VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 10:59:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem Installing Flash Player  (Read 3132 times)
Martin109
Vectorite

« on: July 11, 2010, 01:06:39 pm »

I've downloaded the latest version of Flash Player.

It's called install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

When I run, as root:

Code:
slapt-get -i install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

I get:
reading Package Lists... Done
No such package: /home/martin/Downloads/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

yet it's sitting there in that directory!

What am I doing wrong?

Compaq Armada E500, i686 Pentium III, 512Mb RAM, 3.2 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 5.9 Standard

Fujitsu Lifebook, i686 Pentium M, 1.7 GHz, 1028Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard

Compaq Evo, i686 Pentium M, 1.4 GHz, 512Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:24:15 pm »

This is not a Slackware package. Follow this tutorial: http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/10.Browsers/flashupg/flash_ins.htm
Martin109
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:19:18 pm »

Thanks, nightflier - I'll study it!

Compaq Armada E500, i686 Pentium III, 512Mb RAM, 3.2 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 5.9 Standard

Fujitsu Lifebook, i686 Pentium M, 1.7 GHz, 1028Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard

Compaq Evo, i686 Pentium M, 1.4 GHz, 512Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:28 pm »

Flash is very easy to install. Forget about packages, installers, blah, blah. Just download the tar.gz for Linux file from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP . Close your open browsers. Once the file is downloaded, open a terminal, su to root, start Midnight Commander (mc) and go to your user download directory. In Midnight Commander, highlight the downloaded Flash file, hit F2, and select Unpack Selected File. The one you want is libflashplayer.so; ignore any others. Still in Midnight Commander as root, switch the other panel to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Find the libflashplayer.so in that directory and rename it to libflashplayer.so_old. (This makes it easy to recover if the new Flash Player causes problems.)  After the file is renamed, copy libflashplayer.so that you just unpacked from the download directory to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Make it executable (in Midnight Commander, highlight the file and hit Control+x, c and put checks in the Execute, Search boxes). I always do a ldconfig at a terminal prompt every time I install something but it's probably unnecessary.

When you restart your browsers, they should all be using the new version of Flash. Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Opera all can get Flash from the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory. You don't need to install into each browser individually.

To make sure your browsers are using the new Flash, go to
 http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
and you'll see what version you are running and what the latest version is.

When everything is working, you can delete the files you downloaded and unpacked from your user downloads directory.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:41:27 am »

Hate to sound like a broken record, but this fix did not work. I was shocked to go to adobe site, download the latest flashplayer .tgz file, get the libxxxxx.so file place it in mozilla folder as mentioned and yet no flash player working.
VL in the past has been good at dealing with flashplayer. I believe it is imperative that flashplayer be included in the repository for newbies like myself who do not fancy issues with cmd line. Well, I dont mind the cmd, if it works.
The link guide is nice, but the poster forgets that the guy with issue cant view howto as it requires flashplayer already working to see video guide. lol.
I stupidly tried too. Besides the flash thing VL is super nice. I like how kde was done and the inclusion of gnome is super super nice.
Great job again.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:12 am »

Absent a gui installer, you can upgrade/install using the following commands.
Open a terminal, copy each line from your browser, then paste them into the terminal.
You can paste with key combination Shift-Insert.
Remember that you probably have to restart your browser before the new version shows up.

Code:
su
wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
tar zxvf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
mv /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so.old
mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 05:16:42 pm »

Was there no flashplayer working when you did the install?  Although an older one, I've done four installs and flash worked out of the box. Just curious...

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
vectornewb

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:44:04 am »

Thanks nightflier and GG as always. Seems like this place and definitely my VL experience wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable without you sharing nix tips n helping newbs like me learn which way is up. Latest flashplayer installed as per nightfliers terminal instruction and confirmed w the link GG posted to the adobe test page.

Appreciate the help and time you 2 have taken to help folks like myself out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: