VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 11:44:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving the vector linux community.  (Read 12009 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 05:01:26 am »

I've been watching this thread from the sidelines as it develops and I think it's time for to vent off on the subject.

Let me start by saying that i've been a part of this community for the past 6 years or so. During that time, I've seen users come and go... I've read complaints, I've complained myself here and there... With that said, please everyone understand that what i'm about to say is not meant in a way to hurt anyone.

@steven
If you feel like VL is hold you back, by all means.... try others, but before you do, stop for a minute and think about what's happening here.  This community is working hard to please YOU. They've built YOUR requested packages.  They are tossing ideas around to try to help you... This is the 75th post to this thread.... That has to show you that they're doing what they can.  And somehow, you still manage to rant about things missing and why the distro is not shaped to fit YOUR particular desires.  To be honest with your, I didn't even think anyone was still using compiz.  In the ubuntu world, compiz has always been there, but nobody uses the cube, they just call it "enhanced desktop effects".  But seems you still want your cube.... Which is fine, we all have preferences.  A lot of us here are happy with a text login, others prefer a desktop manager, window manager, etc.

You have to realize that you're asking for a lot from a community that has offered as much help as it can give you, considering everyone here including the people who build YOUR packages, the people who put the distro together, and the people who posted on your thread are all just volunteering.  So keep that in mind before you post again saying that the distro should drop 75MB of software to make room for what you want.  I agree with you when you say we have so many browsers, media players, etc... True... but the way I see it, there are more people who surf the web and work with media every day than there are those who use the compiz cube (no offense).

You have to understand, the distro is shaped to fit "most people's needs".  You have no idea how much work goes into making the stuff work for as many people as possible, trust me on that one.

If you want hand-holding, VL or most slackware-type distros is not what you want.  So, feel free to try and poke around any distro you like... That's the beauty of free and open source software. You are by no means stuck with what you've got. 

If you really want something that works perfectly for you, I would suggest you build your own flavour using something like debian or arch, or even build LFS... do what you want with it.

I hope you dont take any of this the wrong way.  As you have seen from this thread, this community has tried hard to help you out.  If you really want the help, take the advice and quit complaining that the stuff doesn't work out of the box... With proprietary hardware and drivers, It almost never works on most distros anyway... that's just it.

@ the rest of the community
Looks like this guy has made up his mind... It's ovbious he feels the distro doesn't fit his needs anymore.  I hate to see any user go, but this happens all the time in all *nix communities.

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2011, 05:22:43 am »

Hey I agree everyone has been wonderful trying to help me. I'm a bit frustrated because I don't have spare ram to see if that is the issue after all. It actually would explain why the system which was once very stable started crashing alot. Bad ram crashes computers period. If that is the issue, which I have no way of knowing, I truly apologise. I ran a check and the ram came up good, but I've seen ram check good that was definitely bad in the past.
As I recall, my vector linux 6 system, which was on this same hardware, was working great until I ungraded xfce. The reason I upgraded xfce was due to wanting to customize the desktop, removing the home folder and so on. I know thats silly to some people, but I did it just to do that. Then it started crashing alot to the nvidia screen alot, most often while also running compiz. My other frustration was wanting chrome working, which I probably borked a few things up but good trying to get working. On the cube...
I know many people who use the compiz cube. It takes awhile to get used to that way of working, but trust me in that once you get used to having it, you really do feel like you can't live without it. It may seem like just eye candy to some but the 3d cube has a function. Its all in how you perceive your computing world I suppose. Your right I suppose I can't expect an entire community to make sacrifices due to my preferred way of working.
My "extra computer" is always worlds behind the latest and the greatest. This is why I gravitated towards xfce and vector, which I have loved.  In truth, my linux computer is always cobbled together from trash. That may indeed be the source of alot of my problems. If that is the case, I sincerely apologise. I'd prefer to stick around if I can get a computer going with vector again, so mods change the thread title to "Trying to stay in the vectorlinux community
" please! - Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 05:39:26 am »

One other thing. I don't want to get into specifics but lets just say getting a new 2ghz-3ghz or faster computer even used is beyond my means at the moment. I'm having a pretty tough time right now. As soon as I can get something off ebay in the 2-3ghz range, I will try vl7 again. Honestly this frankenstein monster may be 1/2 my problem.

Until then, I'm shit out of luck quite honestly, as I have all my clients video projects on my windows computer. If that computer goes down I will literally starve to death so I can't afford to risk trying to do a dual boot or something on my windows box.

My linux limbo sucks, and I look over and see it (my linux computer) dead and I feel like my whole world is gone. The data kept on her is safe in backups, but that computer was 1/2 my world. I'm sure many of you can understand that feeling and why I got so pissed off, and I apologise for that.

Steven

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 11:55:55 am »

um,..
I've been reading and following this thread with interest.  Nvidia (the legacy drivers) are pretty important to me, too.  And I really LOVED VL6 for having it right OOTB.  I really don't use "The Cube" or anything like that,...(I have somewhat older computers,..and several really older ones).  So 3D doesn't do hysterically good on my stuff.  It's just that, since I have several Nvidia cards in my junk,...I like to sqeeze out the very best from them.
  That said,...VL7 comes with nouveau, you say?  I believe I saw a listing of VL7's apps that showed that.  And mesa is also included?  Doesn't mesa (correct me if I'm wrong) provide the nouveau driver with direct rendering (i.e....3D effects)?  I know the newer Xorg won't be working with the older legacy Nvidia drivers, anyhow,....so Nouveau with mesa might just work for me (even though Nouveau is still considered experimental,...and may not work totally like the proprietary drivers just yet).
EDIT:  I was able to get the Nvidia legacy driver going in Slackware 13.37 without a hitch,...so perhaps I could also in VL7.  But I want to try out the Nouveau + mesa first.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:00:11 pm by nitehawk » Logged
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2011, 07:15:41 pm »

While I understand why you're upset you've been asked multiple times for "exact" specs and the outputs of lsusb (which you gave) and lsmod.  It's a little hard to help when you do not provide the information requested.  I too run ancient hardware.  I too cannot afford the latest and greatest (or even anything newer than what I have right now) but the exact specs could help a little bit.  Good Luck.

Regards,
Deach

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 09:32:20 pm »

I gave the lspci info in this thread. The others would hang and not give output while I still had the system up. Its down now and won't likely be back up anytime soon. After a marathon of fighting with it I'm spent. I will attempt an install on other hardware next, but I'm not sure when that will be.

Steven
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:56 am »

Yes I meant lspci sorry and I mentioned you provided that.  Although I do not use compiz or any of the fancy stuff I can understand the "want" for it.  I can also see where it could be useful.  Sometimes as times change so have to distro's so cover the newer stuff coming out and also I know a lot of distros have went to the Nouveau for Nvidia.  Hopefully you'll get your hardware sorted out and get it working just the way you like. 

Regards,
Deach

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
Moimême (modif30/10)

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2011, 01:49:19 am »

Bonjour,

>3) Lack of compiz support.

Well as Vector is focussing on working on old or small power computer I do not share your disappointement about powerwasting software like compiz. The last kde desktop in laptop mode woul made you delighted.

Cordialement.

Where to clic to have my vectorlinux account deleted ?
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:16 am »

IMO, Vector 6 Standard is still great and very usable even in 2011. I'm posting from it now, using the latest version of Opera. There's only one minor flaw with it on my machine; the terminal in Xfce crashes Xfce completely. I'm hoping to find a fix for that soon, but for now I'm using mrxvt instead.

BTW, Mint's a very good, maybe even great, distro IMO but it needs more system resources to run it than Vector does. I can run either Vector 6 or 7 easily on my 10 year old Compaq P III (with 512 MB of RAM), but Mint 11 (even the lightweight version with LXDE) struggles on it, especially the install.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:44:33 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: