VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:07:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 RC-1 bug reports  (Read 27941 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 07:42:57 am »

I clicked on West (Chapter 12) in thunar 1.2.1 and no files showed.  I opened same folder with mc and all files showed.  I then changed name to West Chapter 12 and files showed again in thunar.  However the name did not change and remained West (chapter 12).  I then changed name of folder a second time and it took.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2011, 05:05:41 am »

Has something changed for nfs networking in VL7?

For years I've used nfs for networking my Linux systems. I currently have four systems with nfs mount points. With all VectorLinuxes before VL7, I'd set up my nfs network once and ever after, I mounted a networked partition every time with a simple mount command, for example, mount /mnt/compaq.

With VL7 I have a lot of difficulty with mounting nfs partitions between sessions. I often have to run through the commands I use to set up the nfs network:
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd
rpc.statd
rpc.rquotad
exportfs -a

Once I've run though these commands on one or both machines, I can mount the nfs partition and work with it as if it's on my computer. But I've never had to do this time after time on earlier versions of VL.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Should I add these lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
--GrannyGeek

there is now /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd
try adding "/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd start" to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2011, 06:37:01 am »

Have just installed RC1 using both text installer and GUI installer. Used to be that the text installer gave more control, but now it seems to be lagging behind e.g. no way to select which programs to install, only LILO but no GRUB... is it being phased out?

Anyway, installs with both installers went faultlessly and things are looking good. I did notice that brasero-lite is still in the list of packages which can be installed or left out when you do a custom install, but it isn't installed no matter which you choose. It used to be in one of the betas as I remember, so I guess it's a left-over from earlier.

Inkscape doesn't run for me, complaining about a missing libpoppler.so.12 - locate tells me there's a .13 installed but no 12.

I'd really like for gslapt to remember my password like it does in VL6 - I note that VL7 remembers the password for vasm, so the keyring thingy must be installed already.

Cheers
Andy
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »

there is now /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd
try adding "/etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd start" to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I did that and will see if the problem stops happening. Thanks!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »

From time to time I've had a problem in VL7 where something seems to grab the CPU to the extent that I can't get any input with keyboard or mouse, can't open another console, can't close anything or check processes, and have to push the power button and restart in order to regain control. The computer hasn't crashed. For example, today I was listening to streaming audio from the Internet when the CPU may have become maxxed out. Audio continued to play. I could not stop it, however. I was also copying a DVD and was at 97% completion, but was unable to finish the task. I had to terminate everything with the power button.

I suspect Flash may be the culprit, but it's very difficult to tell because I can't get a terminal or a new console to see what may be hogging things. Just thought I should mention it.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »

Abiword does not render correctly a .doc file with tables. Sad
The texts in tables become continues lines.

Pita,
can you email me a file that does this?
I don't have any and i would like to see if i can fix this.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

May be his helps:
in VL7
Tried to open abiword-2.6.6 in /mnt/VL6/usr/bin/abiword
and got:
        libgucharmap.so.6 => not found
        libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0 => not found
        libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0 => not found
        libgsf-gnome-1.so.114 => not found
        libwv-1.2.so.3 => not found

copied those filed to /usr/lib in VL7

Opened abiword version 2.8.6 in VL7, opened *.doc file with tables and they are not rendered correctly.
ldd /usr/bin/abiword has no "not found" even before copying the lib files above.

Copied abiword-2.6.6 from VL6 to /usr/local/bin/ opened it, opened *.doc file with tables and they are rendered correctly.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:19:12 pm by Pita » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 07:44:33 pm »

Abiword does not render correctly a .doc file with tables. Sad
The texts in tables become continues lines.
Pita thanks for the suggestions...........we found the problem a newer libwv was necessary. It will be fixed in the upcoming rc2 release.

Thanks for all your testing and reporting!!!!

Cheers,
Vec
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 08:39:45 pm »

The system freezes every day or two, requiring reboot.  Did it twice one morning last week.  I see no pattern.  I believe I was using the usb mouse (Logitech M305) each time it happened, but not sure.  Will watch more closely.

john   

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2011, 02:34:25 am »

@grannygeek and sledgrhamm pay close attention to dmesg.  Monitor yoir dmesg frequently and look for any kind of kernel dump.  Also, do 'cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted' frequently. That should return a 0 if it returns anything else, there is trouble.  Ive been having similar symptoms on a box of mine and I noticed something in the dmesg dump saying the kernel jad been tainted.  Best of luck

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:45 am »

cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted returns 0.

Here is a little part of my dmesg: (underlined is modified from original post)

19206] pci 0000:00:1c.4:   bridge window [io  0xa000-0xafff]

[   14.358617] iounmap: bad address f8800000
[   14.358621] Pid: 1709, comm: modprobe Not tainted 2.6.38.4 #1
[   14.358623] Call Trace:
[ vector:/~/src/Linphone/linphone-3.4.3
johwhi:$
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:34:09 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 09:38:30 am »

cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted returned 0. Nothing in dmesg that looks like a kernel dump. Would this be something that would happen around the time of a keyboard/mouse lockup? I've checked text log files in /var/log and didn't find anything suspicious around the time of the lockup. But I'm not sure what to look for and I don't have a clue about most of what I see.
--GrannyGeek

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »

In sledgehammers case I see the same symptoms I saw. There is a kernel dump and says 'not tainted' this in my experience is leading to the same problems I had

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »

I installed linphone 3.4.3 from slackbuilds.org and it loads fine.  I now have to figure out how to use it.

john

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »

Firewall.

I am famously ignorant of firewalls.  I still need to read up on the subject.  However, I note that I did not see an efficient way to install firestarter or guarddog so I decided to use VL7's built-in firewall.  If I start the firewall in vasm, open some ports (imap) and open gateway (have no idea what to do with gateway) and then start the firewall, I get a vfirewall when running ps -A.  However, when I try to enable that firewall at boot, it doesn't work...goes into an endless loop on reboot...something about everything needs a .conf or some such.   Have to force a shutdown and then on reboot, ps -A doesn't show any firewall.  Have to start the firewall again from vasm as above. 

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 01:49:10 am »

I agree with others here in that RC1 looks good and installed flawlessly. However, I *still can't change my keyboard map to a UK one (so " and @ are still transposed in RC1) and also, using LILO to boot installations of Linux distros with earlier kernels doesnt seem to work, at least not with the other distros / Vector version I've tried (Zenwalk 6 and Vector 6 Standard). It didn't have the same problem booting Absolute 13.1.6 (which is also based on Slackware 13) on my machine.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, etc.

* I reported the same problem with Vector 7.0 Beta 1.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: