VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:16:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spam  (Read 2289 times)
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« on: June 20, 2011, 11:17:44 pm »

The forum is so full of spam these days that it's getting hard to read. I just came back after a few hours away and found 4 pages of posts with only a handful of valid ones scattered amongst them. I know that someone labours away in the background on our behalf deleting them, but I wonder if it's time to beef up the preventative measures?
Andy
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:56 am »

You are right Andy.  I think Vec is looking into getting one of those recognize the letters and numbers in the picture thingy's added to the new member sign in.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:10:36 am »

Is this as big an issue for other distro sites? I don't go to many others (ClearOS is pretty much the only one as I use that OS for my server). I don't notice any spam posts on that forum. Here it seems to happen several times a week.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:30 am »

Is this as big an issue for other distro sites? I don't go to many others (ClearOS is pretty much the only one as I use that OS for my server). I don't notice any spam posts on that forum. Here it seems to happen several times a week.

There are several good solutions to avoid this... the people that host the forum for us are working on getting ours fixed.

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »

A BSD forum I enjoy is almost spam-free. I mention this one because; in variety of users, attractiveness to spammers, and available time of the moderators and admins; it's the closest comparison to here I know of. These limitations are placed on new users:

* Unable to post links.
    * Unable to post any images.
    * Unable to use signatures.
    * Unable to edit posts.
    * No access to some features like social groups, albums, PM, email users, etc.

After 5 days or five posts the restrictions go away. A couple of our spammers have shown a lot of patience and a willingness to do work by hand, so more checking than five days/posts might be necessary here. Some details on daemonforums' policy are here. Please don't contact that poster with forum-related questions, he's since retired after long service. A post to the proper forum would almost definitely get help in this regard from his successors or so. If an admin here would like, I'd do the initial legwork to put you in touch if you prefer.

I don't like the idea of more hassles for new users; new-user-friendliness is one of the things VL forums are rightly known for. But it seems necessary and worth the trade-off, if it's explained when signing up. Not long since I was a new user at daemonforums and had to post a URL to make my meaning clear. No problem -- just posted in in plain text and was easily understood. It's just not spammer-friendly, which is the idea.

I've seen a simpler, lower-bandwidth "captcha" than Captcha. Don't know how it's done, but I can find out if an admin requests.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »

roarde good tips, we need to do something about this. It's getting tiresome.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:37:02 am »

CAPTCHA is pretty worthless at this point. Bots can read the image now, and the more difficult ones are flagged for human intervention.

I, too, have set restrictions on the forums I run. New users aren't allowed to use PMs or signatures. Only I know the magic number of posts needed to lift those restrictions.

A better registration block is a question and answer routine. Bots can't answer a question, and for the few humans that get through, they can be nailed easily enough.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: