VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:44:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-lite  (Read 726 times)
aryr100

« on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »

Will there be a VL-lite-7.0 ?
Will it still have the iceWM ?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »

That is the current plan, yes.
vectornewb

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »

As this person above mentions and no doubt knows wayyyyy more about than I do, says. That's the impression I'm getting. Wondering and anxious to see what improvements the VL devs will work into it. VL light 6.0 is pretty darn sweet imo. They are setting the bar pretty high planning to beat what they've already done with this earlier release. Will be happy if they do though. Obviously some very talented software devs working behind the scenes with VL.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:04:27 pm by vectornewb » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

I'm not a dev and know very little about inner workings of the distro, but I do know that VL7 Light will have updated libraries and a newer kernel. VL6 Light is quite aged now. There are programs you can't compile or install because they need newer libraries, etc., that can't easily be added to VL6 without breaking lots of things.

I agree that VL6 Light is a lovely thing and I use it every day on my laptop. Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to VL7 Light. The goal with Light is to make it lean and mean while providing a complete Linux installation that provides for the things most people do routinely. I'm sure we'll see the same thing with VL7 Light.

By the way, when testing starts for VL7 Light, it would really help if you could participate. Testing as many hardware and software configurations as possible really helps to uncover bugs. If you can set up a 10-gig or so partition for future testing, you'll find that testing VL7 Light alpha/beta/RC will leave the rest of your computer alone.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: