VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 12:39:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Different ways of doing things.  (Read 1819 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:46 pm »

I'm sure many of us get requests for "would you take a look at my computer?". I do help friends out when I can, and have saved many a Windows machine from premature retirement. It enjoy being being helpful, and occasionally there is a question "what's this Linux thing I hear you use". I will happily answer, but do not push it on anyone.

The latest request was a surprise. "I have a laptop, it's a hand-me-down from my husband. It got too slow and flaky so he bought a new one. Could you fix it?". Sure, why not? I expected a tired old XP box, but what she handed me was a machine more powerful than anything I have ever had. How about an 8 core i7 with 8 GB of RAM running Windows 7?

A quick look revealed "the usual suspects". And yes, it was no sprinter. A restore to factory defaults did wonders.

I do understand that people don't want to become hackers to use their computers. They just want to buy it and start using it. When things go wrong, they solve the problem by buying a new one. Works for them.

Doesn't work for me.
scififry

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »

Works for me neither; always buying a new computer only because the software fails is a very huge waste.

Lately I got a "new" (for me) mainboard, AMD Athlon 3200+ 64 2 GHz, 1280 MB RAM; just added a case, HD and DVD-RW and it was ready.
Before I was using my old box, 350 MHz P2, 320 MB RAM.

And not only a waste money-wise. It's an economical waste, considering they buy an all-new, complete computer.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:35:35 pm »

The latest request was a surprise. "I have a laptop, it's a hand-me-down from my husband. It got too slow and flaky so he bought a new one. Could you fix it?".

I certainly hope your reply was, "No. I'm sorry. It's shot to hell. However I'll give you 500 bucks for it so it's not a total loss."  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

I can't imagine buying a new computer just because the old one was messed up. But then, the people don't know what to do and it's not cheap to pay someone to fix the mess, so I guess a new computer is the easiest way out.

I've never had a computer get so messed up that it slowed to a crawl. But no matter what might go wrong, I could fix it since I'm pretty confident with hardware and software.

What a shame to let an i7 with 8 gigs become a virtual doorstop! I've never had anything that up to date. When I buy, I generally start cheap and plan to upgrade gradually. Then I keep stuff until it starts to get too annoying to wait for the computer to do what I want done. That can be a very long time. I recently ditched my 1.3 GHz Celeron with 1 gig because I was tired of its horrid jerky performance with streaming video, which I use a lot. None of my computers are close to state of the art but they do what I need them to do in a way that's acceptable to me. I've noticed that I'm starting to get annoyed with my Dell laptop (7-1/2 years old) because it's no good with streaming video. So in a few months I'll probably get fed up and will get a new laptop.

Hardware makers are probably not too fond of Linux users like us.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:56:03 am »

I'm definitely in the market for a new notebook as this one is starting to show it's age on the Winderz side. Works fine for work stuff, but it's really starting to struggle with some games. Once I have a shiny new one, I think this one will get converted totally to Linux and given to the youngest. She's really taking a shine to computers and should enjoy the hell out of playing with Linux and figuring out how things work.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: