VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 03:38:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving the vector linux community.  (Read 12685 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2011, 03:09:59 pm »

I tried installing the vlnvidia module. If I untar it, it unzips to install sbin and usr folders on my desktop.
open a terminal in install folder, sh doinst.sh does nothing. Am I missing something?

Yes. That is not how it works. After you install the vlnvidia package (using the package manager), reboot to TUI, log in as root and run "vxconf". Select the nvidia driver when given the option. You need the kernel sources installed as well.

Alternative method (my fav .. again, you need the kernel sources); Boot to TUI, run in as root. Download the latest nV driver file, make it executable, and run it:
Code:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/275.09.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:12:34 pm by nightflier » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2011, 03:24:26 pm »

Granny we'll agree to disagree. I actually use the compiz cube interace to keep all my most used apps open at all times. After you get used to this, its really hard to go back to flatworld.

I tried installing the vlnvidia module. If I untar it, it unzips to install sbin and usr folders on my desktop.

open a terminal in install folder, sh doinst.sh does nothing. Am I missing something?

I don't think I ever installed vlnvidia module. I have no idea what it does. If nobody can help you, I suppose you could try to copy whatever is in /sbin on the desktop into /sbin on the system and /usr on the desktop into the system /usr. Can you read the script as a text file? If so, go through the steps manually.

If you're trying to install a VL6 video driver file into VL7, you might be running into incompatibilities. That's the problem with ATI drivers and older cards. The drivers don't work with the current xorg and kernel and I'm not aware of any way around this. This is a pure guess, however.

Did you try downloading the proper driver for your video card from NVidia? If I recall correctly, it was a binary file that was easy to run and install.

As for compiz, you don't have to justify liking it. If you like it, you like it and it's your choice. I can't say I can see how the cube is any easier than a plain pager for keeping track of all your open apps--or even better, a center click on the desktop. I keep a sliver margin on the right edge of my screen so that I can always click on the desktop easily without having to minimize anything. It's not glamorous at all but sure is efficient. In fact, I remove the pager from the Panel because it's unnecessary and just takes up space because I get the same function from a center click.

I do hope you get your desired graphics driver installed. Sorry I can't help with that.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2011, 03:26:04 pm »

Just finished a clean install. Trying the previous method given, which is to download the proper driver script, go to init 2 and run nvidia install. I setup my initial install to use default vesa xorg.conf so I see no reason why that should not work this time...

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2011, 03:34:21 pm »

Crashed in the middle of nvidia installing drivers again. This is from a clean install after selecting "default vesa xorg.conf"

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2011, 03:48:00 pm »

vlnvidia package, I don't understand how to install it. If I untar it and try to run the install script doinst.sh nothing happens. Your saying install it with the package manager? Do you mean gslapt? Look on the sources list this location is not there. I can't install it from glslapt, so how to install it manually from the downloaded file?

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »

Yea, I remember being confused about the whole package manager thing.
If you downloaded the tlz file for vlnvidia, install it in a terminal, as root, with command:
Code:
installpkg /path/to/package
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »

Now the system won't even boot up. doing a clean install AGAIN.

Yeah its a great idea not including the drivers install in initial install.

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2011, 04:29:34 pm »

Now the installer won't even start. I think I give up. I have two borked hard drives (probably fixable with gparted booted from cd) but still.

On one hard drive, which the bios sees, the fdisk utility does not see. On the other drive, the installed crashes and reboots while finding the install media. Tried twice with both, can't even do a clean install again at this point... Unless I want to try another hard drive.

This adventure may not prove me right, or the decision to not include the proper drivers in initial install, but I find myself asking if I had so much problems trying to get this working, a user with less experience has no hope of getting this working unless he gets lucky with another video card.

Geoforce 6200 is very common nvidia 512 meg card. You really should not have to pull your hair out trying ten different things for 2 days and do 10 clean installs trying 10 more things to get the nvidia drivers working. These used to work right out of the box with vl6. Taking them out of the initial install is a completely bad idea. In vl6, you ran the install, the drivers installed and worked out of the box.

I'm a farily experienced linux user. I couldn't get this working. No regular user would put two days and try all these things, they would simply move on to the next disto that included proper drivers. You can all persist in your belief that leaving these drivers out of the initial install is a great idea, but I disagree, and I have just had the perfect experience to prove why.

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

Steven, that is a real bummer. Still, the nvidia driver plus kernel sources add up to 75MB or so. That's more than 10% of a CD. Adding the ATI drivers would make it even more. I hope you find a satisfactory solution somewhere, and soon.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 05:05:05 pm »

I wonder why xubuntu works out of the box and its a cd install too then. Compiz has missing title bar/window decoration problem but I didn't try very hard to fix that when I test installed it. That problem existed in vl6 too but was easy to fix as I recall.

Steven

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »

Xubuntu, like most non-Slackware distros, does not include the developer libraries needed to compile many programs. VectorLinux comes with just about everything you need to compile from source. VL7 comes with Fluxbox, too. That's all I can say, since I don't know what programs are included in Xubuntu.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

Doing a new clean install on another machine, but with the same nvidia video card. I found another nvidia card but an older one in the meantime. I suppose I can try that next.

Linux limbo sucks. I should have never opened this can of worms.

Next time, just downgrade xfce you dumbass.

Steven
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:33 pm »

Maybe we should start from the beginning again...did u follow the video guide?
Pls write down step by step what you did...

BTW, what is your computer full spec?

pls post your lspci and lsmod...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:44:47 pm by hata_ph » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 08:05:08 pm »

We were tossing ideas around on the forum about your situation.  None of has had a nvidia do a reboot on us except for oMasta.  In his situation it was bad ram or the lack of ram and was corrected when he added some new sticks of a larger size.
If you hava a rescue cd (there are plenty on distrowatch) maybe you can run a mem test.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=systemrescue

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »

I don't think its a ram issue, the ram works fine in windows install, and worked fine in vl6. I don't have any spare ram to check that out. Maybe I'll get some just to be sure, either that or I'm going to find a whole other computer to try this on.

Right now I have work to do, especially graphics and since I use my linux box for all that stuff, I have people waiting for finished work with nothing done right now. I'll have to do my work in windows gimp and other editors for the time being and get back to this nightmare once I catch up on my work.
hata_ph I posted my full specs and lspci dump before.

Steven
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: