place on my harddrive, but it doesn't recognize the files. 

I would not mind purchasing a dictionary to use with goldendict but I will have to wait til I have more time as it does not seem to me that the readily purchasable ones would run on linux. 

But I agree with you on gcide.....that if I could get it working, I would only want it as the selected dictionary.

John

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 08:18:42 pm »

I did some testing, and discovered that the gcide link I gave doesn't work.  So, sorry about that.  However, the following link does work, and is the one I'm using.  So, download the following source package:  dict-gcide_0.48.1.tar.gz, then unpack it and have goldendict point to that.  It should work.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:08:59 pm by MarkGrieveson » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:56:07 pm »

Perhaps. But I'm pretty old. It is likely to remain a mystery to me a bit too long.  Have you heard of any dictionary I could purchase that would run on goldendict?

John

MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 12:15:48 am »

I'm not sure where you could purchase a dictionary for it.  But basically you just save it and install it (configure, make, make install).

Specifically, download the dict-gcide_0.48.1.tar.gz file, open and save it in your user's home file with the program Xarchiver, then with your terminal go into the created directory (which will be "dict-gcide-0.48.1") and run the following three commands:
Code:
vector:/~/slackpacks/gcide/dict-gcide-0.48.1
mark:$ ./configure

mark:$ make

mark:$ su         
Password: ******

root:# make install

The first two commands can be run as normal user, while the last command ("make install") is run as root.  Then, open goldendict, press F3 (or select Edit, Dictionaries), press Add, enter the location of where you saved the directory dict-gcide-0.48.1, check the Recursive box, press Rescan Now, then Okay.  At this point, it should work.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: