VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 12:45:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 67492 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:52 am »

Nightflier, are you wanting this testing on live version

Live is good for testing. Launching Xarchiver from the menu. I get consistent errors with .bz2 and .rar formats. I can add one file or folder, but after that the icon for adding more is grayed out. Some times I get errors, others I don't. Maybe it's Virtualbox.. I need to move to real hardware for testing.

Edit: Granted, this is on the same hardware, but running live off a CD, using Xarchiver to create an achive, add a folder (Desktop), close and then re-open it, only works as expected with .tar.bz2, .tar.gz, .tar.lzma, .tar.xz, .jar and .zip. All other formats produce errors. If I'm the only one experiencing those problems, I need to go shopping for new hardware. Sad
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:10:04 pm by nightflier » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2011, 05:27:53 pm »

No problem for me create, add, delete tar.gz bz2 from RC2  Roll Eyes
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:44 pm »

Brasero has a function saying: Disc copy,  create a 1:1 copy of a CD/DVD.

I never tried it, only burning CDs.

Maybe I'll make the ultimate sacrifice, install it, and report the results.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2011, 03:14:14 am »

Maybe I'll make the ultimate sacrifice, install it, and report the results.
--GrannyGeek

Harakiri? Wakaranai! How could you report after?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2011, 06:51:52 am »

.tar.gz and .tar.bz2 work for me as well.

However, on 3 different computers (4 if you count Virtualbox), using VL7.0-STD-LIVE-RC2.iso (md5sum checked, burned at 8x), when I click Menu > Accessories > Xarchiver >> Create new archive > type "test" and accept defaults > Add > double-click Desktop > OK ...  I get an error. A file is added to the archive, but it is a plain text file with the contents of the .desktop files in the folder. When I go down the list of formats, about half of them work.

The same thing happens on my HDD installed version of RC2. Maybe it's the heat wave we're experiencing in Ohio?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:43 am »

.tar.gz and .tar.bz2 work for me as well.

However, on 3 different computers (4 if you count Virtualbox), using VL7.0-STD-LIVE-RC2.iso (md5sum checked, burned at 8x), when I click Menu > Accessories > Xarchiver >> Create new archive > type "test" and accept defaults > Add > double-click Desktop > OK ...  I get an error. A file is added to the archive, but it is a plain text file with the contents of the .desktop files in the folder. When I go down the list of formats, about half of them work.

The same thing happens on my HDD installed version of RC2. Maybe it's the heat wave we're experiencing in Ohio?

OK so here is my test.
For bz2, gz, lzma, xz, lzh, rar, 7z and tar.
I started out by compressing just a single file.
Each worked exept for ....
 xz ( which produced a segmentation fault error)
rar (which said "No such process rar)
7z seemed to work, but the compression was corrupted and the file could not be opened afterwards.
and fwiw the best compression came from....lzma.  Worst was tar with no compression at all.

Next tried compressing mulitiple file and folders.
bz2, gz, lzma, xz,   will not let you select more than one file (perhaps that's all it is designed for.  This would also explain why they don't work with folders.)
rar produced the same error (of course), but allowed for the selection of more than one file.
lzh, tar, zip, jar, tar.xz, tar.lzma, tar.gz and tar.bz2  for multiple files or folders...worked.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:30 am »

I've been getting regular kernel panics on boot, right after the udev warnings. Finally got my hands on a camera and took a picture. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/kernelpanic.jpg

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2011, 09:50:05 am »

My lose-keyboard-lose-mouse problem on the Sempron has gotten much worse in the past couple of days. It happened regularly within an hour and today it happened within 10 minutes of starting VL7. The computer is essentially unusable. This problem happens without warning and there is no trace of the cause in the logs that I could find.

The computer has not crashed. If I'm listening to music or have video running, it continues. But neither keyboard nor mouse responds, so the only way to regain control of computer is to turn it off with the power switch and restart.

I'm now trying to determine whether the problem is with the hardware or with Linux. I don't recall that I've ever had this happen when I run Windows on this computer. However, I usually don't spend enough time in Windows to know whether the keyboard and mouse would vanish eventually. I am now running Windows and will for several hours, which should give me a good idea of the situation.

I don't seem to have the problem on the Athlon 64 computer. Considering how hot it has been here the past several days, I thought maybe it was heat. However, given that the computer does not stop or slow down, I don't think it's heat. I did have the Sempron on for a few hours in console mode (no X) and I didn't have the problem. So I'm thinking maybe it has to do with X or with the nouveau driver. If I can keep the computer functioning long enough to install the proprietary NVidia driver, I'll see what happens. I'll also install VL7 on another partition just in case something got corrupted.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2011, 11:41:45 am »

I've read a post from another user who had similar mouse/keyboard hanging issues on a sempron system and appending one or two arguments to the bootloader fixed the problem:
Append 'idle=poll' and/or 'maxcpus=1' to the (lilo) kernel parameters

Easy enough to try.

BTW, did you ever test out NeroLinux or did brasero work out better. Just wondering mostly about how easily NeroLinux installed, if you tried, and if at all.

EDIT: source: http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/about161699.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:49:59 pm by newt » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2011, 12:43:16 pm »

Thanks, newt. When I next boot into Linux on the Sempron, I'll give that LILO modification a try. I have nothing to lose!

I didn't try NeroLinux (didn't know there was such a beast) or Bracero. I don't like to have computers on when it's beastly hot, plus I'm dealing with the no keyboard/no mouse problem. It's cooler today but right now I'm using Windows to see if I lose keyboard and mouse after several hours. So far no problems.
--GrannyGeek

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2011, 12:47:28 pm »

I've read a post from another user who had similar mouse/keyboard hanging issues on a sempron system and appending one or two arguments to the bootloader fixed the problem:
Append 'idle=poll' and/or 'maxcpus=1' to the (lilo) kernel parameters

Easy enough to try.

BTW, did you ever test out NeroLinux or did brasero work out better. Just wondering mostly about how easily NeroLinux installed, if you tried, and if at all.

Grannygeek, very curious to see if this works for you.  It does explain some things from my testing.  I've only been able to duplicate the freeze live installs on my nvidia laptop.  I don't believe you use an installed live version so that didn't tie in, but live does use lilo, which if this is right would make sense.  Can you confirm that you use lilo on the system that experiences the freezes, also, let us know if the fix works.  If it is not too much trouble it may be interesting if the same system had a fresh install using grub2 as the boot loader then see if the problem occurs.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »

I do use LILO on the system that loses keyboard/mouse. I hope I'll have a chance to try the possible fix tomorrow. Right now I'm still in Windows on that system and no freezes, so I'm pretty sure this is a Linux problem.

I've never been able to get my head around grub, so I don't think I'll give that a try. My computers are grub-free zones.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2011, 02:23:52 am »

I pretty much agree with Granny here. Grub IMO seems to be a bit "hit and miss" where automatic installs are concerned, as opposed to LILO which pretty much always works IME when it's installed automatically. If you don't use any other distros there's probably no point in learning your way round Grub; even Absolute Linux (another Slack-based distro) uses LILO by default as well.

The impression I get is that Grub2 is more of a "crapshoot" than Grub 1, or Legacy, as well.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:37:15 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2011, 09:01:39 am »

I don't like to have computers on when it's beastly hot,
GrannyGeek

Weather's wonderful here in Reno.  Lots of vacant houses, cheap.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2011, 11:55:48 am »

I added
idle=poll
to my LILO parameters and so far, so good. I've had the system up about two hours and have been busy the whole time. The lockup would have occurred if it had followed the pattern of the last few days. I never did have the loss of keyboard and mouse in Windows (2-1/2 days up and pretty busy during that time).

I'm posting this message prematurely in order to bait the gremlins.<g> If I say "it's working," the gremlins will want to show me that it isn't. I probably shouldn't have posted this where the gremlins can see it.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: