VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 10:36:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving the vector linux community.  (Read 13216 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

Should I install VL7 rc1.7 or stick with rc1?

Steven

EDIT : never mind, can't hurt having the newest rc, so I'm dowloading and installing rc1.7 now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:04:43 pm by haywire » Logged
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »

Vl7 rc 1 was a full install disc. This 1.7 was a live cd. Did the install anyway. Sound and network not working. Ran supervasm auto setup hw, still dosn't work.

All hardware worked with rc1 install. Back to linux limbo.

Steven
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »

haywire;
You can get the installdisk for vlrc1.7 here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/vec7/VL7.0-STD-RC1.7.iso

The there has not been as much testing on the live disk post installation as there has been on the install disk. 
Sorry, I don't think anyone intended to give the live version.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »

Vl7 rc 1 was a full install disc. This 1.7 was a live cd. Did the install anyway. Sound and network not working. Ran supervasm auto setup hw, still dosn't work.

All hardware worked with rc1 install. Back to linux limbo.

Steven

if would be helpful if you can post your hardware spec so that we can help to enable the module for you and include it in the next RC.

Pls post your result of lspci, lsmod...thanks
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

In the middle of installing and trying out linux mint xfce debian version. After that I'll try to do the 1.7 rc full install.

My hardware all worked in 6.0 standard and live, generic 2ghz intel pc, nvidia 512 meg video card, sblive emu10k, network built into motherboard.

Steven

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 06:04:03 pm »

In the middle of installing and trying out linux mint xfce debian version. After that I'll try to do the 1.7 rc full install.

My hardware all worked in 6.0 standard and live, generic 2ghz intel pc, nvidia 512 meg video card, sblive emu10k, network built into motherboard.

Steven

What we need is detail spec...pls post your lspci and lsmod when you can...it will really help VL7 in the long run with this kind of info...thanks
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:27:22 pm »

I suspect some of the driver modules are not in the 1.7 live install but are in the standard install. Will try to install 1.7 standard tonight...

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »

Done with linux mint, now installing rc1.7 standard. That will be my third install. (rc1std, then rc1.7 live, next 1.7 standard)

My thoughts on vector 7 are very positive from what I saw, although I hate cairo and think you should make removing it more obvious.I couldn't really figure out how to get rid of it, so I simply removed cairo with gslapt.
Xfce seemed very slick and stable though. Not sure I like the "lets be like ubuntu" moving of the menu bar on top and so on, but this is just stock and easily changeable.

2 days of linux installs = not fun. I heard a funny quote today "Linux is free, but only if your time is not worth anything to you." in some ways thats very true. I'm 2 days down installing different distos and finding alot of the same problems I had with vector elsewhere. Now I'm going to give vl 7 a real workout, I just hope the compiz build works well. Most other things I need I can build from source if I have to.

Steven

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:54:40 pm by haywire » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »

Me too had to make a decission after VL6 had become erratic on a HP-2133
similar to my desktp PC where suddenly 'wish' does not work or on booting
will not connect to the Internet. Have to use now wicd manually all the time.

For the HP-2133 was the question to reinstall VL6 or look for a newer
similar box since the VL7 installer wouldnt work on this gadget. I found another distro
almost identical and all works fine with it. Owner of HP-2133 very happy again, so am I
since I do not have to answer so many "whys" anymore.

However, needless to say I will switch back to VL once things have been
sorted out for the 7 version.

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »

Perhaps I'll do the same, I just got tried of constant crashes with xfce4 on vl6. Maybe I should have just downgraded the xfce as people suggested and saved myself all this hassle. Steven
vectornewb

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

"Linux is free, but only if your time is not worth anything to you."

lol ... you're the VL forum king of one liners in this thread. Here's a great desktop that crashes a lot was my other personal favorite so far. Cheesy

Both good points though too. At least with the time invested in nix you're learning an interesting and valuable skill and that's worth something. Doubt you'd be doing it if you didn't have a thing for playing with comps. It's kinda like a hobby for many nix users I think.

Keep hearing linux isn't ready for this n that around though. Don't believe that. Linux is just fine for PC users imo ( for that matter even mass scale corp/institutional deployment ). Though only my opinion. Seems like that having to have the latest thing can really bork someone's life up. It's nice, but in my mind ... again. As long as a full featured, stable OS is available to anyone who wants an alternative to closed source craptastic corp OS's.

Then no matter what that cannot be a bad thing. So rolling back to xfce 2.6 isn't the end of the world. As long as you've got a fast, stable OS with all the tools on it to do daily tasks ya want to do. As mentioned too. Don't know about you but I can't help but doing the distro hop. It's fun and interesting to see what all is out there and avail in the nix world.

All personal preference o course. But no reason you can't have your xfce 2.8 DE and keep vector linux if you've grown fond of it along the way. Think that's great though. The spirit of competition among nix/FOSS devs. People are going to use the one they like the best. Keeps raising the bar for the devs behind all this great software. Us endusers and fanbases for the software they create are truly blessed.

I mean really have invested more than a lil bit of time getting my bearings where linux is concerned. But it's been its own reward too. Plus honestly with software like VL light 6.0 avail. I could save myself a fortune if I feel like it. Would never have to buy retail comp hardware again. Think VL lite 6 could blaze along just fine on a comp with 256mbs/ram. Those are a dime a dozen.

Cheesy
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 09:22:40 pm »

Posting from vl7 rc1.7. It appears that everything is stable and working.

Tried compiz install from gslapt but starting fusion icon does not work, and I tried the 1vl, 2vl versions. Looks like 3vl not ready yet?

Yes I suppose I must like screwing around with this stuff or I wouldn't keep doing it. Downgrading back to 6.0 vl with older more stable xfce is stil an option I suppose.

I tried xbuntu, mint, archlinux and gentoo. None of them seemed any better for me. Back to linux limbo...

Steven

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »

Should have mentioned chrome on vl7 is working beautifully. Its super fast even on this old hardware.

Does anyone have any idea how long it may take before compiz is working on vl7 alpha?

xfce seems very stable. No crashes so far, and I really ran it through some stuff.

Steven

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »

haywire, got a treat for you. Compiz is up and ready for testing.  
After updating gslapt, search for compiz-meta and install it.
It will install everything you need.
Start compiz with menu>>system>>fusion-icon.  This you know.

Now here is the important bit.
Your windows will have no decorations title bars, and you can't move them but don't panic, but it's not a bug, there are just no settings pre-set.

Right click on the fusion-icon icon on the panel and start the settings manager.
Under the word "Filter" there is a search window...type decoration in it. Then select the box that comes up. You will see your titlebar and decoration appear.
Then search the word "move".  Then click the box for "move window".  You can now move your windows.
Then search the word "size". Then click the box for "size window"
after that you can add what every you wish.  As you know there is a lot you can choose to do.
Everything actually works right out of the box. It just has no settings preset.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »

PS after installing "compiz-meta"
I'd appreciate any input you have. I've tested myself on three computers one ati and two nvidia.  However, there is a lot of nvidia and ati cards out there and I can't predict your result, but if you let me know maybe I can use that info.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: