VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 02:59:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: xserver fails on new install VL6.0 SOHO  (Read 874 times)
megisto

« on: June 11, 2011, 11:19:01 pm »

Hi Folks,

I attempted to install VL 6.0 SOHO using VirtualBox. The hard disk is reaching scrap metal age, due to frequent UNC errors. Nonetheless I want to test Vector Linux. Installation went fine, but gdm server won't start. It generates "Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ yatty yatty yata." In fact there is no such path as specified in the xorg.conf /usr/share/fonts. I am not just missing some font types, there are in fact none, there is no such directory /usr/share/fonts. It is probably my omission, since I did not select all the installation options, such as xfce for alternate display managers. The other point of interest hald (hardware abstraction layer) fails during configuration boot phase. I can login to run level 2, but since there is no network yet, don't seem to have an option to pull missing fonts from the repositories. There are fonts installed under other programs 'locate fonts' has quite a few hits. It is also possible to 'mount -o loop vector_linux.iso /mnt/disk' and copy the font files. I did not anticipate font policy quicksand with a new install. Some type of system font should have been installed by default with a new install. Is there another work-around to fix the missing fonts?

With kind regards,

megisto
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:22:28 am by megisto » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: