VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 01:28:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newest Chrome won't install or run [SOLVED - I hope]  (Read 3839 times)
RonB
Vectorite

« on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:56 am »

I got careless. Normally I keep the last version of Chrome (and other applications) on hand so, if something goes wrong with the latest update, I can reinstall the older version. But everything has been working fine with Chrome, so I've been deleting the RPM packages after installing them.

Today I downloaded the latest Google Chrome Browser -- and it won't install. I get the following messages...

~~
1:google-chrome-stable   ########################################### [100%]
warning: only V3 signatures can be verified, skipping V4 signature
xdg-desktop-menu: No writable system menu directory found.
service atd is not active.
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
job 10 at Tue May 10 07:01:00 2011
Can't open /var/run/atd.pid to signal atd. No atd running?
Press enter to continue...
~~

I normally get the V4 signatures and no writable directory "errors," it's the service atd line that is new.

It's never asked for the atd.pid before. I don't have clue what it wants. It may be a service I turned off when I installed VL 6 because I didn't think I needed it running.

If I try to run 'google-chrome' from the terminal, I get the following error...

~~
ronb:$ google-chrome
/usr/bin/google-chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
~~

It's never asked for 'libpam' before.

Will the newer versions of the Chrome Browser no longer work in VectorLinux 6? Or is this something I've goofed up on my own? Does anyone know where I can download an older version of Chrome if I can't get the newer version to work. I used Chrome quite a lot.

Thanks for any pointers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:53:50 am by RonB » Logged

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:43:55 am »

Yes, I ran into that libpam issue. I use a slackbuilds.org script to repackage chrome .deb packages and 11.0 fails to run, so I went back to 10.0. Of course I don' t really use chrome, nor opera or firefox for that matter, but I keep them updated for testing. I'm still a seamonkey man,  Grin

Anyway, coming back on track... I halfheartedly searched for a pam package for slackware, but no luck yet, so I might try and build one if I get the time and no one beats me to it. I gather pam is sort of "verbotten" in the slackware world, or at least frowned upon... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:52:43 am »

Yes, I ran into that libpam issue. I use a slackbuilds.org script to repackage chrome .deb packages and 11.0 fails to run, so I went back to 10.0. Of course I don' t really use chrome, nor opera or firefox for that matter, but I keep them updated for testing. I'm still a seamonkey man,  Grin

Anyway, coming back on track... I halfheartedly searched for a pam package for slackware, but no luck yet, so I might try and build one if I get the time and no one beats me to it. I gather pam is sort of "verbotten" in the slackware world, or at least frowned upon... Wink

I couldn't find a Slackware package either -- so I Googled and found 'http://pkgs.org/package/libpam.so.0' and downloaded the version for CentOS 5, then installed it using mc. I then needed another package (audit-libs) that I downloaded at 'http://pkgs.org/package/audit-libs' (again, using the CentOS 5 version and mc to install it). I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be done, but I'm typing this message in Chrome 11.0.696.65.

At any rate, it was a quick fix -- hopefully I haven't messed anything up in my system.

Thanks for the response, BTW. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:56:06 am by RonB » Logged

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: