VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 01:29:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 RC1 is out and ready to test  (Read 15140 times)
digital_resistance

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 01:02:41 am »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What about md5 checksums?
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 09:34:31 pm »

What about md5 checksums?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-LIVE-BETA1.iso.md5sum.txt
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-RC1.iso.md5sum.txt

hope that helps

Vec
digital_resistance

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 03:19:52 pm »

The beta1 refers to the first beta of the rc1 official release in live format.

Okay, now I think I got it:
The Live version is only now beginning the beta stage that the regular version has already completed. (The release candidate (RC) stage comes after beta, before the edition hits the prime time with the first actual distribution release) 

Is that it? 

What confused me (and, it seems, at least one other person who posted above) is the way both the regular as well as live the editions were announced and released together, at the same time, which would seem to suggest both being at the same release stage.

I take it that we should expect the first beta of 7.0 light before long? 

Not sure whats needed to explain the login we simply left the password blank for easy login so we thought.

But how were people supposed to know when that info was neither displayed at the login screen nor posted here along with the announcement?

(And the user name for the limited account was also changed from "vl" to "vector")

I really can't see a reason why any live CD shouldn't display the user name and password at the login screen.

This information is already public and easily obtained by any attacker. So the only thing really accomplished by not displaying the live login credentials, it would seem, is to cause inconvenience and aggravation for the (legitimate) user.   

I believe anyone needing any degree of security while running a live CD should change the passwords with the passwd command as soon as they've logged-in.

That's how I see it, at least but I realize I could be overlooking something, so corrections or comments would be welcome.

Thank you for posting the links to the md5sums.

I actually did find them on my own after posting but it took me a while because the links in the OP were directly to the ISO images and not to the directories that list both the ISOs as well as the checksum files.

I have now downloaded and tried the 7.0 Live Beta-1 release and have posted issues I encountered in the designated thread for reporting bugs.

I was impressed with the Light edition of Vector Live 6.0; it is one of the only distros I have tried that will successfully run live on my now over ten-year old Dell Latitude C600 with 384 MB of RAM.

I hope to see a new and improved release soon.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:51:39 pm by digital_resistance » Logged
mrtobi

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 08:13:19 pm »

I have a question mr. Vector... does the future version of Vector will still support KDE 3.5.10?  Huh
mike99

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 08:32:26 am »

@Dig.Res.- i believe the "live" Versions are used as a test (although you could install from there) and so security (password & such) should not be in issue since you are not saving anything anywhere. Install the regular lite version & be secure. I'm glad to see your note about the Dell Latitude C600. I think i have a C500 with 384 that will make a good present for a cousin.
As for the person asking about the KDE3.5 - moving to a KDE4.0 will require a much newer machine plus 1 GB of ram to cure frustration. It may be pretty, but i think life is too fast & short for KDE4.0 . mike
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »

I'm begging we can get K3B in the next release of VL7 Standard. xfsburn is just not cutting it for me. It doesn't have a Copy DVD option, which is something I need fairly often.

I actually have to boot into my Windows XP on the Sempron computer when I need to copy a DVD so I can use Nero. I'd rather use K3B.

I don't want to chance mucking up my system by installing bits and pieces for VL6 SOHO's K3B.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:39 pm »

Andy Price has packaged k3b for Vectorlinux 7.0
I have not announced it yet as it as for some reason it is not pulling the musicbrainz3 dependency when installed. (No fault of Andy's I think it is the musicbrainz, and am working on a fix.)
Give it a try Grannygeek, just install musicbrainz 3.0.3 along with it and it should work fine.  Would be interested in hearing how it works for you

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 04:28:14 am »

The problem with adding k3b in the Standard iso is the size of all the kde4 dependencies.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 04:45:19 pm »

The problem with adding k3b in the Standard iso is the size of all the kde4 dependencies.

I don't care if K3B is not in the ISO. I just want to be able to install it. From the repo is okay.

I no  longer have any truly wimpy computers with tiny drives, so the size of KDE dependencies does not concern me. Is there an alternative with more capability than xfburn? I desperately need the ability to make a good copy of a DVD. These are  home-burned and DRM is not an issue. But I want a duplicate copy in case the first one gets damaged. I don't like having to boot to Windows in order to make a DVD copy.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 05:51:39 pm »

Andy Price has packaged k3b for Vectorlinux 7.0
I have not announced it yet as it as for some reason it is not pulling the musicbrainz3 dependency when installed. (No fault of Andy's I think it is the musicbrainz, and am working on a fix.)
Give it a try Grannygeek, just install musicbrainz 3.0.3 along with it and it should work fine.  Would be interested in hearing how it works for you

Is it in the repo? If so, I'll install it this weekend and will add musicbrainz.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 07:55:21 am »

I installed K3B and two libmusicbrainz files from the repo. When I try to start k3b from the command line, I get:
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libkcddb.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Also, when I first tried to install k3b, Gslapt said it was missing a dependency for oxygen-icons. I installed oxygen-icons with Gslapt and restarted Gslapt. I got the same message about missing oxygen-icons when I again selected k3b. I installed it anyway.

I need to copy four DVDs today, so I'll see if I can take care of the missing libkcddb.

Just incidentally, if I recall correctly, when I installed K3B in earlier VectorLinuxes I needed just kdebase, kdelibs, and k3b. The K3B for VL7 lists quite a few more dependencies (I guess), but no kdebase.
--GrannyGeek

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 10:06:31 pm »

Now that Microsoft has bought Skype, I am trying to load Linphone.  No luck with the Linphone 3.4.3 from slacky.eu.  Tried source from Linphone.org and get following make error:

msv4l.c:33:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [msv4l.lo] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2/src'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestions?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:34 am »

Now that Microsoft has bought Skype, I am trying to load Linphone.  No luck with the Linphone 3.4.3 from slacky.eu.  Tried source from Linphone.org and get following make error:

msv4l.c:33:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [msv4l.lo] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2/src'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3/mediastreamer2'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/johwhi/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestions?

make sure you have the kernel headers package installed. If you still get the error then we are misskng something in the kernel configuration I guess

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:35 am »

M0E-lnx

Thanks.  How do I make sure that all kernel headers are installed?

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: