VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 07:45:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Package request - IceWM plus mods  (Read 5221 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: May 15, 2011, 03:25:19 am »

I it would be really nice if an updated IceWM with the excellent modifications as seen in the 6.0 Vector light could be added to the 7.0 repositories...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:27:20 am »

Testing in progress. Not sure about the new version of PCManFM, may just stick with 0.5.x. Thoughts on that?
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »

If there are issues with the latest PCManFM then stick with 0.5.x

It seems a shame in a way with the work people have done with the look and feel for XFCE for Vector 7.0 standard but I do like IceWM
scififry

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:26:17 am »

Yes, i can only agree to Lyn. I'm using VL 6.0 Light and also like the design of IceWM the most. Tried the 7.0beta2 and also didn't like the look of XFCE.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:31:46 am »

Tried the 7.0beta2 and also didn't like the look of XFCE.
You're not the only one Wink

scififry

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:18 am »

Wink Oh...
The only thing I like on Xfce more is the Linux-classical black mouse pointer. The white one of IceWM reminds me always a bit of the one of the operating system most of us hate so much.

That always interested me, is the mouse pointer just an image file (.png, .gif, or something like that) which is moving to the movement of the mouse?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:44:04 am »

is the mouse pointer just an image file (.png, .gif, or something like that) which is moving to the movement of the mouse?
It is a theme composed of several images.

Look at the contents of /usr/share/icons/whiteglass/cursors for example.

pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »

Testing in progress. Not sure about the new version of PCManFM, may just stick with 0.5.x. Thoughts on that?

I'm using pcmanfm 0.9.8 from the vl7 repos. Seems to work ok for me, but I don't use alot of features that others might.

What problems do you foresee with the newer versions of PCManFM?

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:39:06 pm »

In some ways I prefer PCManFM to Thunar, so I've installed PCManFM in my VL7 Standard RC1 desktop computers. It's the version that's in the VL7 repo. I haven't had any problems.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 10:11:55 am »

Pcmanfm 0.9.x seems to be much more integrated with LXDE components than 0.5.x is. It has more dependencies, including gvfs. This adds functionality, of course. Features like samba browsing support and trash can would probably be valued by less savvy users, but I'm wary of "feature creep". Those who want more automation would be better off with VL Standard.

Comments and suggestions?
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »

I've been using pcmanfm with GVFS on other systems for quite a while now it seems. I'm always super-critical of extended dependency trees, but did not have any hesitation with utilizing GVFS.

However after you mentioned it, I did a quick search and it seems that GVFS can be used "optionally". I read that if the library is not present on the system, that pcmanfm will silently drop those features from usage.

While very uncommon, there's a few filesystems-access-types that are almost exclusive to GVFS. I've recently dealt with a cellular phone's network filesystem that strictly needed GVFS to access. No commandline or low-level  access tools available for it. This was actually why I switched to the pre-release 0.9x branch some time ago. Even though I never got the cell thing working, I stuck with 0.9x and have no regrets. I even continue to use it to manage my desktop icons/background.

OTOH, I _HATE__HATE__HATE_ file manager trash cans. Every rare once in a while I'll think, oops I shouldn't have deleted that and of course I don't have atrash can in that case. But multiple times a week I'll think about my dislike for trash cans when I have them!

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:47 pm »

Why do you hate a trash can? If you don't like it, just don't use it. The latest PCManFM from the VL7 repos asks you if you want the deleted file to go to the trash can and you can choose "no." I haven't looked enough to see if you can set up a straight and final Delete with PCManFM. Thunar does offer that option if you choose to add it.

It's good to be sure you want to delete a file before you do it and not use the Trash as a temporary storage area while you decide, but we're all human and occasionally make mistakes.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:50 pm »

Features like samba browsing support and trash can would probably be valued by less savvy users, but I'm wary of "feature creep". Those who want more automation would be better off with VL Standard.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "more automation would be better off with VL Standard." More automation in comparison to what? IceWM? LXDE? And what does it have to do with PCManFM?

PCManFM seems to be usable on several window managers, and it is what it is. I like it quite a bit and usually use it in preference to Thunar on VL7 Standard, but Midnight Commander is still my most-used file manager in all VectorLinuxes I use.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

I've just checked PCManFM Edit, Preferences, and in the General tab you can choose "Move deleted files to trash bin instead of erasing from disk." So you don't have to deal with the Trash at all if you don't want to. You can also choose "Confirm before deleting files" if you want to do that or uncheck it if you don't.

I like programs that give me a choice, rather than that try so hard to be mean and lean that they lack things people are used to having.
--GrannyGeek

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:56:42 pm »

Granny, I take your posts as a vote in favor of the new version of pcmanfm with gvfs enabled.

When I say "automation", I refer to the differences between pcmanfm 0.9.x and 0.5.x. In the later version, gvfs enables features like the trash can and automatic browsing of virtual filesystems (SFTP, FTP, WebDAV, SMB, OBEX and more). This brings pcmanfm's feature set closer to that of Thunar's.

I'm not sure about possible performance penalties and added complexity needed for these more advanced features.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: