VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:26:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 RC-1 bug reports  (Read 29998 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:48 am »

M0E-lnx: /proc/sys/kernel/tainted does not necessarily show a problem. Here are the codes:

bit 0 = a module with a GPL-incompatible license was loaded (tainted & 1),
bit 1 = module load was enforced (tainted & 2),
bit 2 = an SMP-unsafe module was loaded (tainted & 4),
bit 3 = (reserved),
bit 4 = an unsupported module was loaded (tainted & 16),
bit 5 = a module with third-party support was loaded (tainted & 32).
bit 10 = a machine check exception has occurred (taint & 1024; x86_64 only so far).

Also, there is some control over this:
At runtime, the setting of the" unsupported" kernel command line
parameter and /proc/sys/kernel/unsupported determines whether
unsupported modules can be loaded or not, and whether or not loading an
unsupported module causes a warning in the system log:

0 = only allow supported modules,
  1 = warn when loading unsupported modules,
  2 = don't warn.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:48:06 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2011, 06:18:10 am »

"Suspend" on this machine (RF511) works but on "unsuspend," the gui is unstable.  I fix this by logging out (not rebooting).  But I have to start vfirewall again from vasm.  Far as that goes, I think its safe to say that I can't get the vasm firewall to work at all...it does show vfirewall in ps -A after starting, but vfirewall seems to disappear after use, i.e. vfirewall shows in ps -A after starting firewall in vasm, but /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall status says "firewall not running" or some such.  And then vfirewall disappears in ps -A after a while.

My memory is hazy here, but I think that when I first started using the vasm firewall (turned in on in services level 4) it worked, as I don't think I could access my thunderbird imap email until I turned it off.

John
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:43:22 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2011, 11:21:29 pm »

Re my previous post about printing, cups doesn't seem to recognize the usb printer or the wireless xerox.  The VL 6 machines recognize both. 

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 04:45:00 am »

Fresh install of VL7 RC1.

Wanted to setup my printer, so I went to the menu and tried to launch hplip only to find out it doesn't run.

When hp-toolbox is called from the terminal it produces this output.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/hplip/toolbox.py", line 39, in <module>
    from base import status, tui, module
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/status.py", line 40, in <module>
    import hpmudext
ImportError: libnetsnmp.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

A search in the system reveals the library is present, but it is a newer version
root:# find /usr -name 'libnetsnmp.so.*'
/usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.25.0.1
/usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.25
A quick and dirty fix is to symlink to the newer version using the version python expects.... but I suposed there is a correct way to fix it.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:52 am »

Another (this time virtualized) install of 7.0 RC1

This one runs on a VM running ontop of another VL7 RC1 install.  I use this as a web and ssh server.  After about 10 minutes of uptime, my ssh session freezes and I get nice segfault message in dmesg
Code:
[  665.975878] xfce4-notifyd[3465]: segfault at 0 ip 0804db67 sp bffe8910 error 4 in xfce4-notifyd[8048000+a000]

In all fairness, the thing continues to run.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 05:18:37 pm »

On the old mail program 'exmh' which I have been using since my first days
 with Linux (at that time it was the program which made most sense to me
and did not crash every-now-and-then)  the mails are not displayed, therefore,
they cannot be opened. I assume this has something to do with locale character setting.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 11:49:05 pm »

I agree with others here in that RC1 looks good and installed flawlessly. However, I *still can't change my keyboard map to a UK one (so " and @ are still transposed in RC1) and also, using LILO to boot installations of Linux distros with earlier kernels doesnt seem to work, at least not with the other distros / Vector version I've tried (Zenwalk 6 and Vector 6 Standard). It didn't have the same problem booting Absolute 13.1.6 (which is also based on Slackware 13) on my machine.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, etc.

* I reported the same problem with Vector 7.0 Beta 1.

I just tried it with the command in xterm "setxkbmap gb" and there it is.
Shift # is now £, \ is now #, etc.

In VL6 there is an applet for the xfce4-panel to change the kbmap. I
can't see one in VL7 yet.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »

With newly burned CD in HP-2133 Mini-Note gui installer does not give the
option to choose the correct setting of the resolution unlike on desktop PC.
The result in an unusable display with large letters and boxes flowing into each other.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:15 pm »

Thunar continues to periodically act up.  I created a (sub) folder and moved some, but not all, of the other files in the main folder into the new folder, and after having done so, the files I did not move into the new folder did not show.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 12:31:49 am »

Shutdown goes into a continuous loop, related, I think, to my firewall settings.  Suspend seems to work, but after unsuspend, the program is quirky, so I don't use it.  Hibernate seems to work but on unhibernate, it seems to take as long as a restart.

Don't think these suggestions are necessarily bugs.  They may be simply something I am doing wrong.  I really like VL7. 

John

scififry

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 10:35:38 am »

I *still can't change my keyboard map to a UK one (so " and @ are still transposed in RC1)
* I reported the same problem with Vector 7.0 Beta 1.
Had the same problem with 7.0 ß2, my keyboard is a german one.

One question about the releases when the final version is released:
Will there be a 7.0 light edition?
I'd really appreciate this because my oldy box only has a 350MHz CPU Cheesy The 6.0 light edition I'm currently using runs really fast (with multimedia, video etc...) and is overall really great, but sometimes it feels a bit "outdated"..

So, thanks for your hard work! Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 11:27:35 am »

I can't get JPilot to work. I have a Sony Clie (Palm OS) and it has worked fine in previous versions of VectorLinux. I can't sync as root or as user. I used the same approach as I did with earlier versions but no joy.

Is anybody successfully syncing with a Palm OS device?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 11:43:38 am »

One question about the releases when the final version is released:
Will there be a 7.0 light edition?

I have no inside information whatever, so this is a pure guess based on what has happened in the past.

VectorLinux Light is a separate release and is not just a slimmed down VL Standard. My guess is that once VL7 Standard goes Gold, testing will start on VL7 Light.

I use VL6 Light on two underpowered computers. One is the Dell laptop I use every day (2.4 GHz Celeron, 1 gig RAM, Intel Brookdale onboard graphics that VL hates), the other is a laptop used as a desktop because the backlight has burned out and I attach a monitor to it (Toshiba Mobile Celeron 2 GHz, 512 megs RAM, onboard Intel graphics). I do hope we have a VL7 Light. As you say, VL6 Light is showing its age.

I don't believe you that VL Light runs fast on a 350 MHz computer. Smiley I've been through that with slower computers. I found it unbearable on a 500 MHz Celeron and finally gave that computer away. The two laptops I mentioned above are okay for daily use but they are not fast and they can't do streaming video worth anything. They play music fine and I can watch DVDs and local video, but a TV show or Flash streamed over the Internet is awful. I suppose some of it is in the eye of the beholder.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
scififry

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:35 am »

Ahh, thought also that the Light Editions are a seperate project.

Well, what do you consider as really fast. Sure, Flash runs awful. But that's not the problem of my computer, it's more the problem of Flash Wink But youtube in 240p and low scaling rate works smoothly, and DVDs play well in fullscreen.
Anyways, i'm loving this oldy box and don't need that much multimedia, it's mostly for chatting and posting on some forums.
But next week i'm getting a ThinkPad laptop (don't know which model exactly), so I'll have some power.. Grin
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 06:20:47 pm »

I can't get JPilot to work. I have a Sony Clie (Palm OS) and it has worked fine in previous versions of VectorLinux. I can't sync as root or as user. I used the same approach as I did with earlier versions but no joy.
Granny can you try this updated pilot-link pkg see if you can sync up with it?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/vec7/pilot-link-0.12.5-i586-4vl70.txz

just download it and do upgradepkg and see if you have better results.

Thanks,
Vec
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: