VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 12:07:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie confusion over Gslapt and installing packages  (Read 1115 times)
Mit

« on: June 15, 2011, 12:48:32 pm »

I am enjoying getting Vector Lite set up on an old laptop, 800mhz /256Mb. One of the things I need to do is update and alter a couple of websites I have. I like to have an html editor for this and I am familiar with one called 'Komposer' and have been trying to get it running.

The first thing I did was start Gslapt, click on UPDATE , then when it was ready VIEW chose ALL and wrote Komposer in the search window and hit ENTER. It looked like Komposer wasn't available because I got no results but never mind I will find another html editor for my web pages. I write 'web page' in the search box start scrolling through the results and there I find two copies of Komposer. I had a look at the 'How To' on this site and it said Gslapt is totally obvious and needs no instructions, so first question: How do you find the software you need ? Name? Keywords? what? I found using different key words i got very hit and miss results.

So I go to install the first Komposer package and it all looks like it completes okay. I can't find it on the Programs Menu but I have read the 'Getting Started' pages and I know to run the UPDATE MENU item but it doesn't appear after that either. I downloaded and installed the other copy of Komposer but I still can't get it on the Menu. Gslapt reports them both installed.

Never mind I will find the download and have ago at installing it manually. So I open PCMan File Manager and start looking. I can't find any obvious directories and run the search function but can't find any files or folders named Komposer. So more questions: Where are the downloads and where are the programs?

And that is as far as I got before coming here.

And the more obvious question: How do I install Komposer on my system?

And while I am asking questions here is another: While I am burrowing around my disk with PC Man I can't see any other partitions or disks. How do I browse them? ATM I just keep going up a level to / and that's as far as I can get.

TIA. Maybe I should have posted in the Newby section. These must be real beginners problems.

Mit

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:54:28 pm by Mit » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:49 pm »

Komposer is a KDE ap. Since you didn't specify which vl version this is, I have to assume because of the hardware that you listed that you are running either the Light or STD version, which none of them have KDE on them.

With that said, the xfce or icewm (in the case of light) may not show komposer.  You can always open a terminal and execute
Code:
komposer
to fire up the application.  If it works, it's just a matter of creating a desktop shortcut or a panel launcher.

As far as your partitions go, they must be mounted before you can browse them... I'm not sure PCManFM can do that on its own.

Mit

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »

Thanks for that response. i just realised i was spelling it wrong Kompozer not Komposer. No wonder I had such trouble finding it. Couldn't make it run from a terminal until I spelt it right either. Sheesh it makes you feel stupid.

Mit
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

When you have your menu icons updated, there might be a seperate checkbox to look for KDE applications. This should help you get it into your menu.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: