VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 10:26:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Installed Jdk but errors.  (Read 3223 times)
flebber

« on: June 17, 2011, 08:25:15 pm »

I downloaded the latest jdk from oracle jdk1.6.0_26 I saved it to my user drive.

I did chmod +x

then ./jdk-6u26-linux-i586.bin # the install went okay i pressed enter to complete.

Following this guide I set path and home http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-set-java_home-path-variable/

so my bash profile is

Code:
# LOCALES ADDITIONS MADE BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER
export LANG=en_US
`setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us`
# END OF MODIFICATIONS BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" # Load RVM func$
export JAVA_HOME=~/jdk1.6.0_26/bin/java
export PATH=$PATH:~/jdk1.6.0_26/bin

But testing the path and java show it is clearly not working.

Code:
vector:/~
flebber:$ echo $JAVA_HOME

flebber:$ echo $PATH
/home/flebber/.rvm/gems/rbx-2.0pre/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/gems/rbx-2.0pre@global/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/rubies/rbx-2.0pre/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/opt/kde3/lib/qt3/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin
flebber:$ which java
which: no java in (/home/flebber/.rvm/gems/rbx-2.0pre/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/gems/rbx-2.0pre@global/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/rubies/rbx-2.0pre/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/opt/kde3/lib/qt3/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin)
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »

Question: Why did you install to your home directory instead of into /opt? This is the normal location for java.

Solution: You most likely did not log out and back in. bash profile is not automatically re-read when you run a command, it is sourced at login time. You can also re-read it manually by typeing ". .bash_profile"(note the space between periods) or "source .bash_profile"

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
flebber

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:38 pm »

I just followed the oracle instructions they were simply download - chmod +x - ./ .

I did source .bash_profile and when that didn't work I logged in and out. Still no go.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

I got me the slackware package of jdk, and it seems to work just fine out of the box.

To determine the slackware version your VL was built on:
Code:
cat /etc/slackware-version

Go to a slackware repository (for instance http://ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/slackware ), and find the directory matching your slackware version. Go there, then go to extra/jdk-6 subdir. download the .txz package, and install it with
Code:
installpkg [path to package]

Done!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
flebber

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:14:14 pm »

Where exactly does installpkg, install the jdk. I followed your instructions and I am on 13.37.

After installing I logged out and back in but "which java" still shows no java.

Code:
flebber:$ which java
which: no java in (/home/flebber/.rvm/gems/rbx-2.0pre/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/gems/rbx-2.0pre@global/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/rubies/rbx-2.0pre/bin:/home/flebber/.rvm/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde3/lib/qt3/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin)

EDIT: I tried using grep to find jdk.
Code:
grep -r 'jdk' /* > ~/results.txt
This however crashed my system and I had to turn it off at the power.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:24:39 pm by flebber » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:58:34 am »

On my system (also slack version 13.37) it was installed in /usr.
Code:
whereis java
java: /usr/lib/java

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »

Code:
vl:$ grep "java$" /var/log/packages/* 
/var/log/packages/jre-6u6-i586-3:usr/lib/java/bin/java

What version of vectorlinux are you running?

Is the jdk in the repos not new enough for your needs?

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
flebber

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:49 am »

I am on vector 7 slack 13.37. The repo's didn't have any jdk in it. If there has been an update to the vector repo's recently I will have to re-check.
flebber

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:22:33 am »

Yeah double checked just now. There are more packages in the repository  Grin but no jdk at the moment, still just jre.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:19:51 am »

enable extra and testing in gslapt. Edit>>Preferences>>Sources>>Check the boxes you want enabled.
You should find JDK then.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/l/jdk-6u24-i586-1vl70.txz
Just showing the url to give you confidence it is there, but install through GSlapt, so if there is dependencies required they will be taken care of.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
flebber

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 02:51:02 pm »

Will give it a try. I need to fully reinstall vector7 though. I went through the process of installing mono/monodevelop and dependecies last night and it totally killed my vector install the desktop would not function at all. libgdata and consolekit were the dependencies at fault I think. Learnt my lesson wont be doing that again  Wink
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:14 pm »

Will give it a try. I need to fully reinstall vector7 though. I went through the process of installing mono/monodevelop and dependecies last night and it totally killed my vector install the desktop would not function at all. libgdata and consolekit were the dependencies at fault I think. Learnt my lesson wont be doing that again  Wink

Problem with mono/monodevelop?
flebber

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 05:38:53 pm »

Well think it was the dependencies required to install mono that caused the issues. It was either libgdata or consolekit which caused it. I actually lean think it was consolekit that wrecked the desktop settings.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »

libgdata and consolekit is not a dependency for monodevelop...
flebber

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 06:29:27 pm »

They are not for monodevelop but they are for Mono. I built it (mono) using vpackager and builds failed unless gnome-sharp was installed. Gnome sharp required libgdata and consolekit as dependecies from gslapt.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:32:39 pm by flebber » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: