VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: laptop Battery charge indicator  (Read 4052 times)

Mit

laptop Battery charge indicator
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »

I can't find a battery power meter anywhere in my Vector Lite 6 installation. Is there one?

Mit

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: laptop Battery charge indicator
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »

Vl light runs icewm which is not suited with a panel and widgets. There are ways to get an indicator in there but it takes some work and it is not provided by default or as a preset configuration

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:44:22 pm »

I have no idea whether this will give you what you want, but in ~/.icewm/preferences there are these lines:
#  Show APM/ACPI/Battery/Power status monitor on task bar
# TaskBarShowAPMStatus=0 # 0/1

Try uncommenting the second line so it says this:
TaskBarShowAPMStatus=1 # 0/1

Let us know if you get a battery monitor. I don't have a battery in my laptop because it's old  and the battery expired long ago, so I removed it and a replacement is too expensive. Otherwise I'd try out the suggestion above and report what happens. I don't know if you need a battery monitor utility installed in order for this to work.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:26 am »

You can use gkrellm to monitor battery (and lots of other parameters).

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 05:32:56 am »

Another option is a customized conky. The trick is to monitor /proc/acpi/battery or /proc/acpi/power I forget which one now... but I know I did it.

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:58:06 am »

The edit of ~/.icewm/preferences suggested by GrannyGeek does work (be sure to change "=0" to "=1"). It's uglier than gkrellm, but it is very simple.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:56:20 am »

Thanks for letting us know the preferences file edit does work. I've never had occasion to try it.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

You can use gkrellm to monitor battery (and lots of other parameters).

^^ This...

In my IceWM days, gkrellm stayed on the desktop just about all the time. There's a battery meter plugin for it.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 05:57:18 pm »

In my IceWM days, gkrellm stayed on the desktop just about all the time. There's a battery meter plugin for it.

Excuse my asking, but I've never understood why anyone would need to monitor all that stuff. I can see it if you're trying to troubleshoot a problem and I can see the use of a battery monitor if you're running on battery. But the rest? Just curiosity? Inquiring minds want to know.<g>
--GrannyGeek

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:34:04 pm »

You don't need to have it all running. You can turn a lot of the stuff off and use just what you want to use. I had the network monitoring up, email, and the drive monitoring (had an ancient IDE drive that I didn't quite fully trust).
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz