VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:23:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: As it says - Introducing myself  (Read 2324 times)
Mit

« on: June 14, 2011, 01:50:12 pm »

Hello fellow Vector users.

I have just got Vector Light up and running on an old laptop:
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 800Mhz 256Mb 14Gb.

I recently found XP became unusable on this old machine due to the increased memory requirements of updated software. I tried a lot of live CDs and was about to resign myself to a new laptop when I found Vector Linux. I am very impressed with the way it installed and the speed everything runs at on this old hardware, but I have a lot of questions.

I have been using computers for 25 yrs since I set up an Amstrad PCW running CPM Plus to do business applications but I have never been a computer professional and have no special knowledge of Linux.

Looking forward to it.
vectornewb

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:58:21 pm »

Welcome to the VL forums. This place is a lil bit of a ghost town so far, shrugs. Still some really nice people to help us VL newbs out though. Cheesy
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:27 pm »

Welcome Mit.

Make yourself at home and ask lots of questions. It takes a while to get the feel for both the distro and the forum. Smiley
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:03:40 pm »

Hello Mit. Hope you'll stick around. Yes, things seem a bit quiet on the forum at the moment and I think the main reason is that lots of regulars are working really hard to get the next release (VL7) ready. But as vectornewb says, there are some nice ppl around who are eager to help so I hope you'll enjoy your time with VL.
Andy
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »

Heya there

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:04:14 pm »

Hi Mit.
Welcome aboard.  When your are ready to ask a question, I think you'll find there is someone ready to answer it.
We might me a little distracted with the upcoming release of vl70, but we are still ready to help with what questions you might have.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Mit

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:52 am »

I really appreciate the welcome. Thanks.

I am getting my system set up to do what i need and stumbling around a bit in packages so the first place I am going to ask questions is in the Software Dept.

Mit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: