VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 10:02:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello world.  (Read 1641 times)
kea

« on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »

Hello folks...
I have been trying quite a few distros that would answer my needs, recently, and I must admit vector really impressed me.
I not such a new linux user, but a lazy one, although I do appreciate stability and security. (however, in the slack family, vanilia slackware is really too much of a "climb or fall" thing for my desktop use, and salix is even worse :  XFCE localisation and nvidia driver hell really are love-killers, IMHO)

I must say vector really suits my need. Excellent optimisation, and still quite a good "out of the box" support. For what I have seen so far, this is the one distro that really impressed me.
I'm really considering the 7 release as a next-main-distro-to-be. The only real thing I need is a lamp server (and quanta) for web development. I assume xampp should do the trick, but you know how it is...  I noticed that 6 deluxe edition inludes these things; add phpmysadmin on top on that, and you'll definitely get my 20 bucks out of enthusiastic support.

Ok, am I being useful saying that 7 RC2 miveCD works quite well on my desktop, as far as I can tell (just booted really) ? Boot logs gave me an ALSA fail, but sound was working fine. The one thing I lacked was htop, actually. (the first thing I wanted to launch.  Grin )
I would add that, on 6, localisation was all right, although a localised firefox would have been nice. a few of the gslapt packages didn't work, too.

I don't know what to think about the announced 7 features, yet. AUR and arch-compatibility do sound nice, but their messy and instable nature turned me away from arch. How that will mix with slackware rigidity, i don't know yet, but surely, I'm eager to discover. I hope the team gets enough manpower to handle such ambitions. Definitely hope it does. That balance between stability, safety and ease of use is all I'm asking for. Might well give us the best distro around.

Well, once again, thank you for this beautiful piece of software. I am really impressed, like I haven't been in ages, and wish you all the best for the future. I'll try to do my bit for promoting this perl in france. (WhenI get some spare time.  Embarrassed)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:24:23 pm by kea » Logged
kea

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »

stupid double post. I should go to bed. ^^
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »

Welcome kea. One nice thing about Vector Linux is that the users have more influence here than with bigger distros. You can request a specific package or feature. If the resources are there (manpower and expertise), you will find that your request gets fulfilled.

So go ahead and familiarize yourself with the system and make yourself at home. Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:39:23 pm »

htop is in the VL7 testing repo. I always install it on my first go-round with Gslapt.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: