VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 08:37:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Access to local network but no internet access in browser  (Read 2472 times)
darjeelingtee

« on: June 19, 2011, 08:51:01 am »

Hi all,

I have recently posted a topic on linuxquestions.org where I detail my issue however having fixed the apparent network problems I still cannot access the internet through any browser. For background along with the specific details of my system and to avoid repeating myself overly please see the topic here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/wired-network-setup-problems-in-vector-linux-6-0-on-advent-6412-dvd-laptop-886919/.

In summary I can ping the router, google.com's IP address and the name www.google.com. Thus DNS seems to be working and I have full local and global access. I am now wondering whether this is a problem specific to Vector linux 6.0 standard hence my posting here.

I have double checked that I have no firewall running using:
Code:
ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/

I wonder, can anyone offer me any advice?

Cheers, Matt
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09:24 pm »

To see if a firewall is running as root type:

iptables -L

Have you checked your browser settings to see what connection is being used.

Firefox

Edit > preferences > Advanced> Network> Settings

Bigpaws
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09:58 pm »

what is the error when browsing www.google.com?

can u post your /etc/resolv.conf?

i assume u can ping your router IP successfully?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: