Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Trying to get Google Chrome  (Read 1910 times)

pottzie

Trying to get Google Chrome
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:32:00 am »
 Just did a fresh install of Vector 6.0 lite, and I'm trying to get Google Chrome working following opensourcebistro's instructions. Problem came when I tried to get mozilla-nss 3.12.3 from slackfind.net. The only version listed was 3.12.4, so I went with the 32-bit version. After finishing what the guide suggested, when I type "google-chrome" in the terminal, it shows:
 vl:$ google-chrome
/usr/bin/google-chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Tried searching, but it's broken, as reported in other threads.

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
Re: Trying to get Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:14:36 pm »
Have not been on any of the 6.0's in a while, but I think mozilla-nss is now part of the repositories.  You may want to unintall the slackfind one and use the one in repo.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

pottzie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »
 Used Midnight Commander to remove the mozilla-nss, and checked the repositories. There was no "mozilla" nss, but there was one that was just "nss" so I installed it. Now I have:
  vl:$ google-chrome
/usr/bin/google-chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so.1d: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 Which is a little different, but with the same result.

I re-ran the  chmod 777 /dev/shm and cp /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome.desktop /usr/share/applications/ commands.

BTW, is there a VL 7.0 lite?  The reason I loaded Vector is because it has Chestnut Dialer, and dial-up is all I have when I take the computer to work.

haywire

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:06 am »
I too tried to get chrome installed but wasn't able to get it going myself.

Someone really should build a working install from gslapt for chrome. Its worlds faster than firefox, and perfect for vector lite...

Steven

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:58:03 am »
I remember having to make several symlinks to get it working. As root, in a terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libnss3.so libnss3.so.1d
ln -s libnssutil3.so libnssutil3.so.1d
ln -s libsmime3.so libsmime3.so.1d