VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:31:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 RC-1 bug reports  (Read 27807 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »

Please post bug reports, comments and suggestions for VL-7.0 RC-1 here. We're looking forward to your feedback and input.

Thanks
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:48 am »

The ISO boot process indicates that it can be used to boot an already installed system using the syntax "linux root=/dev/hdX# ro", but I thought that the newer kernels will only us sdX#. I just tested using the ISO boot process to boot an already installed system using the 'hdX#' syntax and it kernel paniced indicating it can only find 'sdX#' partitions.  If I'm correct then we should change on the "boot:" screen to indicate the proper syntax for booting an already installed system using the new device designations.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:53:38 am »

Text installer does not indicate amount of space needed for installation. It says:
The basic install needs   MB, while the complete install requires around   MB.

Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:33:01 am by newt » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:48:31 pm »

Flawless installation for RC1. I installed on my Sempron computer--will install on the Athlon 64 this weekend, I hope. I went with the "no Xorg" option and everything seems to be working. I have 1600x1200 resolution, as I should have. hardinfo indicates nouveau as OpenGL Vendor, Gallium 0.4 on NVA5 as Renderer, 2.1 Mesa 7.9.2 as Version, and Yes for Direct Rendering. I used the proprietary NVidia driver for beta 2.1, but will give this nouveau a go. I don't do games except for bubble games.

For the first time I was able to select 1600x1200 as screen resolution during installation. In all previous versions I couldn't install unless I used 1024x768.

I've installed a lot of extra stuff already mostly from the repos. Adobe Flash already has a new version, which I did install. It wouldn't work with Firefox and SeaMonkey until I deleted the ~/.mozilla directory I copied over from VL7b2.1. It did work with Opera, which is interesting because Opera can be a bit reluctant with new versions of Flash. The Opera license agreement text is not showing up.

Firefox and SeaMonkey refuse to run as root. I get this:
Code:
root:# seamonkey

(seamonkey-bin:6853): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)

I have to do Control-C to get to a prompt.

Code:
root:# firefox

(firefox:7443): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Aborted
It does go back to a prompt.

Code:
root:# opera
opera: Session management problem: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

Nevertheless, it starts.

That's all I've had time for. I'm very glad we're at the Release Candidate stage. It's looking very good.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »

Tried to install with vinstall-iso-ng, however, the system froze after initial
install start.
This happened 3 times. Will make no further attempts this way
since somehow it messed up the drive partition. Had to disconnect it.
Did now some cleaning and reformatting and drive runs OK again.
It could mean as well that the HD is defective. Just a coincidence may be.

Will see If I can burn a CD with HP2133.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:46:17 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »

Successfully burned a CD with HP-2133 Mini-Notebook. The installer does start in HP-2133,
 however, it is hard to read since it seems it does not fit the screen. It is too large and therefore
letters flow into each other or cannot be read at all as they disapper under next heading.
I gave option "gui vga=791" which seems to be ignored once the gui is up.

I just tried the installer on my desktop and there a window opens asking you
for the screen settings. In HP-2133 no such window opened.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:03:48 pm by Pita » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:27:25 pm »

After about a week of running 7.0 beta 2.1 on my new samsung Rf11 S03, general corruption seemed to seep in.  WICD would not work and windows operated weirdly, mainly by not allowing Alt-tab to change screens and by not showing the closing X or the minimize - at the upper right.  So tonight in installed RC-1 and WICD began working again but the windows still look weird and Alt-tab as well as the closing and minimizing box at the upper right don't work.  Changing the screen resolution does not help.  I suspect this was a problem with beta 2.1 which I have somehow imported into RC-1 (I did not reformat my home drive when installing).  But its a serious problem right now.  Sorry I can't think of more detail.  Just weird windows on some programs but not others.  Another example.  In firefox when I click on File at the upper left and try to drag the mouse down to Quit, the window with Quit at the bottom disappears and to close firefox I have to type Q while the window is open.  For another example, if, while typing this post, I load thunderbird, it loads fine but there is no way I know of to get back to this window without closing thunderbird.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vikram

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »

I have got the 7.0 RC1 ISO , Is it not possible to boot from USB Stick? I tried , but I got Kernel Panic..Can someone tell me what I have to append in Kernel line?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:28:35 pm »

I think I figured out my problem, or at least the great part of it.  I used skel in the vasm (non-super-user) menu, reset everything and now it looks pretty good.  The problems mentioned in my immediately prior post, at least, are solved.  Whew!

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:10 am »

Made  a CD installation onto the same disk partition which somehow got
messed up when trying to install with vinstall. Installation took at least one hour.

I choose fluxbox as my first desktop and it opened. Then I choose the systems
choice which I assumed would be xfce4, however, ended in a fail safe. Then
I found that xfce4 had not been installed. Huh

Tried awesome and it opened, yet the menu ist just xterm. Quite awesome I must say. Wink

Internet was connected and alsamixer working. Will try more tomorrow.
Joncho

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 07:34:09 am »

Hello,

Well, i've installed VL7.0 RC-1 in a Virtualbox, an old Toshiba Satellite laptop, and a P3 clone and had the same problem on all of them, the installation goes right, but when the machine reboots the user i created during installation exist but doesn't accept my password, and root user has a blank password although i'm sure that i stablished a password for it and cannot change this with vasm aparently it change the passwords for my users but it doesn't.

In the other hand, if i install it through the text installer i don't have any problem with my users' passwords, but text installer doesn't let me choose the software i want to install and installs lilo and doesn't give and option to use grub as loader, by the way i used to like better text installer cause i felt it gave more control over the installation process but now it doesn't give me many options about what i want to install on my box.

Until now everything else is working fine, and it looks beautiful.

Thanks for the hard and good work. Smiley
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:14 pm »

Joncho,
something you are not selecting is causing the problem with the password and user.
can you help us figure this out by listing what things you selected in the GUI installer?

The text installer is being rewritten now, unfortunately it isn't finished and we didn't want to hold back this release for it.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s1
Joncho

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:59:13 pm »

It will be my pleasure, i'll reinstall it probably tonight and feedback tomorrow
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:43:31 pm »

Today I installed RC1 on the Athlon 64 X2. The monitor is 1280x1024, but I got an "out of sync" message on the monitor before I could install and had to turn off the computer and reboot. I selected 1024x768 and the installation worked fine.

Upon the first reboot, I selected the no xorg option. This did give me 1280x1024.

No problems so far, but I haven't done much installing of additional programs.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 07:05:43 pm »

RC1:
I often get a kernel panic while trying to boot up(often as in more than 50% of the time). I didn't take a picture(don't have a camera), but it was saying something about a page fault and IRQ. Rebooting a couple times makes it go away, until the next boot that is.

Other than that it looks fantastic! Took me a little while to get the old look back on Firefox 4, which is, by the way, quite faster than 3.6.x, and do a lot of other small stuff, but I love it. Using it more than my main VL6 install.

Great job!

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: