VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 12:35:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 RC-1 bug reports  (Read 31189 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:31 am »

Obviously a lot of time and no doubt a bit of love has gone into this project.  I have used RC1 for several days now on my new Samsung RF511 with no problems, save one:

The frigging mouse does not work right.  And it does not respond, it seems, to the mouse settings in xfce.  I may just be spoiled by my old IBM T42, which has one of those little mouse guy buttons in the middle of the keyboard.  But it would be nice to be able t slow down the mouse-pad, so I am not always inputting text in the wrong place.  I can't seem to alter the mousepad's behavior in settings.  I unloaded gdm but that didn't help.  I suspect I need to just disable the clicking gadget on the sliding mousepad surface .  But the laptop is almost unusable as I never know where the cursor is, unless I look, and I don't like looking for the damn thing.  It should be where I last left it.  Perhaps I need to turn it back to costco and wait until Lenovo comes out with a sunlight readable screen.  Any suggestions?

John
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:32:02 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47:06 am »

Just to report that I successfully installed VL7-RC1 with vinstall-iso-ng. It was a very clean run and
for an installer I think it's the best.  Smiley

No bugs to report yet since this is the first booting and TGIF and my wine, yes not wife, is waiting.  Wink

Cheers
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »

The frigging mouse does not work right.  And it does not respond, it seems, to the mouse settings in xfce.  I may just be spoiled by my old IBM T42, which has one of those little mouse guy buttons in the middle of the keyboard.  But it would be nice to be able t slow down the mouse-pad, so I am not always inputting text in the wrong place.  I can't seem to alter the mousepad's behavior in settings.  I unloaded gdm but that didn't help.  I suspect I need to just disable the clicking gadget on the sliding mousepad surface .  But the laptop is almost unusable as I never know where the cursor is, unless I look, and I don't like looking for the damn thing.  It should be where I last left it.  Perhaps I need to turn it back to costco and wait until Lenovo comes out with a sunlight readable screen.  Any suggestions?

This behavior is typical for touchpads regardless of operating system. My suggestion is that you get a real mouse and disable the touchpad as much as you can. I don't like touchpads. I use a small notebook mouse with my laptop. They now make small things you can put under your laptop to get an extension for running the  mouse.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

This behavior is typical for touchpads regardless of operating system. My suggestion is that you get a real mouse and disable the touchpad as much as you can. I don't like touchpads. I use a small notebook mouse with my laptop. They now make small things you can put under your laptop to get an extension for running the  mouse.
--GrannyGeek

I'm afraid I have to agree with GrannyGeek.  When I really have something to type I always disable the touchpad on my laptop and go with a 3button mouse.  If I don't when my palms graze the touchpad the mouse shoots off and I end up typing somewhere I don't want to on the screen.
That being said you can try gsynaptics in the repository to give you a little control over your touchpad.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:09 pm »

On our HP-2133 Mini Notebook I was able to 'domesticate' the mouse on the
touchpad with gsynaptics. Smiley  And mind you my hands are old, big and shaky. Sad 
I usually use my nail that way I have better control.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:53:23 pm by Pita » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 11:31:12 pm »

Pita,

I would like to try gsynaptics but each time I get the error that SMHConfig must be True in xorg.conf.  I added the synaptics code to xorg.conf, in lieu of mouse, which gave me SMHConfig On but still get the error.  Any suggestions?

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:10 am »

Pita,

I would like to try gsynaptics but each time I get the error that SMHConfig must be True in xorg.conf.  I added the synaptics code to xorg.conf, in lieu of mouse, which gave me SMHConfig On but still get the error.  Any suggestions?

In xorg.conf under Section "InputDevice" 
Identifier     "Synaptics Touchpad" I have among others
Option   "SHMconfig"      "true"

There is no other mention of SHM in xorg.conf
Note its is SHM not SMH Wink
Hope that helps. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:48:57 am by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 07:11:37 pm »

There is no /usr/share/words, therfore, command 'look' does not work.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 07:33:18 pm »

Pita,

There is no xorg.conf on my machine anymore.  It runs better with the no xorg.conf install option.  And gsynaptics apparently won't run without an xorg.conf.  And I couldn't figure out how to disable the clicking machine, i.e. I wanted the touchpad to work to move the mouse and the two buttons to work, but I did not want the clicking aspect of the touchpad.  Why anyone would want that is beyond me.  It is ridiculous.

So, I followed grannygeeks suggestion and got a separate mouse....but since Staples didn't have a little one, I got a regular usb logitech mouse which works fine.  And, I taped something over the touchpad which worked, sort of.  Then I learned that the RF511 allows the touchpad to be disabled completely.  So that is sort of OK, but I will try to find a little mouse that I can use without moving my hand two miles away from the keyboard.

In short, from looking at the web, I see that this is not a problem with Vector.  It is a problem with synaptics.  Nonetheless, it would be very nice if VL 7 allowed us to use a touchpad which would move the mouse and not act as a button when you accidentally hit it with your thumb.

John

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2011, 01:31:19 am »

John

I did not know X will run w/o xorg.conf.

Anyhow just to check I booted VL7-BETA1-LIVE into HP-2133 and the
touchpad mouse works very well w/o me having done anything. xorg.conf is
configured correctly. I do not know what you mean by 'clicking machine'.
Using the touchpad there is no sound here.

As for a mouse I have a small one for a child's hand. Works well with my
mens' hand and on occation I use it with the HL-2133 when it is very hot
and my hand too sweaty. This mouse has even flashing lights. Grin
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 07:59:35 am »

Pita,

On my new samsung rf511, there is a touchpad and below that, separated by a bar, a left and a right mouse button.  By "clicking machine" I am referring to the button function of the mouse, which allows one to select an item on the screen.  That function should be limited to the buttons.  However, if I accidentally (or intentionally) touch the mousepad, it activates the cursor and selects an item on the screen or moves the mouse far away.  That is what I don't want.  I don't want the touchpad to act as a button.  I only want the touchpad to move the mouse.  Whatever convenience comes from being able to select items from the touchpad (vs the left or right mouse button) pales when compared to the inconvenience of alway having to watch the screen to see where the cursor is.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I most appreciate them.   

John

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 09:37:15 am »

John, you could try this command:

Code:
synclient MaxTapTime=0 MaxTapMove=0 MaxDoubleTapTime=0

It could be affected by the same issue as gsynaptic though. Maybe we could make a small xorg.conf with just the synaptics settings for you, or if you have an old xorg.conf from 6.0, you could just copy the synaptics section. If you take this route, beware that a bad xorg.conf could leave you without X, for restoring login as root in text mode and move the xorg.conf to xorg.conf.back or similar)

HTH, let us know how it goes

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »

Hi Rbistolfi,

This is what I get:

vector://home/johwhi
root:# synclient MaxTapTime=0 MaxTapMove=0 MaxDoubleTapTime=0
bash: /usr/bin/synclient: cannot execute binary file
vector://home/johwhi

I don't think my old xorg.conf will help as I had the touchpad disabled on my T42 (I used the keyboard pointer).

In any event, I am pretty satisfied with my current setup, being with a completely disabled onboard mouse and touchpad, but using an external wireless usb logitech mouse, per grannygeek's suggestion. 

And I am very, very happy with VL7 RC1.  I have pretty much moved everything from the old IBM T-42 to the Samsung RF511 S03.  Haven't yet got dosemu to work, so can't use my old foxpro 2.6 dos program (dosemu returns a
LOWRAM mmap: Invalid argument
Segmentation fault

I don't think this is a problem with VL7 though, as a web search shows it to be a common problem and though a fix is available, the fix apparently leaves the computer less secure.  I have to do something about this, as I use those files often.  So, one of these days I may import those old dbf files into something more modern. 

And I still haven't figured out how to get the emails saved on the T42 (Seamonkey) transferred to the RF511 and then imported into Thunderbird.  I actually like using firefox and thunderbird, and so far don't miss seamonkey too much, though I note getting to this forum on firefox is not quite as fast.

Another worry is this:  I am using VL7 RC1 now exclusively, except when I have to access email and foxpro files on the T42.  I don't look forward to installing VL7 RC2 (or whatever comes next) as that will likely blow up a lot of what I have recently done to get RC1 working to my liking.  (Since VL 6 won't load on my RF511 I tried Linux Mint for a week or two, thinking I would use it until the stable VL 7 comes out, but didn't like it.)

Still a couple of issues, but all in all VL 7 is something Vector should be very proud of.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »

One of those "related issues" which is likely not a bug at all, has to do with cups.  System / manage printing takes you right to cups 1.4.6.  It won't recognize (find) my usb HP laserjet 6 mp.  But it will find my HP laserjet 4.  If I am connected to the HL laserjet 4 I can "modify" it to an HP Lasewrjet 6 mp, but the printer still won't work.  If I tell it that its a 4 rather than a 6mp it will eventually print a test page, but is very very (unusably) slow.

There are lots of things on the cups site that I suppose would allow me to eventually  figure this out.  However, on VL6 I remained happily ignorant of CUPs workings.  VL6 just found the HP Laserjet 6MP and installed the driver for me.  I would prefer not learning about the operation of cups unless I have to.

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »

Has something changed for nfs networking in VL7?

For years I've used nfs for networking my Linux systems. I currently have four systems with nfs mount points. With all VectorLinuxes before VL7, I'd set up my nfs network once and ever after, I mounted a networked partition every time with a simple mount command, for example, mount /mnt/compaq.

With VL7 I have a lot of difficulty with mounting nfs partitions between sessions. I often have to run through the commands I use to set up the nfs network:
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd
rpc.statd
rpc.rquotad
exportfs -a

Once I've run though these commands on one or both machines, I can mount the nfs partition and work with it as if it's on my computer. But I've never had to do this time after time on earlier versions of VL.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Should I add these lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: