VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 05:58:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving the vector linux community.  (Read 12432 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: June 19, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »

Allright, I give up, time to give switching to xbuntu another go.

There I can have cinelerra, chrome, and anything else I may want point and click install without hair pulling or major aggravation.

I'm sure the developers and packagers do the very best they can, so I hope they don't take my critiscisms to heart.

1) I believe I've been hearing "That will be addressed in vector 7.0" about many things for over a year. The xfce 4 build is buggy and crashes occasionally by itself or especially when run with compiz. This happens on 4 computers I tried. Its not a hardware problem, there is a real problem with the build. Since it crashes without compiz, on different computers, different video cards and so on, its obviously a problem. XFCE is the core of the gui/user interface. I would think fixing this would be high priority, but people say downgrade to the last stable xfce. Xfce 4 is stable on other distros, why not in vector? Its the heart of the user interface, yet vector developers just ignore this for how long now?

2) Software availability. I've used vector for years, but Its awfully aggravating watching so many other distros having common things point and click install and staying with vector and having to make software from source or aggravate myself trying to do slackbuild installs. Granted I'm sure I learned alot more about linux that way. Maybe that was good for me, but its probably time to move on. Other distros have cinelerra, vector 7 will, but you have to buy a multimedia upgrade cd from a third party. Thats fine, but I've already bought vector cd's in the past and supported vector, now a third party wants cash so I can finally run the one decent video app available for linux? And when can I finally do this? Been waiting over a year already. The announcement about the multimedia upgrade cd came what 6 or 8 months ago? maybe more? But still I wait.

3) Lack of compiz support. Compiz works like a pig in vector, on the same hardware that ubuntu, mepis,debian, arch, and more work great. Crash crash crash goes the vector compiz. Compiz is the future UI of linux. Not supporting it fully leaves vector in the realm of the oldschool linux distros. The fact that it crashes all the time in vector but almost never on other distros speaks volumes. Apparently compiz is not a priority for vector linux, but that also speaks volumes.

I've learned a tremendous amount about linux by using vector over the years. I'm sure I may check in and see how 7.0 goes, but I need to get work done now, not next year. I just want to get things done on my computer, creative things mostly. I don't have the time or the energy to fight with slackbuilds, source tarballs and so on. Maybe my patience is the problem, but having used vector on one of my computers for 5+ years, always hoping these things would improve, but I don't think they have much. I think I've been patient enough. I wish you all the best of luck though.
Another thing, my critiscisms are meant to perhaps teach you why people give up and move on. I don't mean them to be vicious or overly critical. These are real concerns I have raised.

Steven
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »

What xubuntu have compare to VL is man power. There is not much developer/tester working on VL7.
BTW, compiz maybe a WOW factor for LINUX but is not the whole things of LINUX. I never use compiz on LINUX and don't think will use it in the future.
VL/LINUX is about choices and that why there is so many LINUX distro out there.

I wish you farewell and hope you can find the LINUX distro that suite your need.  Wink
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »

So far xbuntu sucks. Window decorations vanish on compiz, can't get the compiz cube going, looks like just 2 desktops.
Google and find 25 different fixes for title bar/window decoration, so far nothing is working to fix it.

Your right compiz is not all of linux, but its interface and way of working is beautiful, and I want that.

Steven
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:46 pm »

Too bad you won't be sticking around the community to help bring up and debug those issues that you mention. People to test and people to break things is just what VL needs to step up to the next level of quality.

But even more importantly than that, people who'll report and debug in conjunction with the developers inorder to find the root of the problem.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:54:30 pm »

I'd be damned happy to help fix those things, no one ever asked me to help. They gave excuses for the problems.

Also, no one ever offered me an advance on 7. I'd have helped with that Also.

If xfce 4 + compiz will be working well in 7 I'd do anything I could to help, but you guys have to let me and people like me in to help.

Grass is not always greener. I am trying other distos all seem alien to me. Vector I can work but there are things that I can not fix.
These things are so important and need fixing. I can't do it, I don't know how and these problems lead to my frustration with it.

Steven
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:00:58 pm »

VL always welcome any help it can get. You can post your problem in the forum or PM any of the VL admins and I am sure they gonna give your some response.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:23:01 pm »

Other distros have cinelerra, vector 7 will, but you have to buy a multimedia upgrade cd from a third party. Thats fine, but I've already bought vector cd's in the past and supported vector, now a third party wants cash so I can finally run the one decent video app available for linux? And when can I finally do this? Been waiting over a year already. The announcement about the multimedia upgrade cd came what 6 or 8 months ago? maybe more? But still I wait.

Two things...
One the multimedia upgrade cd has been available for VL7.0 since it was alpha. Completed it and put it up for sale on Dec. 10 see here... http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12698.0
Two, I actually got the idea of charging for it from you. Your post here... http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11745.msg74309#msg74309 where you suggested Vector could benifit from using a bounty system.

You've been a Vector supporter for a long time and I for one will be sorry to see you go.
The trouble really just stems from the size of the Development community.  I'm a retail manager by trade and most of my day is spent guiding customers to pen's, stationary, and electronic goods. If you go through my post history to the beginning you'll see I was green as grass as far as any Linux was concerned.  But google was my friend and when I wanted something fixed I figured it out and shared it with the communtiy. When I wanted a package I learned how to make packages, and I shared that with the community.  

I've read through a lot of your posts and I'd really hoped you'd be that part of the community that crossed over from user to motivated participant.  If I remember right you were making your own re-mixx at one time.  I've seen your post re: when is VL7.0 std final going to be released. I didn't see any posts of you testing it or providing input.   If you want a better Vector the VL7.0 release is your chance to make one.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
vectornewb

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:38:28 pm »

Didn't know VL had a community. This place is a digital ghost town. Cheesy

Dunno, sounds like you've come too far to give up now. Why not at least keep your VL install handy and upgrade when/if 7.0 does come out ? Seems a waste to spend so much time getting familiar with an OS, just to throw in the towel. Besides buntu blows chunks anyway. Constant beta distro ... out every 6 months, ready or not here it comes kinda deal.

All I can say is VL light 6.0 is linuxy goodness. Lightest distro I've been able to find yet. Amazing how light they made it. While still having a full featured OS. Haven't tried any of their full releases and not a big fan of eye candy. As long as there's everything someone needs to have a full OS, decent browser, file/package manager, office suite, photo editors etc blahblah. Even if it's not the latest versions of everything. Still has everything an avg PC user needs for everyday personal computing.

The stability and security of linux and a really user friendly OS. Not a bad deal for the people benefiting from the devs hard work and generosity in my book. Count your blessings and focus on what ya do have. Rather than what you think is missing perhaps ? Wink Errrrr , also not like you're stuck only having one. Don't think it's poss for someone to only have 1 favorite linux distro. At least I can't manage it. I'm at 3, doesn't stress this old dinosaur comp ... Trying to resist the urge to add more. VL light's my current favorite n most used though. Think it's an awesome work of software. Could almost run on the ram of a calculator, shrugs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:48:37 pm by vectornewb » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:19:43 am »

Steven, we'll miss you. And welcome you back.  Smiley
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:42:30 am »

Where can I get a beta of 7.0. Perhaps my xfce and compiz problems have been fixed in 7.0?

On the multimedia cd, Yes I believe in bounties and no problem paying for the cd, but perhaps clearer communication could help. And I was just pointing out other distros have cinelerra point and click install.

Right now I'm in distro limbo. Xbuntu no way, missing title bar problem with 16 pages on google with articles on how to fix. Tried many of them, nothing works.

Today I'm trying archlinux and a few others.

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:53 am »

Found a copy of vector 7 rc1. I'll give it a try I suppose, but if compiz/xfce4 aren't working very well, that being the heart of my system interface, I have to continue to look elsewhere. If it works without the problems 6.0 had I'd be happy to continue to use vector, these other distos don't feel very welcoming to me.

Nightflier, your right I left before for sometime but came back after not finding better options, perhaps the same will be true this time. We'll see how my patience holds out with trying new distros.

Yes I did make a respin of vl light 6.0 but how can I give it out when xfce4 is buggy in the vl6.0 build?
Here's an awsome desktop that crashes alot? That will not generate alot of confidence from a new user.

Steven
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:19:28 am by haywire » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:04:59 am »

Actually, RC1.7 is the latest...
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/vec7/VL70-STD-LIVE-RC1.7.iso

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:06:45 am »

Code:
Found a copy of vector 7 rc1. I'll give it a try I suppose, but if compiz/xfce4 aren't working very well, that being the heart of my system interface,

You won't find compiz on the vl release candidates yet.

I'll work on compiz today.

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:56 am »

tried vl7 rc 1.0 looks like compiz is installed out of the box, but the repositories don't have ccsm or fusion icon?

7 looks slick and stable, but no compiz so far. Audacity dosn't work, or won't install needs updated dependancies.

xfce build feels stable for vl7 rc1, but no compiz = sad. Sad

Rc2 coming soon? and will compiz be able to run? I'd like to try 7 with compiz and see how it works.
Without compiz, this xfce appears much better than my vl6 install.

This is not a good feeling. I'm stuck in linux limbo. I don't wanna stick with 6 with the problems I have with xfce/compiz, but the downtime getting my system back up with another option is killing my productivity.

Steven
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:16:02 am by haywire » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:33 am »

For audacity;
enable extra and testiing in gslapt sources and update. Then try audacity again.
I'll work on compiz today.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: